• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Invincible

Morning all, does anyone know the ID’s of the 701’s that were at Clapham on Sunday morning ?

I noted 701037, 701042, 701043 and 2 others that I couldn’t quite see

Any help appreciated

Rich
Although 5Q50/51/52 tests are running from Eastleigh, one of the trains at Clapham last week did the 5Q20/21 Hounslow loop tests, but from Realtimetrains website does not seem to be running yesterday or today?.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Morning all, does anyone know the ID’s of the 701’s that were at Clapham on Sunday morning ?

I noted 701037, 701042, 701043 and 2 others that I couldn’t quite see

Any help appreciated

Rich
U.701014 was in Clapham Yard when I passed yesterday, the same place as it was when I passed last Friday.

Invincible

There seemed to be what looked like a 10 car 701 at Feltham (behind a fence so could not clearly see it) later gone.
No 5Q10 (Reading) or 5Q20/22 tests, but from RTT 5Q51 has started late from Woking.

There seemed to be what looked like a 10 car 701 at Feltham (behind a fence so could not clearly see it) later gone.
No 5Q10 (Reading) or 5Q20/22 tests, but from RTT 5Q51 has started late from Woking.
U.701021 is on 5Q51 today, started 5Q53 at Eastleigh 1016 and only ran to Woking.

SWT_USER

Saw one in Clapham yard with Shepperton on the destination blind. Have they been up that way yet?

Any date for a start on driver training?

DMckduck97

Any update on how these trains will be operated? Been dragging on a bit much now, surely a bit of transparency would help.

Bigfoot

Any update on how these trains will be operated? Been dragging on a bit much now, surely a bit of transparency would help.
When a decision/agreement is made I'm sure it will quickly appear here. Until then everything is speculation.

jamieh27

My understanding is that they may start 701 services on the Waterloo to Reading service so they can get some 458s off and get them sent to be converted more and also relinqush the 707s as well so they can go to Southeastern.

On Moderation
My understanding is that they may start 701 services on the Waterloo to Reading service so they can get some 458s off and get them sent to be converted more and also relinqush the 707s as well so they can go to Southeastern.
The 707s are going regardless of 701 introduction. There's no sign of the 701s being introduced and there's now only two 707s in traffic and they finish imminently.

DelW

Established Member
The 707s are all but gone already (down to one pair in service according to another thread). There seems to be little point in converting more 458s to 4-car when SWR seems to have no intention of using them in that form.

Goldfish62

Established Member
There's not that many 458s on Reading services.

According to the latest issue of Modern Railways they will enter service first on Windsor services.

On Moderation
According to the latest issue of Modern Railways they will enter service first on Windsor services.
That is a bit ambiguous - it could mean Windsor or it could mean Windsor lines. Which may mean Reading.

swr444

There's not that many 458s on Reading services.

“Windsor line services” which include Reading, shepperton, Kingston rounder and Hounslow loop trains

Goldfish62

Established Member
“Windsor line services” which include Reading, shepperton, Kingston rounder and Hounslow loop trains
I've used the "Windsor lines" network almost daily for the past 30 years and have never considered Shepperton to be part of it, but the Chertsey line clearly is.

It had been previously reported that they were going to enter service either to Reading or Windsor first, and the decision has now been taken that it will be Windsor first. Not Reading, Hounslow or Chertsey.

swr444

I've used the "Windsor lines" network almost daily for the past 30 years and have never considered Shepperton to be part of it, but the Chertsey line clearly is.

It had been previously reported that they were going to enter service either to Reading or Windsor first, and the decision has now been taken that it will be Windsor first. Not Reading, Hounslow or Chertsey.
Shepperton falls under the Windsor line wessex integrated control so for us who work on the railway it is.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Shepperton falls under the Windsor line wessex integrated control so for us who work on the railway it is.
Meanwhile the Windsor Lines Passengers Association covers Windsor and Reading lines, Hounslow loop, Kingston loop, Chertsey and Camberley branches, but not Shepperton.

Personally I've always regarded the Windsor lines part of the Kingston loop as Waterloo to Strawberry Hill via Twickenham only.

Perhaps we should start a thread on what constitutes the "Windsor lines" and where the boundaries are. :)

Anyway, back to 701s...

jamieh27

I didn't know Shepperton fell under Windsor lines I know services from Waterloo to Shepperton go through the Windsor lines via Richmond during peak times or engineering works.