• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Waterlemon

This week was definitely the plan until recently, but I was told last week nothing until next year now.
Not sure where you heard that. The planned date for the soft launch was shown as week commencing 03.12.23 internally and thats what everyone was working towards. I imagine a mix of PTI testing, asos, and the RMT have caused it to slip.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TEW

Established Member
Not sure where you heard that. The planned date for the soft launch was shown as week commencing 03.12.23 internally and thats what everyone was working towards. I imagine a mix of PTI testing, asos, and the RMT have caused it to slip.
Yes, this was post ASLEF action being announced when I understood the date had slipped to this week. But last week I heard this had been put back again.

Vanmanyo

AJDesiro

Surely the likelihood of getting 100% of the available 701 drivers is quite slim?

And it could just be the misfortune of RTT not being able to get the fleet number like quite a few of SWR services (see this Hampton Court one today) https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:Y02603/2023-12-19/detailed
Driver allocations aren’t necessarily random, if it was a 701 turn, the traincrew diagrams should be done in a way that ensures only 701 traincrew are signing them.

Vanmanyo

I reckon if anything does run tomorrow/Thursday it will be as a VSTP path which will pop up at the last minute.
How last minute is last minute? I would quite like to go down to go on it, but living in the Midlands I would need some level of knowledge of when one is running!

Kite159

Veteran Member
How last minute is last minute? I would quite like to go down to go on it, but living in the Midlands I would need some level of knowledge of when one is running!
Probably for the first run maybe less than an hour's notice assuming SWR want to keep it under wraps until the last moment

Vanmanyo

Probably for the first run maybe less than an hour's notice assuming SWR want to keep it under wraps until the last moment
Yeah that's fair enough. When do you think a best bet would be to go. I'm thinking tomorrow or Thursday but I don't wanna gamble one and miss out!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Your right - not many 10car showing on RTT for Windsor and Eaton Riverside anyway so makes ruling out 458s easier than checking everything..
Only one 10 car out today, from the look of it. 458 536 + 458 521. Everything else is showing as 8 cars. :(

And it could just be the misfortune of RTT not being able to get the fleet number like quite a few of SWR services (see this Hampton Court one today) https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:Y02603/2023-12-19/detailed
It could simply not yet be allocated because the depot might have a choice of what stock to send out on it yet. It should be obvious by 14.25, though...

1702981772967.png

Vanmanyo

It could simply not yet be allocated because the depot might have a choice of what stock to send out on it yet. It should be obvious by 14.25, though...
Let's wait and see
I'm sort of hoping it isn't today as I'm thinking of going out tomorrow or Thursday in the hope that there is one running (What do you think is most ideal?)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Let's wait and see
I'm sort of hoping it isn't today as I'm thinking of going out tomorrow or Thursday in the hope that there is one running (What do you think is most ideal?)
Well... I cannot forecast the 701 but the weather forecast is better tomorrow than today or Thursday, so... take your pick!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There's a 5Q17 at 19.03 from Windsor to Waterloo this evening which comes from Feltham depot as 5Q16; it runs into platform 23 at Waterloo then goes ecs to Clapham Yard.

It could be worth watching that in case it gets turned into a 2Q17 at the last minute... It's a contra-flow run, outside the peak and goes into the most out of the way side of Waterloo - which would strike me as being a safe choice to convert into a quiet launch...?

Vanmanyo

There's a 5Q17 at 19.03 from Windsor to Waterloo this evening which comes from Feltham depot as 5Q16; it runs into platform 23 at Waterloo then goes ecs to Clapham Yard.

It could be worth watching that in case it gets turned into a 2Q17 at the last minute... It's a contra-flow run, outside the peak and goes into the most out of the way side of Waterloo - which would strike me as being a safe choice to convert into a quiet launch...?
Would make sense, but when has SWR and 701s made sense!

Can anyone assist please with the Class 701 unit coming down from Derby on 5Q20 today ?

Thanks in advance.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Is it actually a passenger service - its run as required atm
At the moment, none of us have any idea - it's just the most likely candidate for them to switch from an ecs into a passenger service at the last minute.

If they do the soft launch today, obviously.

First thing to watch for will be to see if the path from Feltham gets activated; likely only a few minutes before it is due.