• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wickham

OK, back to the serious stuff !!
Which 701s have not yet been delivered to SWR, I make it the following:
701017 701501 701502 at Worksop. 701001 701058 701060 701503 701504 at Derby. 701003 at Wembley.
In addition to these 701007 701008 have been delivered and returned, now at Worksop, 701005 has been delivered and returned, now at Derby.
Of all of these 701001 seems to have taken the lowest profile and I have not seen it mentioned for ages - I assume it is at Derby but it could possibly be elsewhere.
Any comments on any of this would be useful.

3973EXL

Established Member
OK, back to the serious stuff !!
Which 701s have not yet been delivered to SWR, I make it the following:
701017 701501 701502 at Worksop. 701001 701058 701060 701503 701504 at Derby. 701003 at Wembley.
In addition to these 701007 701008 have been delivered and returned, now at Worksop, 701005 has been delivered and returned, now at Derby.
Of all of these 701001 seems to have taken the lowest profile and I have not seen it mentioned for ages - I assume it is at Derby but it could possibly be elsewhere.
Any comments on any of this would be useful.
Running late - diverted via Kenny O passed 1958 - Tooting 2027 - Wimbledon 2032
701017 moved to EH 05/01/22
701059 still to come

D365

Veteran Member
I’ve noticed that 701 043 has been used the most on the public class 701 services. Is there any reason why this is?
Indeed. Don't know of any reason unless it's because it has the commemorative logo on it.
swr-arterio-train-07.jpg

028 -3 outings
037 - 5 outings
039 - 8 outings (+1 cancelled because of disruption at Wraysbury)
043 - 13 outings (including today)
Nothing to do with livery/branding - the other units have required additional mods.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Nothing to do with livery/branding - the other units have required additional mods.
Reading somewhere else (forget where) SWR stated in January that they had 15 units ready for service. It's been suggested that the ones that haven't been used yet are simply being used for static training.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Doesn’t look like there’s any 701s out to play today, at least none showing on RTT. Does anyone know if they usually get allocated late?

bahnause

Exactly but Stadler are used to 15kV 16 2/3Hz supplies that often struggle with regen, so regen thinking isn't near the top of their list, more at the "after thoughts" end.
I have never had any problems with regenerative braking below 15kV / 16.7 Hz (as long the OHLE was still in place...). For most of our vehicles, the braking force curve is identical to the tractive force curve as long as there are no national restrictions (the same FLIRT in german mode can have a very different braking characterisitc compared to the swiss mode). Regenerative braking has been a high priority for decades as an energy-saving measure and to minimise wear. In normal operation, a FLIRT or KISS will hardly need it except at speeds <10 km/h where blending is active or if you need high braking forces at higher speeds. But in this case you would be power limited anyway. The traction control is designed quite aggressively to optimise regenerative braking, which can have a noticeable effect on ride comfort.

hwl

Established Member
I have never had any problems with regenerative braking below 15kV / 16.7 Hz (as long the OHLE was still in place...). For most of our vehicles, the braking force curve is identical to the tractive force curve as long as there are no national restrictions (the same FLIRT in german mode can have a very different braking characterisitc compared to the swiss mode).
I was primarily thinking about Germany!
Swiss and Austrian power supplies are generally much better than older German ones (especially in the East).

Regenerative braking has been a high priority for decades as an energy-saving measure and to minimise wear. In normal operation, a FLIRT or KISS will hardly need it except at speeds <10 km/h where blending is active or if you need high braking forces at higher speeds. But in this case you would be power limited anyway. The traction control is designed quite aggressively to optimise regenerative braking, which can have a noticeable effect on ride comfort.
Agreed, Aventra has lots of software to smooth out the latter issues.

bahnause

Agreed, Aventra has lots of software to smooth out the latter issues.
30 years of liftime is enough time for a lot of software updates ;)

The agressive traction control in our Stadler units is a feature, not a bug. What I'm really curious about is the next software release for the Re460. Especially when it comes to the compromises between ETCS (exact odometry) and optimising traction effort (controlled wheelslip) when both radars are not working.

CB52

Yes, flexible concertina type bellows as used on locomotives for 7+ decades. You can spot the motor bogies from the presence of a small radial duct fan unit a few feet inboard of the bogie on the under carriage (sometime with an air compressor mounted next to it so it is only visible from one side)
CL701 and the later CL730 have self ventilated traction motors. Force cooled were used on the AVENTRAs CL345, CL710 and CL720 only.

Invincible

I guess by using the same unit they are getting reliability data.
The tests for Eastleigh Waterloo, Poole and Staines 5Q51/2/3 and Waterloo Hounslow loop 5Q21/2/3 are continuing but RTT does not give the unit numbers, so presumably these units, if 701s, under test are still building up fault free mileage

wickham

Thanks 3973EXL (Post 8106) for the corrections regarding 701017/59 - missed these mainly due to my scribbled notes !
Can anyone confirm that 701001 IS still at Derby Works - very little seems to have been said about this one and after all it is "first of the class" (but quite possibly to be near the last coming !).

Big Jumby 74

Can anyone confirm that 701001 IS still at Derby Works - very little seems to have been said about this one and after all it is "first of the class" (but quite possibly to be near the last coming !).
Whilst I have no direct knowledge what so ever about the 701 introduction, it may be a case that 001 being the 'prototype' as such, may have remained at DY to act as test bed for any/all subsequent mods being made to other members of the class, and so may likely be the last/nearly last to enter passenger service. Just me thinking aloud!

Anyone know why all the other Aventras that came after the 345s such as the 701 have slightly different motor sounds to the 345? I much prefer the 345 motor pitch, it's a lot more relaxing.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Whilst I have no direct knowledge what so ever about the 701 introduction, it may be a case that 001 being the 'prototype' as such, may have remained at DY to act as test bed for any/all subsequent mods being made to other members of the class, and so may likely be the last/nearly last to enter passenger service. Just me thinking aloud!
Yes, most of "001" of anything doesn't enter service until most of the class have bedded in. I'm sure there have been exceptions of course

Samzino

Anyone know why all the other Aventras that came after the 345s such as the 701 have slightly different motor sounds to the 345? I much prefer the 345 motor pitch, it's a lot more relaxing.
The 710(on AC) and 730 have that motor pitch you're talking about.

The 720s get noticeably closer from what I've heard to the 345s when in 10 car formation which I believe could mean its down to some form of power draw.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Yes, most of "001" of anything doesn't enter service until most of the class have bedded in. I'm sure there have been exceptions of course
The extreme case being the first two 2009 stock trains built for the Victoria Line, which never entered service - two other trains were added to the production run and took their numbers - doubtless some equipment was re-used.

43OO4

The extreme case being the first two 2009 stock trains built for the Victoria Line, which never entered service - two other trains were added to the production run and took their numbers - doubtless some equipment was re-used.
I wasn't aware of any extra trains and I can't seem to find any mention of them online. What's this about?