• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

DMckduck97

Not that I agree with it but is it safe to say BR will have had the South Western suburban DOO long ago.
If the DFT/SWR are so obsessed with DOO on the south western, why don't they just impose it and get on with it then? They apparently now have the the trains to facilitate it...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

If the DFT/SWR are so obsessed with DOO on the south western, why don't they just impose it and get on with it then? They apparently now have the the trains to facilitate it...
It's not that simple. The easiest would be DCO since that's what was agreed a long time ago, and that's what I expect to happen as it's what is discussed.

JonathanH

Veteran Member

Goldfish62

Established Member
In this month's Modern Railways they've tried asking SWR why the rollout has stalled. Got absolutely nowhere. Just the usual hogwash from SWR about rolling out the fleet later this year. Despite being pressed SWR offered no explanation about the ongoing delay.

As usual all very mysterious.

D365

Veteran Member
In this month's Modern Railways they've tried asking SWR why the rollout has stalled. Got absolutely nowhere. Just the usual hogwash from SWR about rolling out the fleet later this year. Despite being pressed SWR offered no explanation about the ongoing delay.
Does anyone have an explanation?

As usual all very mysterious.
Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 16.41.23.png
One of the most confusing rollouts of all time.

Waterlemon

People (I imagine staff) on here have said what delayed the transition from soft launch to WTT circuit. Picking out the facts from the wibble is up to you

pompeyfan

Established Member
I’ve been told the drivers training package has been agreed between the TOC and ASLEF (no word on RMT) but training can’t / won’t begin until July. If this is true then at least ASLEF are now reasonably satisfied.

On Moderation
I’ve been told the drivers training package has been agreed between the TOC and ASLEF (no word on RMT) but training can’t / won’t begin until July. If this is true then at least ASLEF are now reasonably satisfied.
If true, it's only about five years later than it should have been.

But there's been claim and counter-claim on this before: frankly I'll believe it when the things start appearing in traffic in increasing numbers.

Snow1964

Established Member
Good news but the DfT still need to approve it

If it not a naive question, can anyone explain how in 2017 DfT sanctioned a fleet of 750 vehicles, costing nearly a billion without also authorising cost of training to use them as part of the deal.

Were they bought as ornaments to stand around, or to be use.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I don't know when that interview took place, but unless it was in the past two weeks (and I've already had my copy since Monday) they have at least managed to "extend the number of journeys" - now three round trips a day as of April 15th.
Moving from two to three return trips in three months is virtually zero progress.

If it not a naive question, can anyone explain how in 2017 DfT sanctioned a fleet of 750 vehicles, costing nearly a billion without also authorising cost of training to use them as part of the deal.

Were they bought as ornaments to stand around, or to be use.
Well indeed. How have other TOCs managed to train staff on new trains? Again, SWR seems to be unique in this respect.

Bigfoot

2017 was a franchise costs fell on the shoulders of the toc. We are now in the era of management contracts and funding is very different, even fairly small things need to be authorised by the dft.

Well indeed. How have other TOCs managed to train staff on new trains? Again, SWR seems to be unique in this respect.
Training a new traction and a new method of operation are completely different things.

This image probably provides one of the best comparisons of the 701 and 455. What a difference it is, which is to be expected when they're over 40 years apart.
I really like the look of the 701s, very sleek and modern
Screenshot_2024-04-21_at_12.18.41.png

Goldfish62

Established Member
Training a new traction and a new method of operation are completely different things.
Which was known to the DfT almost seven years ago. They've obviously been behind the push for DCO so why are they now apparently stalling on authentication of training?

Bigfoot

Which was known to the DfT almost seven years ago. They've obviously been behind the push for DCO so why are they now apparently stalling on authentication of training?
The toc had the costs previously, now the dft have them.

Dan G

Does anyone have an explanation?
No they don't. Over the years suggestions have been poor design that needed to be rectified, manufacturing faults, software faults, union interference and resistance, SWR reluctance to introduce the trains they ordered. Precious little evidence for any of them, although SWR continues to point to software:

“The last significant issue is the stability of the train control and management system (TCMS),” explains SWR Engineering Director Neil Drury. Back in 2017, he placed the order with the manufacturer (then called Bombardier).

Class 701 not entering service, class 442 being partly refurbished then scrapped, class 458 refurbished with an unknown future.
The common denominator is SWR management