• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 710 LO

Peter Sarf

Established Member
so a couple of updates relating to the more recent posts around movements listed above

a) the turning of the train is to get it into the correct formation for software testing - as there are pre requisites for which way round the units are tested at derby
b) the time off site at worksop was nothing more than being stored - due to pressures on site availability at Derby works
c) no vehicles have been exchanged between 374 and 270
d) the most recent trip from Ilford to derby was to support multiple unit software testing
e) 374 /5 and 270 all not accepted and 375 has defo not run in passenger service.

hope this helps!
Thankyou very much. All makes sense, boringly simple. Can we not have a more exciting reason 8-).

And I am glad no breaking of normality has occurred with set formations o_O.

I get the feeling 710375s entry into service might be imminent ?. Other wise it will be in the way of 710374 which must be in the way of 710270 or something like that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

375 is ready - have a few other things that need to be squared off before acceptance however which don’t relate to the unit. The units aren’t in the way of each other - just down to when they will be ready from Alstom so for example if the last two were ready, they would be with 375 for acceptance also. If it seems there is a connection- not really.

D365

Veteran Member
It was top and tailed with 2 class 37s so the liklihood that this is an unbaked move. I don't believe LO 710's have the ability to translate unlike 720's and 730's.
A bit confused by this comment - translator equipment is found either within the locomotive(s) or a barrier vehicle.

Suraggu

A bit confused by this comment - translator equipment is found either within the locomotive(s) or a barrier vehicle.
If a move is being top and tailed with a slow speed limit that would dictate thru piped loco to loco with the unit being unbraked so translation isn't required.

If a move is being top and tailed with a slow speed limit that would dictate thru piped loco to loco with the unit being unbraked so translation isn't required.
The original units were without translators - and is more an operational issue rather than unit from my understanding.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
The 710 deliveries that I have seen have not included any barrier vehicles so any translator equipment would have to be in the locos if used. I am assuming it would be unlikely that the translator equipment was in the unit ?.
That seems to be what happens.
The original units were without translators - and is more an operational issue rather than unit from my understanding.
I can guess the use of translators costs money so the alternative is a slower journey ?.

the locomotives definitely have translator equipment on, but some have also included barrier wagons too. nothing on the class 710's but I do believe when the 345's delivered there was a box of tricks in the cab - as those units do not have electrical heads to connect train wires to.

I believe there was an operating incident ?!? which defined how locos / barriers operated going forward and at what speed and thus how units are hauled and the interface with the braking system. I am not sure if with 710's but I do believe that changes were implemented shortly afterwards.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
the locomotives definitely have translator equipment on, but some have also included barrier wagons too. nothing on the class 710's but I do believe when the 345's delivered there was a box of tricks in the cab - as those units do not have electrical heads to connect train wires to.

I believe there was an operating incident ?!? which defined how locos / barriers operated going forward and at what speed and thus how units are hauled and the interface with the braking system. I am not sure if with 710's but I do believe that changes were implemented shortly afterwards.
Ah I see. So no use looking to earlier movements and trying to interpret current practice as unique to the movement in question ?.

Another example of reading too much into things.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I think that most people looking for 375 would start by riding past Willesden Depot on the DC lines to see if it is in the usual siding at the back of the depot.
And then - if 710375 has finally ventured into service the Euston to Watford Junction DC line service is the most likely. So ideal is to go to Willesden Junction from Euston on the DC (passing the depot). Then waiting for it at Willesden Junction as you also have half a chance of spotting it on the High Level - that is where one day all the 710/3s will belong but currently they (almost only) do most of the Euston-Watford service.

Domk

I do think the Enfield/Chingford line would benefit 8 car running at weekends during the core hours. Trains always full to the brim

Domk

Even worse when Tottenham are at home.
They have made changes to match days and they run 4tph from Enfield Town and then fast from Seven Sisters to Liverpool Street. All match day trains are 8 car services

gazr

Having bashed the 710s today, these are the formations I noted in no particular order:

109 + 122
126 + 127
108 + 129
263 + 124
121 + 102
115 + 114
116 + 105
117 + 118
125 + 103
112 + 130
104 + 110
123 + 113
128 + 265

Think I missed a couple, but was getting quite hot and tired of going back and forth to care :)

BJames

Established Member
I do think the Enfield/Chingford line would benefit 8 car running at weekends during the core hours. Trains always full to the brim
+1

It is often rammed and it's very common at Bruce Grove to see people running down the platform trying to get on on a Sat or Sunday.
They have made changes to match days and they run 4tph from Enfield Town and then fast from Seven Sisters to Liverpool Street. All match day trains are 8 car services
Generally yes and these are very welcome - but tomorrow, we've got NFL at Spurs and football at the Emirates (as TfL have emailed, and posters up at all LO stations). The trains are adjusted timings slightly to allow for increased dwell at White Hart Lane but no additional services. TfL posters are saying that LO services to/from White Hart Lane and Seven Sisters will be very busy. On a personal level it's a big shame that there's no extras tomorrow as I need to travel three times tomorrow and there's no way I will be able to avoid these crowds! I will probably use Liverpool Street to interchange.

There have historically been match day extras in NXEA and Greater Anglia days too, and it's definitely true that the 710s have a better capacity but even on non-match days we need the 8 carriages. I'd love if they re-opened their proposal, found in an FOI a while back, to do 3tph from Enfield and 3tph from Cheshunt on Saturday afternoons at least.

Latest update is 710375 in service by the end of November; 710270 moving from ilford to Willesden mid December and 710374 still inside ilford.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Latest update is 710375 in service by the end of November; 710270 moving from ilford to Willesden mid December and 710374 still inside ilford.
Thanks for the info. Just to clarify that means no more 710s outside London and all the rest are/have-been in service ?.

yes that is correct. no intent for any to return to Derby also. all remaining units to enter service between now and end of march 24.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
With 710 375 "by the end of November" does that mean we'll have to wait until the very end of the month or is there a possibility that it might be out on, say, Monday...?

dave6

I see these units are now getting carted off to MOD Bicester for storage does anyone know if they are visible from 'public viewpoints'?
Also how visible are they are Long Marston. Any information greatly appreciated.

Established Member
I see these units are now getting carted off to MOD Bicester for storage does anyone know if they are visible from 'public viewpoints'?
Also how visible are they are Long Marston. Any information greatly appreciated.
That is 701s but 710s which this post is about.

TitanMike

710 264 in use on the North London Line this morning. It is the 1128 departure ex Stratford. Picture at platform 1 at Stratford.

Attachments

• 20231113_112609.jpg
    20231113_112609.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 110

Kay_M

710 264 in use on the North London Line this morning. It is the 1128 departure ex Stratford. Picture at platform 1 at Stratford.
A 4 car 710 on that part of the overground. That is interesting. I wonder why that was out

swr444

I saw one at clapham junction and richmond the other day, does that mean the 710s are finally coming to the NLL?