• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 73/0 vs 73/1

Status
Not open for further replies.

richa2002

Established Member
Apart from the differing max speed, traction motors and ability to provide ETS, are there any other differences between 73/0s and 73/1s? Do they have differing driving controls/characteristics?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cj_1985

73/0s could heat stock on diesel.
73/1s can only do it on electric.

0/ and /1s can/could multi with each other, 33s, most southern mk1 stock and (the then) class 442

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I had a pair of 73s on the Kenny Belle once. The only time I ever had a 73/0, which I understand was needed to heat the train. (a pair of Mark 1s on that occasion, rather than the usual TC)

D7666

73/0s could heat stock on diesel.
73/1s can only do it on electric.

0/ and /1s can/could multi with each other, 33s, most southern mk1 stock and (the then) class 442
ITYF a 73/0 can heat on diesel or traction on diesel - but not both at the same time.

There is a list of coupling restrictions of JA and JB to assorted EMU - it depends the EMU was 1957 or 1963 or "1966" stock, what permutation EMU stock, and where the EDL was positioned in the train. Everything with everything in every combination is not correct, there are a number of can't dos and won't works.

A another difference is as built a JA could act as an EP-vacuum brake translator - the SR had a plan to work night paper / van trains formed EMU (on EP brake) +JA (traction and EP-vac brake convertor) + vacuum braked NPCCS stock. This did not progress beyond trials. (The first two MLV 68001/2 had the same EP-vac translation gubbins. ) I do not know if that gubbins remained in the locos once it was never used.

richa2002

Established Member
Thank you all. It seems by all accounts that they drive in a similar/identical way then.

Status
Not open for further replies.