• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 730 LNR & WMR Delivery/test Updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Can you not just change onto it at Tring on the second trip? Then you only need to leave Bletchley at 0735.

That's a bit late by the time I got to the office, or I'd just drive to Tring and park up there.

I'm just being selfish anyway - putting them out first on a diagram where the first run is a bit early for most and the second run is a bit late for most means a cancellation won't be a disaster. So this diagram does make sense. Similarly for the way back - 1735 is a fairly early time to leave London by the time you've finished about 5-5:30 and got back to Euston from the City, so again if there's a cancellation it's less of an issue than the 1745-1815 ish departures which at least in the past tended to be the busiest ones.

stadler

So has the Guard training for the 730s started yet? Because i am wondering have the RMT actually accepted these units for their Guards to work on? I have seen a photo of the Guard door control panel and it is a very non standard and odd design. So far every train in the UK has required pushing two buttons at the same time to release the doors but these new trains do not have that. So i would not be surprised if the RMT end up having issues with this and their entry to service is delayed further? Has this new style panel been agreed or is it planned to have the Driver open the doors instead of the Guard on these trains?

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
So not long until Cross City operations commence then, hopefully.
Wolves-Walsall first, otherwise Crewe Drivers wouldn't be getting their training. Sure XCity won't be too much longer

So has the Guard training for the 730s started yet? Because i am wondering have the RMT actually accepted these units for their Guards to work on? I have seen a photo of the Guard door control panel and it is a very non standard and odd design. So far every train in the UK has required pushing two buttons at the same time to release the doors but these new trains do not have that. So i would not be surprised if the RMT end up having issues with this and their entry to service is delayed further? Has this new style panel been agreed or is it planned to have the Driver open the doors instead of the Guard on these trains?
The door panels were agreed with union last year along side the 196 ones (photos were provided via Company Council).

Conductors at Bletchley are trained, New St to follow once the plan has been signed off. (Plan for where/how stationary training will be done, not the method of working)

That's for the Wolves Walsall service I believe. The cross city follows not long after I think.
Could the Midlands based units enter service before the units intended for WCML local services?

Would you expect any 5 car 730s in service next year or is that too optimistic?

stadler

Wolves-Walsall first, otherwise Crewe Drivers wouldn't be getting their training. Sure XCity won't be too much longer

The door panels were agreed with union last year along side the 196 ones (photos were provided via Company Council).

Conductors at Bletchley are trained, New St to follow once the plan has been signed off. (Plan for where/how stationary training will be done, not the method of working)
Ah that is good to hear. Good to know that it has been agreed. Do you know if Guards at Northampton and Watford Junction depots are being trained on the 730s too at some point? Or will they continue to just sign the 350s only?

Silverlinky

Just remember that the WMR 730/0’s about to enter service with LNR are only a stop gap and only to replace the 319’s. These units will mostly be used on those peak busting trains and then sit at Camden off peak. The amount of 730 services will be tiny compared to the 350’s therefore there is only the need to train limited numbers of traincrew on LNR at this time.
The 5 car units are not expected to enter service until 2025 so thats when I’d expect to see Watford and Northampton guards trained up on them.

Russel

Established Member
Just remember that the WMR 730/0’s about to enter service with LNR are only a stop gap and only to replace the 319’s. These units will mostly be used on those peak busting trains and then sit at Camden off peak. The amount of 730 services will be tiny compared to the 350’s therefore there is only the need to train limited numbers of traincrew on LNR at this time.
The 5 car units are not expected to enter service until 2025 so thats when I’d expect to see Watford and Northampton guards trained up on them.

Sorry, 2025, seriously?

AJDesiro

That's a shame, aside from the traction motors and formation, surely they're not that different? I understand they require separate type authorization from the ORR, but this whole process seems to be a complex mess, especially when it seems that at least 1/6th of the 730/2s have been built, it's a shame as a passenger when 2020-2021 was the original ETA. If they do indeed enter service in 2025, which I can fully believe could be the case based on the timescale for the WMR variants, that'll mean that they enter service 8 years after being ordered.

Oh well, I hope that someday we get to be rid of the vile 350/2s. I really wish they could've done some sort of refurbishment of the 350/2s, like they did with the 323s. I guess the WMR business unit being accountable to more than just the DfT will have a lot to answer for.

Russel

Established Member
Oh well, I hope that someday we get to be rid of the vile 350/2s. I really wish they could've done some sort of refurbishment of the 350/2s, like they did with the 323s. I guess the WMR business unit being accountable to more than just the DfT will have a lot to answer for.

They really are an unpleasant way to travel, even if I'm only doing the 40 minutes from Lichfield to Crewe...

Even just adding arm rests and tables to the 2+2 airline seats would have made these a much nicer train.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Hopefully in the new year we'll see them enter service in the West Mids, been a long time coming.

I think there are far more than a limited number already trained, certainly plenty of drivers are.

2025 is probably correct for LNR units, not many have been delivered yet have they so another 12 months at least.

Does this mean that they will only be used Monday - Friday and not at weekends?

I think I read somewhere that the introduction of the 730s would mean some 350/2 getting withdrawn (not all of them) as well as the 319s.

Now that the 5 cat units will not be entering service until 2025, I hope it does not mean more services with 4 car 350s until then.

AJDesiro

Does this mean that they will only be used Monday - Friday and not at weekends?

I think I read somewhere that the introduction of the 730s would mean some 350/2 getting withdrawn (not all of them) as well as the 319s.

Now that the 5 cat units will not be entering service until 2025, I hope it does not mean more services with 4 car 350s until then.
730/0s are being introduced on Walsall-Wolverhampton around January, which will displace the 4 350 diagrams on the route. Introduction on the Chase Line will also free up the 6 350 diagrams on that route, which could potentially allow around 10 350/2 to go off lease overall, though this is merely my own speculation.

Russel

Established Member
730/0s are being introduced on Walsall-Wolverhampton around January, which will displace the 4 350 diagrams on the route. Introduction on the Chase Line will also free up the 6 350 diagrams on that route, which could potentially allow around 10 350/2 to go off lease overall, though this is merely my own speculation.

10 Off lease means 10 less to turn up on the Trent Valley!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It's fantastic news that the 730s will soon be entering service :D I'm working on a plan to give them a try, although I've not yet figured out where and how it'll happen. I want it to be more than just Euston to Harrow & Wealdstone, which would be easy to squeeze in, but it has to fit in with some exploring and that's not going to be quite as easy to work out. Even so, I'll soon have it sorted 8-)

I've just realised it's a shade over a year since I had my unofficial LNWR 319 farewell, it seems crazy how long ago that was!

Energy

Established Member
which could potentially allow around 10 350/2 to go off lease overall, though this is merely my own speculation.
Depends on the contract, the 350/2s are actually quite cheap to lease but have high usage charges.

D.K.TAYLOR

Drivers at Crewe have been told this week to expect to work 730s on the Wolves-Walsall route from January, no exact date given as you'd expect.

Hopefully a resolution is found for this alarm reset issue soon, really shouldn't be an issue.
My mate is training early December on 730s hoping they do my local route

Bevan Price

Established Member
730.022 (3 coach) visited Liverpool Lime Street today (3 November) running e.c.s from/to Crewe. Took opportunity to look through windows from outside. Centre coach seemed to have some 2+1 seating, elsewhere 2+2 seating; did not notice any armrests. Bad news is that some seats near ends of coaches seem to have zero alignment with windows. Yuk.

Noticed it was branded for 90 mph maximum, so I imagine they will not become regular visitors to Liverpool.
Overall Length 72.03 metres; seats 201 claimed, but individual coaches shown as (67+57+67), which equals 191. Weight 123.2 tonnes.

johnnychips

Established Member
One travelled from Doncaster Belmont at about 1635 to Gascoigne Wood sidings today, hauled by a 37. Both looked splendid but I didn’t get the number.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
730.022 (3 coach) visited Liverpool Lime Street today (3 November) running e.c.s from/to Crewe. Took opportunity to look through windows from outside. Centre coach seemed to have some 2+1 seating, elsewhere 2+2 seating; did not notice any armrests. Bad news is that some seats near ends of coaches seem to have zero alignment with windows. Yuk.

Noticed it was branded for 90 mph maximum, so I imagine they will not become regular visitors to Liverpool.
Overall Length 72.03 metres; seats 201 claimed, but individual coaches shown as (67+57+67), which equals 191. Weight 123.2 tonnes.
3 car units are for West Mids, so no, they won't be seen at Liverpool other than fault free running or driver training.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
3 car units are for West Mids, so no, they won't be seen at Liverpool other than fault free running or driver training.

But remember this control organisation puts 350/2s on long runs and puts the long distance units on Walsalls, Birmingham Internationals and Trings.
Keeping the right stock on the diagrams will be an innovation, here's hoping they can cope with distinguishing 730/0s and 730/2s

AJDesiro

But remember this control organisation puts 350/2s on long runs and puts the long distance units on Walsalls, Birmingham Internationals and Trings.
Keeping the right stock on the diagrams will be an innovation, here's hoping they can cope with distinguishing 730/0s and 730/2s
The 730/0s are being maintained at a different depot to the 730/2s once rollout is complete. The /0s will be based at Soho, with the /2s based at Bletchley, this means that there is a very low chance that we will see the wrong subclass of unit running. The reason 350/2s end up on unsuitable services is because they all come from the same depot.

Travelmonkey

Slow progress it seems, shame that their only displacing the shorter runs to start with was kinda hoping for one on my next London trip at the end of the month, does beg the question what will be first new units on the cross-City or the completion of LTVs platform 3,

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Slow progress it seems, shame that their only displacing the shorter runs to start with was kinda hoping for one on my next London trip at the end of the month, does beg the question what will be first new units on the cross-City or the completion of LTVs platform 3,

90mph units on the fast lines would cause too many issues, so no chance of appearing on anything on the south WCML other than the stoppers and Tring semifasts that are slow line only.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
It's very different controlling multiple version of the same traction as opposed to multiple tractions.

Whilst some don't appreciate have the /2 on long distance routes, 350s operate all services that should operate 350s and that's all that matters. They are have the same operating Specs, just different seating/internal arrangements.

The 2 different 730s are very different. Different speeds, maintained at different depots even. There may be the odd one 3 car that works on the LNR routes due to lack of units, but I would highly doubt it will be often.

Certainly not the same as having a /2 350

LTV platform is due back in a few weeks. No chance of 730s in service on the XCity before the New Year