• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 84001 returning to York

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAH37403

A video of the Class 84 being removed from The Scottish Railway museum on 4th January.
The loco is being returned to the NRM at York by road from Bo'ness.

DAH

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
It's still at Bo'ness, but no longer on display in the museum. The shunts on Wednesday were done to test functionality of the brakes, at the request of the NRM.

84001s departure from Bo'ness is connected to the arrival of 91131 at Bo'ness later this month.

Trackman

Established Member
Seen a couple of them, not sure about haulage.
Apparently they were a pain to drive as 'notch 1' was like warp factor 5 (well, slightly exaggerating!).

And thanks to OP for posting the video, never seen a class 84 urinal before!!

DanNCL

Established Member
How long was it at Bo'ness? I never knew it had gone there!
Arrived at Bo'ness in 2012. Prior to that it had been at Barrow Hill since 2000.

How complete is the 84? I’m not suggesting reserecting her for mainline but would it be a difficult job?
It's complete. Some electrical restoration was done between 2001 and 2005 by the AC Locomotive Group.

DAH37403

It's still at Bo'ness, but no longer on display in the museum. The shunts on Wednesday were done to test functionality of the brakes, at the request of the NRM.

84001s departure from Bo'ness is connected to the arrival of 91131 at Bo'ness later this month.
The Class 84 planned road move from Bo'ness is 12th/ 13th January.
The Class 91 delivery move will be late January.

DAH

D6130

Established Member
I had always been under the impression that all North British-built diesel and electric locos had spoked wheels....but, judging by the close-up views in the video, that does not seem to be the case with 84 001. I wonder whether her original wheels had been replaced at some stage?

CW2

Established Member
I had 4 runs with 84s, mostly 84003. They were loud (from the fans / blowers) and notoriously unreliable. Of my 4 runs, two suffered partial failures en route and were taken off diagram.
Most memorable sight was one night at Willesden when there weren't enough multi-fitted 86/87 available to work a northbound Freightliner, so they turned out the memorable combination of 87101 piloted by 84010. I wish I had my camera that night!

Mattderby

Drove past this earlier today on the A1 Southbound around Catterick area... looked to have broken down on the sliproad

Status
Not open for further replies.