• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 93 Tri-mode Loco

Rail Quest

The difference from Mondays runs and Tuesdays runs are the headcode. Anytime 93001 has been moved on the network it has run under a Qxx headcode as it hasn't passed its acceptance testing. I suspect 93001 won't be out until Tuesday.
Ahh interesting, so could Monday's moves merely be crew training for ROG drivers between Worksop and Sheffield with whatever arrives from Derby, then followed by actual 93 runs on Tuesday and onwards?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Suraggu

Ahh interesting, so could Monday's moves merely be crew training for ROG drivers between Worksop and Sheffield with whatever arrives from Derby, then followed by actual 93 runs on Tuesday and onwards?
Going by the headcode changes, your theory holds substance.

The_Train

Established Member
It appears that something has ran on the Worksop-Sheffield paths today - any confirmation it was the 93 under its own power?

Bob Price

Railcam view of Sheffield

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 09.30.47.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 09.30.47.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 121

Nottingham59

Established Member
Hopefully we'll soon learn what it's real performance is like. Stadler sold the lightweight 4-axle concept to ROG on the basis that advanced wheelslip control would give adequate tractive effort in slippery conditions. Does anyone know if this aspect of the 93 has been tested yet?

ABB125

Established Member
Hopefully we'll soon learn what it's real performance is like. Stadler sold the lightweight 4-axle concept to ROG on the basis that advanced wheelslip control would give adequate tractive effort in slippery conditions. Does anyone know if this aspect of the 93 has been tested yet?
Given that most of the rest of Europe seems to be going almost exclusively for high power BoBo locomotives, I'd have thought so

ac6000cw

Established Member
Stadler sold the lightweight 4-axle concept to ROG on the basis that advanced wheelslip control would give adequate tractive effort in slippery conditions.
Stadler will know what the performance of the 68 and 88 is like in real-world conditions, so I'm sure ROG would have been well aware what they were buying.

It's got the same axle load as a 66 but with more sophisticated wheelslip control, so no, it won't match a 66 when it's snowing etc. (or at very low speeds), but I don't think ROG were/are targeting the heavy-haul market?

are there inclines like Shap, Beattock and Lickey in Europe?
Yes. Have you ever been to Switzerland or other mountainous areas? Take a ride over the original Gotthard Pass route, the stomping ground of some of the most powerful electric locos in Europe for many decades, both 4 and 6 axle.

Skymonster

Established Member
Now I’m home, I’m able to add a brief (30 second) video of 93001 to YouTube:

This may be of interest to those who like sound with their imagery.

Rail Quest

Now I’m home, I’m able to add a brief (30 second) video of 93001 to YouTube:

This may be of interest to those who like sound with their imagery.
Thanks for sharing. That rev up at 0:18 sounds quite loud, is that the coolant fans or the engine? I feel like I can hear a slight turbo whine during it which would suggest the latter though I can't tell

Nottingham59

Established Member
Stadler will know what the performance of the 68 and 88 is like in real-world conditions, so I'm sure ROG would have been well aware what they were buying.
I understood the 93 had significantly better traction control than earlier versions.
It's got the same axle load as a 66 but with more sophisticated wheelslip control, so no, it won't match a 66 when it's snowing etc. (or at very low speeds), but I don't think ROG were/are targeting the heavy-haul market?

They were originally targetting the high-speed intermodal market, but that was predicated on developing 100mph intermodal flats for use in the UK, which doesn't seem to have happened. So I'm expecting the 93 to be most useful on standard intermodal traffic on the WCML.

The 93 on electric is supposed to have greater tractive effort than a 66 at speeds over 13-14mph. (According to the graph in the Rail Engineer article here: https://www.railengineer.co.uk/class-93-tri-mode-locos-on-order/ ). I guess we're going to have to see what sectional running times and trailing loads are assigned to the class when it comes into service.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Thanks for sharing. That rev up at 0:18 sounds quite loud, is that the coolant fans or the engine? I feel like I can hear a slight turbo whine during it which would suggest the latter though I can't tell
Sounds like diesel engine to me - there's a bit of deep bass in there I think. AFAIK the 93 also has battery cooling fans, to add to the sound mix...

Skymonster

Established Member
Not entirely sure. Second time it was at Sheffield I was a little further north on the platform, ready to capture it powering up. But sadly by then the window-lickers were out in force - including one who was pushing, and screaming that he hadn’t got any pictures and everyone should get out of his way. So I didn’t get any more video and I didn’t even get to really listen to the loco. And I couldn‘t be bothered to wait for the third visit.

ac6000cw

Established Member
I understood the 93 had significantly better traction control than earlier versions.
Probably (as it's been 10 years since the cl. 68). Good AC traction drives in good rail conditions with high axle loads are usually reckoned to boost usable tractive effort per axle at low speeds by up to about 50% versus a good DC drive, but less so in slippery rail conditions. If you can get close to cl. 66 performance for general freight with two fewer axles, motors and inverters (= less cost) why not?

A quick illustration of DC versus AC tractive effort for a couple of US diesel locos which are basically the same 6-axle loco, other than the AC version being about 4% heavier (and both are 30+ tonne axle load):

DC drive: GE ES44DC - Tractive Effort (starting) 142,000 lbs, Tractive Effort (continuous): 109,000 lbs @ 13.7 mph
AC drive: GE ES44AC - Tractive Effort (starting) 183,000 lbs, Tractive Effort (continuous): 166,000 lbs @ 13.7 mph

(data from https://www.thedieselshop.us/DataGEIndex.HTML )

For fun, a quick US wet rails versus dry rails comparison i.e. a with long train drying out the rail head for the rear locos. Note the squealing/screeching of the controlled wheelslip is much louder in reality than it seems in the videos (I was there, holding brolly in one hand and camera in the other!):

DC front + DC rear:

DC front + AC rear, followed by AC front + AC rear (and at 11:50 there is a real DC screech-a-thon in pouring rain):