• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 93 Tri-mode Loco

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
Have to say I'm a little unsure as to why it would be going to Leicester
There's many reasons I'd imagine. Storage at Loughborough Works (have I imagined ROG leasing some space at the site?) which seems to be quite popular these days, Old Dalby for some running in on the test track, or as a bit of an outside shot, could they make use of the GCR for running in?

Based on a conversation I overhead at Leicester involving a UKRL staff member around the time ROG stopped using their Leicester L.I.P site for maintenance, I'd be very surprised if 93001 appeared there!

The_Train

Established Member
Who says the 93's are replacing the class 37's?

The CEO has been very public about their continued use even with the 93's coming on stream.
In theory this is music to my ears, but the reality will be whether they have enough work for 16 loco's (assuming they are planning to keep 10 of the 93s)? They currently operate with 6 loco's and don't appear too stretched and that is in a period where there's been lots of stock changes and lots of reason for drags. All of this stock replacement has come at the same time in recent years but surely there will be a gap in this and they will be relying on maintenance drags.

I'm sure those within ROG have a plan and will certainly know their business 100% more than I do but I'd be very surprised if they have purchased brand new loco's without a plan to remove use of their 60 year old fleet.....unfortunately :(

I suppose that would then bring up the question, what happens to Europhoenix in the UK if ROG do pull the plug on the 37s. Am I right in thinking this is their only leasing opportunity at the moment?

D365

Veteran Member
In theory this is music to my ears, but the reality will be whether they have enough work for 16 loco's (assuming they are planning to keep 10 of the 93s)? They currently operate with 6 loco's and don't appear too stretched and that is in a period where there's been lots of stock changes and lots of reason for drags. All of this stock replacement has come at the same time in recent years but surely there will be a gap in this and they will be relying on maintenance drags.
Which I suspect won’t be enough to recoup the investment on ROG’s brand new all-singing ~£4m locomotives!

I’m not sure how the Europhoenix lease arrangement works, but I can imagine that there may still be pockets of traffic for those particular 37s.

Last edited:

Established Member
Which I suspect won’t be enough to recoup the investment on ROG’s brand new all-singing ~£4m locomotives!
Don’t forget the 745/755 thunderbird contract at Orient Way for dragging broken flirts back to Norwich.

The_Train

Established Member
Well, that’s where it was booked to go
And yet there has been plenty of discussion about where it might be going, so I thought I would share a fact on the discussion. Not really sure why you feel such a response was necessary?

Established Member
And yet there has been plenty of discussion about where it might be going, so I thought I would share a fact on the discussion. Not really sure why you feel such a response was necessary?
Mearly staying a fact, I had mentioned several times it was going to Worksop, as I had confirmation that it was, and that is where it ended up ‍♂️

Dood75

Anyone know if its visible at Worksop or has it been hidden out of sight??

Established Member
Anyone know if its visible at Worksop or has it been hidden out of sight??
Unsure at the moment , but it’s due to be sent straight into one of the tents/sheds he has there.
I would give it 2 weeks when it’s due to move to Dalby, more chance of getting it there.

james60059

There's been a fair bit of vitriol being spouted about them on social media over last couple of days. I made a point of stating that you might well sl*g them off or complain about them not being in built in the UK (which has been said a fair bit on certain groups on FB) but I bet a lot of them doing the moaning will still be falling over themselves to get the the magazine shots on it's first working on UK rails

Established Member
Its
Cheers for that..wont waste my time and money for a quick journey out

Dood
It’s an ever changing things with this loco, apparently not going to be going to Old Dalby now, will be going elsewhere for its mileage accumulation.
Confirmed destination unknown.

The_Train

Established Member
There's been a fair bit of vitriol being spouted about them on social media over last couple of days. I made a point of stating that you might well sl*g them off or complain about them not being in built in the UK (which has been said a fair bit on certain groups on FB) but I bet a lot of them doing the moaning will still be falling over themselves to get the the magazine shots on it's first working on UK rails
This is a common theme across this hobby. At the SVR, the first thing I heard having boarded the Rail Adventure 43s working was someone complaining about HSTs - a person who had gone out of their way to be at a Gala for 9am to ride behind them, complaining about them! The best comedy writers in the world couldn't make this stuff up :lol:

Anyway, I'd just point those complaining about them not being built in the UK towards a certain class of unit that is residing in sidings all over the country having come off a UK production line. Even the trains we just had to stick together in this country like a Meccano set have had to go back in for maintenance because they've been falling apart (well cracking at least) ;) :D

Doomotron

At the SVR, the first thing I heard having boarded the Rail Adventure 43s working was someone complaining about HSTs - a person who had gone out of their way to be at a Gala for 9am to ride behind them, complaining about them!
Out of interest, what were they complaining about?
Anyway, I'd just point those complaining about them not being built in the UK towards a certain class of unit that is residing in sidings all over the country having come off a UK production line. Even the trains we just had to stick together in this country like a Meccano set have had to go back in for maintenance because they've been falling apart (well cracking at least) ;) :D
The UK had just one home-grown manufacturer AFAIK, which has now gone under sadly. That of course means that any new locomotives will be made by a foreign company, no matter where it's built - I chuckled when Sadiq Khan praised the new Underground trains for being built in the UK, despite them being built by Siemens, meaning (not for the first time) British taxpayer money is in fact going to the German government.

If there was a fully British train manufacturer that could make good trains then I am sure they'd be getting lots of orders (with hopefully more success overseas than BREL did), but nobody has tried yet.

Roast Veg

Established Member
If there was a fully British train manufacturer that could make good trains then I am sure they'd be getting lots of orders (with hopefully more success overseas than BREL did), but nobody has tried yet.
Would they? Public sector contact letting in the UK has to be seen to have gone through an impartial tender process.

Doomotron

Would they? Public sector contact letting in the UK has to be seen to have gone through an impartial tender process.
For the past few years only Vossloh/Stadler have made a locomotive for the UK (barring the Clayton shunters being built) AFAIK. While Stadler's locos are very good and popular for a reason, there is a gap in the market for more than one mainline loco manufacturer - multiple unit manufacturing has four right now, six before Bombardier was taken over and Vivarail went under.

Trainbike46

Established Member
For the past few years only Vossloh/Stadler have made a locomotive for the UK (barring the Clayton shunters being built) AFAIK. While Stadler's locos are very good and popular for a reason, there is a gap in the market for more than one mainline loco manufacturer - multiple unit manufacturing has four right now, six before Bombardier was taken over and Vivarail went under.

I think you're miscounting somewhere. I got:

Locomotives:
- Stadler
- Clayton

Multiple units:
- Stadler
- Siemens
- Alstom
- Caf
- Hitachi

Doomotron

I think you're miscounting somewhere. I got:

Locomotives:
- Stadler
- Clayton

Multiple units:
- Stadler
- Siemens
- Alstom
- Caf
- Hitachi
Ah yes, I forgot about Stadler for multiple units. That said excluding Clayton was on purpose as they do not make mainline locomotives.

ExRes

Established Member
An update on WNXX yesterday of the Class 93s progress, 001 is at Worksop and available to the 'rail industry' for inspection, 002 is on test in Romania while 003 to 008 are either completed or being completed, it seems that there are rumours that potential users could include DRS and Trans Pennine, mind you there are potential rumours that my wife is getting one to do the shopping at Waitrose, we shall see with the passing of time