• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed lines you have travelled on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I put Blisworth-Northampton on my list, and it set me wondering why such a WCML diversion was even contemplated.
It was at the time of the original electrification (1963-ish), and I can only think the old Roade junction was closed for some reason, or works were in progress between there and Northampton.
There's no hint today that a route off the WCML at Blisworth ever existed.
It was of course originally (1845) how people first travelled by rail from London to Northampton (Bridge St) and Peterborough (East).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
If I'm right -- in the early days of railways, some towns did not want the disruption which would come of a rail route running through them: so lines were opened "past", not "through": which the townsfolk usually subsequently regretted. I gather that this wasn't the case with Northampton: in this instance, the original main line by-passed it through Blisworth, because mid-1830s locomotives lacked sufficient power to handle the gradients which dropping down into the town and then climbing out of it again, would entail.

Last edited:

lakeland844

The South Shields line through Tyne Dock and High Shields ? Closed at the time of Tyne Wear Metro construction circa 1981 - Metro took a different path to South Shields terminus via the old Stanhope and Tyne line and the section through High Shields was abandoned.
Also the North Tyne Riverside loop from Tynemouth to Newcastle (Byker) via Willington Quay and Carville past Swan Hunter shipyards closed to passengers 1973 and during the 1980s to freight - now a footpath ?

Roger1973

I had forgotten about this when I replied before, but also travelled on the short lived North Downs Steam Railway when it was just outside Dartford.

Bungle158

Bridport to Maiden Newton, Folkestone Harbour branch, The line into the long defunct Reading South(ern). Gt Yarmouth (Southtown) to Lowestoft.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Dover Western Docks
Folkestone Harbour
Weymouth Quay
I have also done the Dover Western Docks & Folkestone Harbour lines. I seem to remember in the mid to late 1960s/early 1970s, possibly 1966 or 1970 joining a main line, through train to Reading/Paddington at Churston, the stop, now on the Steam Railway located between Kingswear and Paignton.

In my mid-30s there is (thankfully) little major that has closed in my lifetime, but I can say I have travelled (and turned an engine on the turntable) of the Isle of Mull railway.

And very shortly I may also be able to sadly add the Hythe Pier railway...

E27007

Woodhead behind EM2 and EM1 locos, and DMU when Woodhead was used as a diversion route due to weekend closures of the Hope Valley line

R Martin

Shoreham by Sea to Horsham via Bramber. Push pull with a Terrier on the front. I will never forget the "Bark Bark" noise of the Terrier vibrating around the Ader Valley. Later in the early 1960's with the horrid DEMU's. Memories of my youth! I drove my car on the route a few years ago

I put Blisworth-Northampton on my list, and it set me wondering why such a WCML diversion was even contemplated.
It was at the time of the original electrification (1963-ish), and I can only think the old Roade junction was closed for some reason, or works were in progress between there and Northampton.
There's no hint today that a route off the WCML at Blisworth ever existed.
It was of course originally (1845) how people first travelled by rail from London to Northampton (Bridge St) and Peterborough (East).
I traveled on that lie from Northampton to Blisworth in1964 on a works train for the electrification of the WCML. The guard had a shotgun and used to shoot birds and rabbits. I still remember his name after all these years

Last edited:

D6968

Shoreham by Sea to Horsham via Bramber. Push pull with a Terrier on the front. I will never forget the "Bark Bark" noise of the Terrier vibrating around the Ader Valley. Later in the early 1960's with the horrid DEMU's. Memories of my youth! I drove my car on the route a few years ago

I traveled on that lie from Northampton to Blisworth in1964 on a works train for the electrification of the WCML. The guard had a shotgun and used to shoot birds and rabbits. I still remember his name after all these years
That last one is very Titfield Thunderbolt!

Tester

Not in passenger service, but Rugby - Marton Junction - Southam in an inspection saloon to check signalling assets prior to final closure.

Keswick-Penrith
Matlock-Millers Dale
Malton-Pickering
Whitby-Staithes
Lancaster-Morcambe (Midland Railway)
Sheffield Victoria-Penistone-Hadfield
Manchester Central branch
Lincoln-Bardney-Woodhall Jn-Bellwater Jn
Firsby-Mablethorpe
Spalding-March
Lincoln Avoiding Line
Newark Northgate-Bottesford
Havant-Hayling Ialand

Some more remembered :

Birmingham Snow Hill-Wolverhampton Low Level-Oxley
Chaloners Whin- Selby
Penmanlshiel Tunnel
Manchester Victoria-Bury
Dover Western Docks
Pelham Street Jn-Lincoln St Marks-Boultham Jn
Windermere original station
Lincoln Central-Navenby-Honington Jn
Barkston East Jn-Barkston South Jn
Buxton Midland station

Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway (Cleethorpes location)
Manchester Belle View Zoo miniature railway
Dudley zoo miniature railway

Last edited:

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Trying to remember all the lines I have or may have done and whether they are still extant in an interesting exercise. But here is my first attempt ...

Withernsea branch
Liverpool Exchange
Bury - Bolton
Laisterdyke - Ardsley Jn (I think - see History thread)
Pemberton - Ince (Wigan Wall gate avoider - again not sure)
Pudsey Loop
Wortley Curve
Ilkley - Bolton Abbey
Lancaster (Green Ayre) - Morecambe (old station)
Leeds Central & approaches
Manchester Central - MUFC halt
Dover Marine
Old route out of Man Vic en route to Moston
Chester Northgate - Mouldsworth
Ince & Elton - Mouldsworth
Gloucester Eastgate
Spalding - March
Kentish Rown - Upper Holloway
Tilbury Riverside
Clayton West
Penistone - Sheffield (direct)
Bradford Exchange & Forster Square (original stations)
Weymouth Quay
Epping - Ongar (missing link)
Ironbridge?
Amlwch
Maentwrog Road
Leamside line
Port Sunlight - Stork Margarine Works
Stoke - Caldon Low
Welbeck, Mansfield, Thoresby?, Bolsover, Rufford, Grimethorpe, Goldthorpe, Kellingley?, Allerton Bywater & Sharlston collieries
Leeds - Sheffield via Cudworth
Lincoln St Marks
Weaste branch (part of)
Oldham Mumps & Oldham Werneth (original route)
Elsecar railway
Wrexham Central (original station)

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
@61058 re post #283: you mention having covered Lincoln -- Bardney -- Woodhall Junction -- Bellwater Junction. I notice that another participant or two has done this section (as have I, in 1964 and '67); but, having gone through the thread with some care -- so far as I can tell, no poster so far has mentioned having bagged the adjoining section Woodhall Junction -- Langrick -- Boston (closed to all traffic 1963). Nor have I, I hasten to add: in my earlier teens, I didn't always have my finger totally-accurately on the pulse of "what was imminently doomed" -- and at that particular time, I wouldn't have been favourably placed in practical terms, to dash off and secure that line.

It has always rather struck me, that -- although what was done, no doubt made sense to those who were in charge of same at the time -- it felt; and looked on the map; a little weird, for the in-comparison main-line section (Woodhall Jun. to Boston) to close -- leaving in service for a few more years, the eccentric offshoot due east from Woodhall Jun., to meet the Peterborough -- Grimsby route in the middle of nowhere ! (Lincoln -- "Woodhall Junction-to-be" -- Boston -- Peterborough, opened 1848; Woodhall Junction -- Bellwater Junction a decidedly late addition to the rail system -- opened, if I'm right, not long before World War I, to improve holiday access between Skegness, and big industrial areas the other side of Lincoln.) I don't think I've heard from anyone, anywhere, who has done Woodhall Jun. -- Boston: 1963 a bit on the early side; and this area, not one of the prime "honeypot" ones for enthusiasts.

Mention of these parts, brings to mind for me a closed line which I have done: not yet mentioned in this thread, unless I've overlooked it in perusing -- the Woodhall Junction to Horncastle branch; passenger service withdrawn in 1954, covered by me in 1967 per brake-van trip.

Tracked

Established Member
Bit poor in this respect;
Selby-York, but I'd have been under 5 at the time
Dinting Railway Centre, sure I went on something there, but can't remember what (sometime in the 80's)
Cleethorpes Light Railway - late 80's/early 90's, the Leisure centre end's different now (it didn't go over the ponds when I first went) and I think the other end was different too

:s

Swanley 59

Would the former Ashington Coal Company, latterly NCB, line between Ashington and Linton meet the criteria? I travelled on the "Linton Tankie" a few times when I was very young. Otherwise for me it is lines that have been mentioned already:

Woodhorn - Newbiggin
Hartley - Monkseaton (Avenue Branch)
Newcastle - Scotswood - Blaydon
Leamside Line (ECML Diversion)
Northallerton - Ripon - Harrogate
Grimsby - Willoughby
Willoughby - Mablethorpe
Willoughby - Boston

I think there were several "North Wales Land Cruise" itineraries over the years. The only one I went on was Rhyl - Bangor - Afon Wen - Barmouth - Corwen - Denbigh - Rhyl, but I have vague memories about one starting at Chester; not sure which way round it went, but I have a feeling it was something like Chester - Rhyl - Corwen (reversal) - Llangollen - Ruabon - Chester (or vice versa).

I can't remember there ever being a Chester start.

On the one you mention, it also went clockwise round, but I can't remember if both ran each day or if it went clockwise one day, anti-clockwise the next; it also had some interesting stock at times, including the now preserved ex LNWR observation car

The Llanberis branch has been mentioned, but during summers that was served by a service starting from Rhyl in the morning and ending back in Rhyl at night, with a couple of Llanberis - Caernarfon trips in between; usually formed of LMS opens and with "Snowdonian" boards on the sides, decorated with daffodils at either end

Welshman

Established Member
Likewise, I dont think the N. WAles Landcruise ever started at Chester.
Rhyl was its main starting-point, using a loco from Rhyl mpd and coaches kept in the carriage sidings.

Rhyl was its main starting-point, using a loco from Rhyl mpd and coaches kept in the carriage sidings.

Actually, didn't they have quite a large carriage shed at Rhyl? Down side, adjacent to the road bridge at the Chester end of the station?

Reading through, I set myself a challenge to list some for the first time:

Ones I can't find are:

Carlisle - Silloth
Pen-y-Groes - Nantlle (and the Nantlle Tramway)
Bangor - Bethesda

Heysham Head miniature railway

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
I can't remember there ever being a Chester start.

On the one you mention, it also went clockwise round, but I can't remember if both ran each day or if it went clockwise one day, anti-clockwise the next; it also had some interesting stock at times, including the now preserved ex LNWR observation car

Re North Wales Land Cruise -- as discussed back in November; my maddeningly few memories from age 4 - 5, comprise only the following. Family staying on holiday for certain, in Chester; a day-long rail-borne excursion through lots of beautiful hill-and-mountain scenery; and "intermediate" stuff as told of by me upthread, very certainly happening at Llangollen. Maybe our Chester starting-and-finishing involved non-Land-Cruise travel of some kind, to and from embarking / disembarking point; but it seems to be established that the "classic" Land Cruises did not cover the Corwen -- Ruabon section and did not feature Llangollen. With all this being now seventy-odd years ago; I wonder sometimes whether memory might be playing me false -- anyone else involved first-hand is now long dead: no way of checking !

Welshman

Established Member
Actually, didn't they have quite a large carriage shed at Rhyl? Down side, adjacent to the road bridge at the Chester end of the station?

Reading through, I set myself a challenge to list some for the first time:

Ones I can't find are:

Carlisle - Silloth
Pen-y-Groes - Nantlle (and the Nantlle Tramway)
Bangor - Bethesdan

Heysham Head miniature railway
Yes, indeed.
Back in the day there were several carriage sidings where you state.

Now, on the Prestatyn side of the Vale Rd bridge there are just a couple of civil engineers' sidings.
The carriage sidings on the Abergele side are now under the fruit and vegetables of Morrison's Supermarket.

It will all be revealed!

I suddenly realised that there might be something about the Land Cruise Trains in one of the Foxline books on the railways of North Wales, and there's a whole section about them in Bill Rear's book about the Corwen to Rhyl line

They started in 1951 and in that year was called The Festival Land Cruise; it ran clockwise Rhyl – Rhyl Monday – Friday in the peak season, and was so popular that in the following year a second train started. This started from Llandudno, and ran attached to a Crewe service as far as Rhyl; after being detached, the land cruise portion reversed and followed the first service round the loop as far as Llandudno Junction, and there was a further reversal to return to Llandudno. These were described as Radio Land Cruise trains and a radio commentary was provided in each vehicle

During 1953, the two services continued but were marketed as The Coronation Land Cruise; these continued in 1954, but because of their popularity more services were added. On Tuesday and Thursday there was a Pwllheli start which went round the loop in an anti-clockwise direction, and a fourth service started from Llandudno Junction on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays and followed the Pwllheli start around the loop, before terminating at Caernarfon. The following year it ran Mondays – Fridays.

In 1956 there were some changes; the Rhyl start continued around the loop clockwise, but the Llandudno start reversed at Barmouth Junction – that would have been interesting to see from what I remember of the track layout! – and then went to Aberdovey; after a break of nearly two hours, it returned to Barmouth Junction and then continued clockwise round the loo and back to Llandudno. The Pwllheli train ran as in the previous year, but there is no reference to the Llandudno Junction starting anti-clockwise service in any publication found by Rear, and he presumes it must have been an early casualty.

In 1958, one of the Devon Belle observation cars was transferred to the LMR and given the name The Land Cruise Lounge; its Pullman emblem was replaced with a BR crest, and it had to be turned at the end of each round trip. Then it all gets very confusing; but there's nothing at all about Chester starts. There was, however, a Rhyl start anti-clockwise working in 1960 called the Welsh Chieftain, and 1961 was the last season that the cruise trains operated.

Rear also mentions a service which operated in the 1960 season and was called The Clwyd Ranger; it was an afternoon DMU working on Tuesdays and Wednesdays only, and ran between Llandudno and Corwen, with a reversal at Rhyl. I remember the Welsh Dragon DMU service which operated between Llandudno and Rhyl, but I can't ever remember seeing The Clwyd Ranger

It's interesting that these lines (the Llanberis branch was another) continued to be maintained to passenger standards after local services stopped; I can see the logic if they were to be used as diversionary routes, but this doesn't apply to any of these lines.

In the book about the Ruabon - Barmouth line, there is reference to specials being run to Llangollen when the International Eisteddfod was on, and there is a leaflet about a DMU trip from Uttoxeter to Barmouth; no date is given for the latter, but it left Uttoxeter at 08.42, got back at 23.06, passengers had 5½ hours in Barmouth and it cost 17/- (85p in modern money). But as I said earlier, I haven't found any references to Chester starts

Hope this helps

Welshman

Established Member
That's fascinating - thank you.

I was taken as a child for a holiday in Rhyl during the late 1950s and I remember a trip on the Welsh Dragon when it had just been converted to dmu operation. It was a 4-car Derby Lightweight set and I enjoyed the driver's view through the large front windows from Llandudno to Rhyl. It stopped at the main stations but omitted Llandudno Junction - I suppose it was a holiday service linking the main resorts and the Junction was not important in that respect.
Apparently in previous years it had been a steam-hauled push-pull set - as far as I know the only tank-engine hauled named push-pull set on British Railways!
However, I don't remember the Clwyd Ranger - that would have been a lovely journey down the valley to Denbigh and Ruthin.

Calthrop

Established Member
My "cruise" involving Llangollen (if I haven't imagined the whole thing :s) -- I don't remember whether there was a radio commentary -- would have been when I was aged three or four or five: thus in 1952 or '3 or '4: so, if I'm right, before the days of DMUs. I am fully certain that it was a matter of steam-hauled coaching stock throughout.

duncanp

Established Member
Does the Far Tottering and Oyster Creek Branch Railway (miniature railway in Battersea Park - closed 1975) count?

Liddesdale

Penmanshiel Tunnel (driving 47 420 on an ECS from Berwick to Longniddry with my father giving me a wholly illegal cab ride)
Edinburgh Princes Street - Haymarket West Junction
Dunblane - Callander - Crianlarich Lower
Longniddry - Haddington
Hardengreen Junction - Peebles - Kilnknowe Junction - Galashiels
Bridge of Earn - Glenfarg - Cowdenbeath
Edinburgh Waverley - Abbeyhill - Leith Central (ECS)
Abbeyhill - Piershill - Craigentinny

Status
Not open for further replies.