• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Edington Junction (more commonly known as Edington Burtle; but I always think of it as E.J., owing to its being thus named in a book by O.S. Nock on British branch lines, in which I first learned of these particular routes).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
We next move to England for the next journey.....

This is number 993 in the series so far.....

The journey starts at the closed station of Shincliffe....note 1st and 2nd stations
It follows the line of the NER Leamside Line
It then follows the line of the Stanhope & Tyne Railway
It then follows the line of the Weardale Extension Railway
It then follows the line of the Deerness Valley Railway
It then follows the line of the North Eastern Railway Main Line
It then follows the line of the NER Durham Coast Line
It then follows the line of the Middlesbrough and Guisborough Railway
It then follows the line of the Cleveland Railway
It then follows the line of the Whitby, Redcar and Middlesbrough Union Railway
It then follows the line of the Scarborough and Whitby Railway
It then follows the line of the Y&NMR Scarborough to York Line
It then follows the line of the Malton and Driffield Junction Railway
It then follows the line of the NER Driffield to Selby Line
It then follows the line of the Great Northern Railway Main Line
The journey ends at the closed station of Tallington

The first closed station on this journey is Shincliffe

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
OBSERVATION

Whilst it is noted that Penshaw (2nd station) was correctly posted, noting the direction we are taking, that then should have been followed by Penshaw (1st station), which was situated 10 chains to the north of the 2nd station.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
To be frank, I'm pretty thoroughly lost hereabouts ! (Dewick seems not to have heard of Fatfield; though as we're aware, he isn't omniscient :smile:.)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
To be frank, I'm pretty thoroughly lost hereabouts ! (Dewick seems not to have heard of Fatfield; though as we're aware, he isn't omniscient :smile:.)
Fatfield was known for its medieval connection to the tale of the "Lambton Worm". The story makes for good reading. Later, the colliery there had a mine disaster with fatalities and I was informed many years ago that the station served the miners at that colliery.
Pelton (2nd station) ?
Beamish

Calthrop

Established Member
Fatfield was known for its medieval connection to the tale of the "Lambton Worm". The story makes for good reading. Later, the colliery there had a mine disaster with fatalities and I was informed many years ago that the station served the miners at that colliery.

My bolding - ah, yes; there's a song about it, isn't there? -- Sir John Lambton's unfortunate catch...

West Stanley