• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coast on BBC 2 Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan

Dawlish - Brunels railway under threat

There are only a few coast railways left in Great Britain - but they are under threat. Their sea walls are getting undermined by the waves.

The extension of the railway along the coast In 1843 Isambard Kingdom Brunel was commissioned to build an extension to the Great Western Railway along the south Devon coast to Plymouth. But why did he build the line here?

Due to the landscape he had two options - to build along the coast or put the route through some very long tunnels linking Dawlish to Teignmouth.

The original route was further out and exposed to the sea. But after opposition from locals he built a system of five tunnels through cliffs and a 4 mile sea wall.

The base of the wall which is prone to erosion When the line opened in 1847 he used a new means of propulsion - the Atmospheric system. But it was expensive to maintain and steam locomotives took over after a year.

Mark Horton travels in style on the Torbay Express Steam Train to meet railway historian Peter Kay, to find out about the troubled life of the railway along this stretch of coast.

Tonight Mark Horton will be traveling on the Torbay express with what looks to be some great footage, thats tonight at 8:30.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nathan

Thanks for the heads-up - might watch that.

I had a feeling that some might have thought, hmm coast its going to be boring :lol: Course us in the south can watch tonight and think, we've got better locos than the midlands, but we also have a coast ;)

Guinness

Established Member
I missed it :(

Was it a good program for anyone who watched it? I'll try and find if Virgin Media put it on "Pick of the Week". 8-)

Coxster

Established Member
Went to that Burgh Island place they mentioned last year. Makes quite a nice walk along the top of the cliffs.

devon_metro

Established Member
Good program (as always :lol:), bit to much Farce Late Western for my liking though ;)

I didn't see FGW doing anything wrong. Care to enlighten me on what errors they made in that footage? Perhaps the unit at Starcross was 1 second late?

adambro

Quite funny seeing the old Transpennine Express 158s. Looks slightly more scenic than doing Manchester to Hull.

Status
Not open for further replies.