• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Colas Rail Trainee Train Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OntheRails75

Congratulations to those who have interviews in Rugby next week !

I was part of what seemed like the second batch of people to be notified that they had passed stage 1, but whose date for the 2nd stage was unconfirmed because the assessment centre was full. Anyone else from that group had a date confirmed yet ???

Rhaun

Are there any Colas drivers that can given an insite to what they are like to work for as a company. PM's welcome if you do not feel comfortable to comment on open forum.

Would be nice to hear from persons working for the company about how they work and the positives/negatives.

Thanks in advance.

mark07

Are there any Colas drivers that can given an insite to what they are like to work for as a company. PM's welcome if you do not feel comfortable to comment on open forum.

Would be nice to hear from persons working for the company about how they work and the positives/negatives.

Thanks in advance.

Could I be a pain and ask the same please?

Good luck to all who have interviews this week

cnm101

Does anyone know what the score is with regards to the second batch of candidates who where told to wait out for stage 2?
I phoned earlier to try and find a provisional/estimated date for stage 2 and was told the guy who deals with it was on leave until monday. The bloke I spoke with said he couldn't speculate on the second lot of candidates but said that the final interviews were happening now and gave the impression that if we were not on this then it seemed highly unlikely that a position would be available. I got the impression that the second lot may have have missed out for this particular recruitment drive and are more of a reserve or held on a list for future openings. Like I said this was just my opinion from speaking to them today, does anyone know anything different?

OntheRails75

Does anyone know what the score is with regards to the second batch of candidates who where told to wait out for stage 2?
I phoned earlier to try and find a provisional/estimated date for stage 2 and was told the guy who deals with it was on leave until monday. The bloke I spoke with said he couldn't speculate on the second lot of candidates but said that the final interviews were happening now and gave the impression that if we were not on this then it seemed highly unlikely that a position would be available. I got the impression that the second lot may have have missed out for this particular recruitment drive and are more of a reserve or held on a list for future openings. Like I said this was just my opinion from speaking to them today, does anyone know anything different?

I echo your sentiments of concern. I also phoned Colas this morning, but my phone call was not so disparaging. The lady I spoke to actually told me very little, but when asked, she did say I was still in contention for the role.
Am hoping there are lots of variables in their decision making equation which is what is causing the delay. Maybe we will find out either way next week when the interviews are finished in Rugby. Not knowing is bad, not knowing when we will know is worse - but this seems to be part of the process for the 'reserves'. Stiff upper lip fella, everyone loves an underdog !

outseyuk

Nothing yet. They told me we'd hopefully know this week but hinted that HR are a little on the slow side!

outseyuk

They have a couple more interviews to do today before deciding the final intake.

Looking at Wednesday or Thursday (at the latest) for notifications. Good luck.

cnm101

I echo your sentiments of concern. I also phoned Colas this morning, but my phone call was not so disparaging. The lady I spoke to actually told me very little, but when asked, she did say I was still in contention for the role.
Am hoping there are lots of variables in their decision making equation which is what is causing the delay. Maybe we will find out either way next week when the interviews are finished in Rugby. Not knowing is bad, not knowing when we will know is worse - but this seems to be part of the process for the 'reserves'. Stiff upper lip fella, everyone loves an underdog !

Have you heard anything yet? I'm wondering wether it will be this side of christmas or months down the line?

OntheRails75

Have you heard anything yet? I'm wondering wether it will be this side of christmas or months down the line?

Nothing yet. Am assuming good or bad news for us is related to the results from the ongoing interviews.

Any of the guys who interviewed last week be kind enough to offer a suggestion of how many they were interviewing last week ????

mark07

Nothing yet. Am assuming good or bad news for us is related to the results from the ongoing interviews.

Any of the guys who interviewed last week be kind enough to offer a suggestion of how many they were interviewing last week ????

I think there might have been about 12 last week. Someone else I have been talking to had an interview same day as me, he was in at 1030 I was in at 3 so if it was roughly 1 1/2 hours per interview it would work out 6 each day. Plus however many have been interviewed today. have also heard that colas have increased the number of drivers they require due to incrased workload so there is a good change they will put more through 2nd stage/ interviews

OntheRails75

I think there might have been about 12 last week. Someone else I have been talking to had an interview same day as me, he was in at 1030 I was in at 3 so if it was roughly 1 1/2 hours per interview it would work out 6 each day. Plus however many have been interviewed today. have also heard that colas have increased the number of drivers they require due to incrased workload so there is a good change they will put more through 2nd stage/ interviews

Thanks for the reply. Nice to get some potentially more positive news on this after weeks of waiting.

Best of luck with your result !

Rhaun

I received my offer of a position as trainee driver with Colas last week. Sadly I had to decline the offer. My reasons for this are largely personal to my own circumstances. I learnt a lot about the t&c's of employment and the expectations around training which are specific to this company and came to the conclusion that I would not be able to comit to what was required at this time. Was a tough decision to make in all honesty. I am not sure how TOCS and FOCs can remedy this type of thing, but there is no doubt that with a little more information at the start of the process I would have made the same decision far sooner.

Colas were very good about my decision though and they are certainly a company that I would be happy to work for if circumstances were different. Is just one of those things.

I shall have to focus on other options to becoming a train driver.

benno79

Pleased you got offed the job Rhaun but sorry you had to turn it down, at least you will be able to go to any other toc/foc with your assessment passes :)

Last edited:

outseyuk

I received my offer of a position as trainee driver with Colas last week. Sadly I had to decline the offer. My reasons for this are largely personal to my own circumstances. I learnt a lot about the t&c's of employment and the expectations around training which are specific to this company and came to the conclusion that I would not be able to comit to what was required at this time. Was a tough decision to make in all honesty. I am not sure how TOCS and FOCs can remedy this type of thing, but there is no doubt that with a little more information at the start of the process I would have made the same decision far sooner.

Colas were very good about my decision though and they are certainly a company that I would be happy to work for if circumstances were different. Is just one of those things.

I shall have to focus on other options to becoming a train driver.

I assume you mean the training contract tie-in? This was discussed in my interview, although it may have been because I asked more about their contract situation due to the rumours at the start of this thread of it being a zero hours position.

outseyuk

I'm awaiting my medical and confirmation of start date but that would be my intention in the new year, yes.

Received written contract etc on Saturday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.