• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Collecting footage for YouTube

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Hello all,

Is YouTube a grey area for TfL filming rules? Only reading their site they say that it's fine for personal use at station staff discretion that's not for profit use.

Does YouTube come under that? My account isn't linked to monetization and never will be I won't be using it for that.

What I want to do is film 73TS stock on their final year of service at all the stations, though would only be at each station for no more than 20 minutes, with a home handheld camcorder, and then somepoint release it on YouTube next year for people to watch / watch in the future to remember the stock.

Do I need to apply for a permit and pay £££ per hour?

I have on my old camcorder filmed tube stock a few years ago for YouTube not had problems even got some 72 stock terminating at Queen Park on and engineering day when everything terminated there, walked down the arrivals only side, talking to staff and said just filming stuff for YouTube and he just said that's fine, don't use flash but I doubt you have that that on your camcorder, be safe and have a good time, really good experience

So I assume YouTube (non profit) counts as no permit needed just at discretion?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bluegoblin7

Established Member
As long as you have a valid ticket and the footage is for personal use you’ll have no problems from a “The Rules” standpoint.

However, you may wish to sign in with the Customer Service Supervisor/Manager if you are going to be at a location for 20 minutes. Whilst there is no requirement to do so, it can help to avoid any awkward confrontations later on if they notice you and become concerned.

Irrespective of the above, staff are within their rights to ask you to move on for any reason, although if you’re not obstructing the flow nor causing a nuisance there isn’t really any legitimate reason why. If you are asked to move on, the best advice is to comply and come back another day. Unfortunately, not all staff are as au fait on the rules as they perhaps should be, although filming is likely to draw more attention than a photograph due to the nature of it.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
As long as you have a valid ticket and the footage is for personal use you’ll have no problems from a “The Rules” standpoint.

However, you may wish to sign in with the Customer Service Supervisor/Manager if you are going to be at a location for 20 minutes. Whilst there is no requirement to do so, it can help to avoid any awkward confrontations later on if they notice you and become concerned.

Irrespective of the above, staff are within their rights to ask you to move on for any reason, although if you’re not obstructing the flow nor causing a nuisance there isn’t really any legitimate reason why. If you are asked to move on, the best advice is to comply and come back another day. Unfortunately, not all staff are as au fait on the rules as they perhaps should be, although filming is likely to draw more attention than a photograph due to the nature of it.

Thank you, spent probably 15 mins most at Cockfosters, less time elsewhere, no problems at all with camcorder, wasn't approached by anyone though heard the 'if you see anything suspicious..' plenty of times don't know if that's automatically played frequently anyway

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
though heard the 'if you see anything suspicious..' plenty of times don't know if that's automatically played frequently anyway
That announcement plays across the country automatically constantly.

I wouldn't be surprised if it plays through the night at Crewe or Preston during the hours of nothing between the sleeper calls.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I've had no problems personally, indeed recorded a video at Fulham Broadway on saturday, the only issue i had was an idiot who felt he had to walk in front of instead of behind me even though the platform was otherwise deserted!

birchesgreen

Established Member
It even plays in the middle of the Scottish Highlands!
Following global nuclear armageddon, while the dust settles over the ruins of the world, a single voice can be head from under the rubble... "speak to staff or text the British Transport Police on..."

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Hello all,

Is YouTube a grey area for TfL filming rules? Only reading their site they say that it's fine for personal use at station staff discretion that's not for profit use.

Does YouTube come under that? My account isn't linked to monetization and never will be I won't be using it for that.

What I want to do is film 73TS stock on their final year of service at all the stations, though would only be at each station for no more than 20 minutes, with a home handheld camcorder, and then somepoint release it on YouTube next year for people to watch / watch in the future to remember the stock.

Do I need to apply for a permit and pay £££ per hour?

I have on my old camcorder filmed tube stock a few years ago for YouTube not had problems even got some 72 stock terminating at Queen Park on and engineering day when everything terminated there, walked down the arrivals only side, talking to staff and said just filming stuff for YouTube and he just said that's fine, don't use flash but I doubt you have that that on your camcorder, be safe and have a good time, really good experience

So I assume YouTube (non profit) counts as no permit needed just at discretion?
In practice the rules are there to prevent large companies from filming adverts or using the TfL brands alongside their own.

You can turn up and take pictures or video, or vlog yourself, with no issues. Whether your YouTube is monetised or not isn't really relevant; they don't care.

birchesgreen

Established Member
In practice the rules are there to prevent large companies from filming adverts or using the TfL brands alongside their own.

You can turn up and take pictures or video, or vlog yourself, with no issues. Whether your YouTube is monetised or not isn't really relevant; they don't care.
I think as always with these things, if you arn't being a nuisance or causing concern to staff (being too close to the edge et cetera) then no one will really be that bothered.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I think as always with these things, if you arn't being a nuisance or causing concern to staff (being too close to the edge et cetera) then no one will really be that bothered.
Yes, and are discreet. No tripods or massive cameras, keep yourself to yourself.

dosxuk

Established Member
Definitely no tripods, no extra lighting and no flash. All of those are even banned for professional users who've paid the fees, done all the risk assessments and got the permits when the location is open to the public.

And don't be too discreet - if staff spot you, but you hide or run off every time a member of staff gets near, they'll get suspicious of what you're up to.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Thanks again guys looking forward to next visit still have everything South of Wood Green to do yet!

Some great locations where you can get long shots of them coming down the platform or leaving, have some 'bin' shots though, one person walking on the edge as one came in sure it was on purpose to get in shot, or when a trains leaving they seem to walk right up to the edge to watch it leave, like standing at the edge might bring it back or something :lol:

73TS stock isn't one of my favorites for some reason, but I thought if I don't do this, I'll regret it! Some stations I haven't done before and discovering things like some nice track jointed sounds (Arnos Grove) and Southgate southbound is brilliant when they enter the tunnel and get that deep 'boom' sound

Elecman

Established Member
Following global nuclear armageddon, while the dust settles over the ruins of the world, a single voice can be head from under the rubble... "speak to staff or text the British Transport Police on..."
Like button definitely required !! :lol:

BostonGeorge

I may have said this previously on this forum, but I was stopped at King's Cross when attempting to use an Insta360 X3 to record something for personal use. A CSA claimed I was a security risk (I was recording the interchange from the Northern line to the Met/Circle/H&C for my brother with Down's syndrome - just so he could look at the video on his phone if he got lost or confused when travelling solo). I do have a short fuse, and find it hard to refrain from kicking off at these people who seemingly exist to make the lives of others needlessly difficult.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
I may have said this previously on this forum, but I was stopped at King's Cross when attempting to use an Insta360 X3 to record something for personal use. A CSA claimed I was a security risk (I was recording the interchange from the Northern line to the Met/Circle/H&C for my brother with Down's syndrome - just so he could look at the video on his phone if he got lost or confused when travelling solo). I do have a short fuse, and find it hard to refrain from kicking off at these people who seemingly exist to make the lives of others needlessly difficult.

Staff are well within their rights to stop you, especially if you are hanging around, as I have mentioned up thread. Having a short fuse won't help your case, I'm afraid.

A robust but polite response to suggest they check with their supervisor, and to sign in if required, would almost certainly have resulted in you being able to continue, based on my knowledge of the staff at King's Cross, many of whom are ex-colleagues.

BostonGeorge

Staff are well within their rights to stop you, especially if you are hanging around, as I have mentioned up thread. Having a short fuse won't help your case, I'm afraid.

A robust but polite response to suggest they check with their supervisor, and to sign in if required, would almost certainly have resulted in you being able to continue, based on my knowledge of the staff at King's Cross, many of whom are ex-colleagues.
A polite exchange initially occurred. I was asked what I was doing, I explained what I was doing, and the guy still deemed me a "security risk". Apparently, you see, my video could be posted online, and would be terrorists could use it to plot an attack. I'm not making this up. It was recently pointed out to Underground station interiors are going to be available on Google Street View (Islamic State are punching the air as we speak).

bluegoblin7

Established Member
A polite exchange initially occurred. I was asked what I was doing, I explained what I was doing, and the guy still deemed me a "security risk". Apparently, you see, my video could be posted online, and would be terrorists could use it to plot an attack. I'm not making this up. It was recently pointed out to Underground station interiors are going to be available on Google Street View (Islamic State are punching the air as we speak).
And with an attitude like that I’m not at all surprised you got the response you did.

“Security risk” can cover many things, many of which you won’t be aware of.

Again, staff are well within their rights to move you along.

Trackman

Established Member
Happened to me on tube, at an overground station. Two BTP officers turned up and told me terrorists could use the footage. What terrorist would want with a film of my family I dont know. I still have the camcorder footage lol!

Established Member

Happened to me on tube, at an overground station. Two BTP officers turned up and told me terrorists could use the footage. What terrorist would want with a film of my family I dont know. I still have the camcorder footage lol!

The reality is that if you trigger someone’s “spidey senses” you can be asked to leave for any reason, or none. There is no intrinsic right to film on railway property so, if asked to stop filming and move on, it’s best to simply comply. For the same reasons it’s also a good idea to approach staff beforehand, explain what you’re hoping to do, and get their buy in.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A little power and a uniform - it's amazing what it can do to the egos of some, especially a police uniform worn by individuals who probably should never have been considered for the role. As you say, there is no thinking behind what they told you. I'm sure right now a bunch of terrorists are looking through Geoff Marshall's myriad videos on YouTube planning their next attack using them as a masterclass. :rolleyes:

birchesgreen

Established Member
A little power and a uniform - it's amazing what it can do to the egos of some, especially a police uniform worn by individuals who probably should never have been considered for the role. As you say, there is no thinking behind what they told you. I'm sure right now a bunch of terrorists are looking through Geoff Marshall's myriad videos on YouTube planning their next attack using them as a masterclass. :rolleyes:
Not just Geoff, there are dozens of people doing videos on the tube and scores more doing photography. I doubt there is even the most obscure and hard to find aspect of the network that hasn't got extensive media coverage online.