• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Collecting photographs of London Underground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

subway156

Good day people and greetings from Easton, Pennsylvania. Yes, another town in the U.S. with a stolen name from the UK. Actually, I live in the area known as Wilson Borough, but enough of that stuff. I am one of 2 administrators of a subway page on Facebook. I am always in the hunt for sources of photo's that I can use for sharing on FB. Going onto the net, sometimes leaves me at a loss because the sources are limited, or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. Many of us are thrilled by the rolling stock of London's wonderful system. I am a subway nut, having been born a block away from the 3rd Avenue Elevated which was a huge line that ran through 2 counties from the tip of Manhattan to the northern Bronx. There are many images of that and the other 3 elevated lines in Manhattan. The were all built around the same time, 1868 and the last was demolished in 1974. Getting back to your system. I seek photos of the earliest rolling stock prior to WWII especially. There are limited numbers of these trains and they are very cool, indeed. They are well repsresnted in books, but not on the net. Does anyone know where I can access such photos? I have been writing to websites for permission to use their properties and have had some success. But, I do not disobey the laws of photo ownership. I also want to mention that I seek any photos of any underground or surface stock used now and then. I appreciate any information that will help our cause. I thank you for your time and attention in this matter.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Hello there!

Have you tried going direct to the Loondon Transport museum for what you are after?

simple simon

Last edited:

subway156

Thank you for helping me out. The quality of the pictures I have seen so far is excellent. Well Done to you all. I appreciate your sharing with me and our fellow fans and spotters.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Usually, they tell you that their own the rights to everything found on the net. I guess they want you to buy their publications. I intend to write them for permission, but have little hopes. I have written to several on-line publications and have had some success. But even though some give permission, Flickr (for one) does not allow sharing 100% of their properties. I just keep plugging along because I am unemployed and have too much time on my hands (like the words to the song by Styx). But, I have learned many facts about many rail systems worldwide. I do not conentrate on mass-transit only, but all manner and facets of railroads. I really love older photos that teach the history as well. I am enamored with the very early Undergound's rolling stock. They are the coolest for me. Here, in my native NYC, all of my favorite subway cars are from before the WWII era. It's almost time for a berr. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.