• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Combining season and standard tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

initiation

Hi, a question regarding combining tickets and onward travel. I have a Bristol Temple Meads - Yatton season ticket but am regularly travelling to Cornwall after work on a Friday to visit my other half. Having read various searches I want to check something.

I can buy an off peak return from Yatton to Cornwall and then board a train at Bristol (eg the 1713 or 1744) but which doesn't stop at Yatton (first stop Taunton) and still be ok because my season ticket covers me under the Bristol -Yatton leg even though it doesn't stop . This is clause 19 in the conditions of carriage right?

And it doesn't matter on the TOC used from Bristol? Either FGW or XC even though I don't think Xc use Yatton?

Are ticket inspectors commonly aware of this rule or do they need it explaining to and cause hassle? It's a fiver saving on an off peak return so not too bad....

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
You are correct. The train does not need to call at Yatton.

There is no train company restriction provided that your tickets both say Any Permitted.

Train managers are generally quite good I find, but it could help if you bring a copy of the condition with you just in case. You need Condition 19(c) of the NRCoC.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are ticket inspectors commonly aware of this rule or do they need it explaining to and cause hassle?
It is true that some Train Companies provide inadequate training, and don't ensure their ticket inspectors are familiar with the Conditions of Carriage. However if they are not sure, they should be prepared to check before charging you.

If you do get incorrectly charged, you can either pay it and write to get your money back and request adequate training is provided, or if you prefer, bring a copy of the NRCoC with you and argue your case. The former is probably better as it ensures that you get an apology and steps are taken to address the matter so that it won't happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.