• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterY

Established Member
I'm convinced a lot of the more intrusive advertising is actually counter productive, for example thanks to their numerous annoying Youtube ads I can confidently say I well never make a purchase from Serenata Flowers.
Luckily I don't get annoying Youtube ads. I got so fed up I got an ad blocker. There's ads :D and then also there's too many of them :'( :'( :'( :'( . They drive me nutty. :D :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm convinced a lot of the more intrusive advertising is actually counter productive, for example thanks to their numerous annoying Youtube ads I can confidently say I well never make a purchase from Serenata Flowers.

Oh yes, that one got on my nerves when it was on too often a while back. Hankook Tyres is almost at the same level now, and TikTok just never stops advertising on YouTube. Earlier in the year WhatsApp were spamming YouTube with ads and if I didn't use it to occasionally message one one of my sisters in Ireland, and for messages from the landlady in a group alert message thing, then I'd get rid of WhatsApp altogether.

There's plenty of ads that are getting on my wick recently, let's just say there's a lot of companies I won't buy from as a result.

I echo the person who said about those pop-ups about how many people are looking at something is counter-productive. It really doesn't encourage me to buy something! Quite, I actively avoid Amazon, eBay and the like already so it is thankfully not a major issue for me. Online shopping is not something I'm a big fan of, unless it's a repeat order of something I already have and use regularly so I know it's good already.

duncanp

Established Member
Talking of You Tube, can we ban the practice of videos automatically pausing after 1 hour with the message "Video paused - continue watching", and then when you click Yes, it comes up with the message "Thanks for confirming".

What is the point of that?

If I want to pause a video, or no longer watch it, I am capable of doing so myself. <(<(

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You get that after an hour? I'm lucky if my current Anthems of 2022 playlist, around 75 minutes at the most, doesn't get 3 pauses. 2 'video is paused' occasions is common, rarely I'll get one.

Yesterday (or was it this morning, not sure now!) I got one of those pauses on a track it often pauses on. It never pauses in the same place which is odd, but it paused literally just 1 or 2 seconds before the video ended :rolleyes:

I seriously have no idea how that makes any sense, and why YouTube felt the need to introduce this annoying feature. If anyone knows how to disable it, I will be very pleased to hear from you!

py_megapixel

Established Member
I seriously have no idea how that makes any sense, and why YouTube felt the need to introduce this annoying feature.
I imagine it is so that if someone starts a video and then wanders off and forgets about it, it won't sit there potentially streaming for hours and taking up server resources that could be used by an actual viewer/listener.

AM9

Veteran Member
I imagine it is so that if someone starts a video and then wanders off and forgets about it, it won't sit there potentially streaming for hours and taking up server resources that could be used by an actual viewer/listener.
Or there will be nobody watching the ads when they are shown. ;)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Can we ban those new style supermarket shopping baskets with the castors and a silly long handle?

Who in their right mind saw the chaos wheeled suitcases cause in airports and railway stations, and thought "now that's what our supermarket needs!"? Not only are they a trip hazard, they're pretty much the same size as the good old baskets but now your shopping is always at ankle level- how flippin' convenient!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Can we ban those new style supermarket shopping baskets with the castors and a silly long handle?

Who in their right mind saw the chaos wheeled suitcases cause in airports and railway stations, and thought "now that's what our supermarket needs!"? Not only are they a trip hazard, they're pretty much the same size as the good old baskets but now your shopping is always at ankle level- how flippin' convenient!
I'm going to second this. I had to use one in Aldi recently because I didn't have a pound coin for a proper trolley. They're worse when you get to the checkout because you either got to bend down to unload them, or place them at the end of the conveyer belt and reach in. I can manage the latter, but I can imagine that shorter people might struggle because they're deeper than a standard basket.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Got to agree there with those pull-along baskets, they're an interesting idea on paper but in reality they're just in the way so much more than a regular basket. I'm sure for some people they're brilliant, but for the majority of us it's just a pain in the proverbial.

On average I'd say I'm in a supermarket 5 times a week doing shopping, it's easier for me as I don't have enough capacity on the back/with the arms to carry too much in one go, and quite frankly it's habit these days. So I have no problem with the regular baskets, and I'd love to meet the person who needs one of these new baskets!

Calthrop

Established Member
Or -- with the old-fashioned use of "basket" as a euphemism for the rather similar-sounding word meaning "offspring of parents not married to each other" -- they could be described as "real baskets".

PeterY

Established Member
Got to agree there with those pull-along baskets, they're an interesting idea on paper but in reality they're just in the way so much more than a regular basket. I'm sure for some people they're brilliant, but for the majority of us it's just a pain in the proverbial.

On average I'd say I'm in a supermarket 5 times a week doing shopping, it's easier for me as I don't have enough capacity on the back/with the arms to carry too much in one go, and quite frankly it's habit these days. So I have no problem with the regular baskets, and I'd love to meet the person who needs one of these new baskets!
Yes those pull along baskets are a menace.
Like you, I shop several times a week but only buy what I can carry in a rucksack. My friend she gets me things , like toilet rolls with her on line shop. I'm single so I shop has and when but I've enough to last a rolling week.

xotGD

Established Member
I quite like the wheeled baskets. Once the basket gets quite full, pulling it along at floor level is more comfortable than carrying it.
The disadvantage being when you get to the checkout and realise that you can barely lift all of your shopping!

AM9

Veteran Member
That is to avoid revealing to a hacker that they have found a valid username.
I do object to password boxes only showing asterix's or other marker symbols instead of giving the user the choice to show what they are entering.

AM9

Veteran Member
There's usually an "eye" symbol you can click to switch between passwords being shown or hidden.
Don't agree with 'usually', most web site creators seem either too idle to test their creations with real users, or have their heads in their own nether regions about 'security'.

nw1

Established Member
The increasingly unfriendly attitude being displayed by banks if you want to visit them in-person. NatWest introduced a wait system about three years ago (so before Covid and lockdown) and now it's even more stringent - you have to check in on your phone before being given a slot. I might be getting old but I preferred banks as they were in the 90s, 00s and most of the 10s - sorry.

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The increasingly unfriendly attitude being displayed by banks if you want to visit them in-person. NatWest introduced a wait system about three years ago (so before Covid and lockdown) and now it's even more stringent - you have to check in on your phone before being given a slot.
And of course, in a year or two's time, numerous more bank branches will then be closed, the justification being much reduced branch useage. :rolleyes:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Want it Nat West who did the "my banks been turned into a trendy wine bar" advert a couple of years ago, suggesting that they didn't do such things.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Want it Nat West who did the "my banks been turned into a trendy wine bar" advert a couple of years ago, suggesting that they didn't do such things.
Yes, here it is:

The closed NatWest branch near where I live has displayed a sign for a while saying "FOR LEASE - ideal bar/restaurant opportunity"...

DelW

Established Member
The increasingly unfriendly attitude being displayed by banks if you want to visit them in-person. NatWest introduced a wait system about three years ago (so before Covid and lockdown) and now it's even more stringent - you have to check in on your phone before being given a slot. I might be getting old but I preferred banks as they were in the 90s, 00s and most of the 10s - sorry.
I don't know how widespread that is, but it must vary between branches. I've visited my local NatWest branch probably a couple of dozen times over the last two years, by walking in off the street. I've had to queue on a few occasions (outside during the early Covid days), but I've never had to pre-book other than once when I needed to meet a specific member of staff. My recent visits have been just like pre-Covid: walk in, wait a minute or two if there are customers already at the counter, carry out my transaction once they've finished, back outside within five minutes at most.