• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Purple Train

Established Member
Supermarket aisle signs that do not have items in the order which they are in.

For instance, having:

Eggs Free From
Milk Menswear
Bread Fish*

But the bread is not at the near end, on the left hand side, the eggs aren't at the far end, on the left hand side, etc.

*These are examples and not indicative of the way things are organised in my local Sainsbury's. Although having a disabled toilet that's too narrow for a wheelchair is almost as dysfunctional.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

al78

Established Member
Maybe they are having to keep to a 20mph limit.
Not on the A281 Guildford road in Horsham, that is a standard 30 mph limit. There is a short section immediately on heading out of town where you have to be careful because of double parking, a row of shops/services and pedestrians waiting to cross, but beyond that section there is no reason to be that slow, other than Horsham appears to be home to some of the world's slowest people.

AM9

Veteran Member
Not on the A281 Guildford road in Horsham, that is a standard 30 mph limit. There is a short section immediately on heading out of town where you have to be careful because of double parking, a row of shops/services and pedestrians waiting to cross, but beyond that section there is no reason to be that slow, other than Horsham appears to be home to some of the world's slowest people drivers who don't want to drive at the same speed as you.
Corrected that for you.

dangie

Established Member
The BBC Game Show ‘Only Connect’. I tend to watch it as it follows Mastermind.
I don’t know why I watch it, as not only have I never managed to answer a question correctly, but even after the answer is given I don’t understand it.

Gloster

Established Member
Every time there is a news item about a car that has gone off the road, a staple of the Isle of Wight’s media, some clown will make the comment ‘Can’t park there, mate.’ I shouldn’t look, but I read the comments in order to feel superior about the utterly imbecilic thoughts, for want of a better word, of the posters and then worry that many of these numpties are driving cars.

AM9

Veteran Member
The BBC Game Show ‘Only Connect’. I tend to watch it as it follows Mastermind.
I don’t know why I watch it, as not only have I never managed to answer a question correctly, but even after the answer is given I don’t understand it.
I sometimes watch it, and if I'm awake, I might get one or two correct per show. Clearly it's for serious lateral thinkers, rather than a wrinkly who happens to have quite a good long-term memory. ;)

Gloster

Established Member
The increasing use of different ways to write the date, with (what I think) are American styles slowly but unsystematically moving in. At best they mean extra attention has to be paid to something that should be straightforward, at worst they can lead to errors. (With the Royal Mail’s delivery times nowadays, was that letter sent on the 12th of November or the 11th of December?)

Welly

The increasing use of different ways to write the date, with (what I think) are American styles slowly but unsystematically moving in. At best they mean extra attention has to be paid to something that should be straightforward, at worst they can lead to errors. (With the Royal Mail’s delivery times nowadays, was that letter sent on the 12th of November or the 11th of December?)
Hard yes! At work I use an US made software to help me support medical equipment and am sick of having to mentally translate the US dates into proper dates every time I check the events log!

al78

Established Member
Corrected that for you.
You didn't correct it at all, your self asserted correction was completely incorrect. My comment was about the population of Horsham in general, not just when driving, and as I said, if they are driving slower on a clear main road than I am capable of cycling, they are going too slow IMO unless they are looking for an address.

AM9

Veteran Member
You didn't correct it at all, your self asserted correction was completely incorrect. My comment was about the population of Horsham in general, not just when driving, and as I said, if they are driving slower on a clear main road than I am capable of cycling, they are going too slow IMO unless they are looking for an address.
Please observe that I correected your assertion that "some of the world's slowest people" were there getting in your way in humble Horsham. Clearly nobody could really ascertain whether those drivers were even anywhere near the slowest drivers 'in the world' but for sure you felt that they should be gouing faster than they were because you were able to go faster on a cycle. Fortunately, most drivers recognise that the speed limit is just that, i.e. the maximum speed for that section of road, and the law allows a driver to proceed at a speed that they regard as safe in the conditions at the time. If a following driver has a different opinion of a safe speed it is irrelevant to others.

Gloster

Established Member
As an addition to the comment about dates in #6,518 is the appearance of the word draft for (involuntary) military service. Even the Telegraph, that bastion of old-fashioned Englishness and military values (or so it thinks), used the word in a front-page headline. The word in British English is conscription: I know that Sun readers might have trouble with such a long word, but Telegraph reader should cope, even if it isn’t an easy fit in the headline.

birchesgreen

Established Member
As an addition to the comment about dates in #6,518 is the appearance of the word draft for (involuntary) military service. Even the Telegraph, that bastion of old-fashioned Englishness and military values (or so it thinks), used the word in a front-page headline. The word in British English is conscription: I know that Sun readers might have trouble with such a long word, but Telegraph reader should cope, even if it isn’t an easy fit in the headline.
Telegraph has been taken over by neocons these days obsessed with America. Colonel Blimp and the Rector have long gone.

Gloster

Established Member
The habit of writing, presumably originated by a computer, times in a mixture of styles: 05.30 p.m. It is either 5.30 p.m. or 17.30. These are clear and unmistakeable, so why do some smarta**es use such a potentially confusing method of displaying something so basic.

dangie

Established Member
BBC reporters.
Reporting on the trial of former Pakistani cricketer Imran Khan.

'Imran Khan hasn't been seen in public since he began a 3 year jail sentence 6 months ago'

He hasn't been seen in public as he was in prison.....!!!!

75A

Established Member
People who drive as though the speed limits are in kph even on a clear main road where it is safe to go at or at least much closer to the limit. If I can keep up with you on a bicycle for half a mile on a free flowing main road heading out of town with no give way junctions and no pedestrians around, you are driving too slow and might as well be riding a bicycle.
Think of us here in Ireland where there are many roads that criss cross the border and the road signs change from mph to kph with regularity.

Telegraph has been taken over by neocons these days obsessed with America. Colonel Blimp and the Rector have long gone.
As have a lot of their readers, myself included.

Last edited:

Established Member
The "peel here to open" tabs on packets of bacon which either tear off, rip the film or are impossible to get hold of in the first place.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I was on a work Teams call once, when the head of R&D unwittingly gave the attendees a "roving reporter" moment - of her walking from home office to her lavatory, leaving her Teams call unmuted as she spent a penny...
How many Frank Drebin memes did she find in the "show chat" column when she came back?

boyaloud

When there's a double set of doors and people all slowly squeeze, usually in single file, through one door and no-one attempts to open the other door so that twice as many people can exit or enter. I always push or pull and say loudly "TWO DOORS!"

AM9

Veteran Member
When there's a double set of doors and people all slowly squeeze, usually in single file, through one door and no-one attempts to open the other door so that twice as many people can exit or enter. I always push or pull and say loudly "TWO DOORS!"
That's assuming the other door isn't bolted, in which case you look a but daft when you try to open it.

On a more serious not though, the thing that I find most irritating is the ignoramus's that when I hold a door open for them just walk through with not even eyue contact as if it was my duty. Sometimes, depending on the situation I will say "Oh I'm sorry, - did you say something to me" to which if they answer 'no', I reply "OK, I thought that you may have said Thank You"

Last edited:

ABB125

Established Member
That's assuming the other door isn't bolted, in which case you look a but daft when you try to open it. :rolleyes:
That's why you should always be subtle in trying to open the other door: if it's bolted, no-one will notice that you tried to open it, if it is open then you get to grandly open it, to the delight of all around!
(That may be an exaggeration...)

dangie

Established Member
From the BBC:
Researchers at the world's biggest particle accelerator in Switzerland have submitted proposals for a new, much larger, supercollider.
Its aim is to discover new particles that would revolutionise physics and lead to a more complete understanding of how the Universe works. If approved, it will be three times larger than the current giant machine. But its £17bn price tag has raised some eyebrows, with one critic describing the expenditure as "reckless".

Now obviously I have no knowledge on what this is, what it does, or how it does it. But from what I can gather, the original Hadron Collider hasn’t done what it was designed to do, so let’s build a bigger one.

Prof Fabiola Gianotti, told BBC News that, if approved, it will be a "beautiful machine".
She added “We are missing something big,''

Personally I think they are missing something a bit more basic. Something between the ears…..