• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
When you’ve known a person just long enough that it’s become uncomfortable to ask them what their name is again…

Bevan Price

Established Member
The automated message when a post is merged on this site. Despite the process being automated (and adding quotes being difficult to do using the "edit" function when on a mobile device) the message seems to be very angry- it gives the impression that some poor mod has had to go outside in all weathers and wind some sort of heavy lever in order to merge the posts!
The automated merge is an infernal menace, and I wish it was scrapped. All too often, it merges two totally unrelated posts, just because nobody has posted anything in that thread since my previous post , e,g. in "Now Playing" in the General Discussions.

duncanp

Established Member
TV remakes, they are always rubbish compared to the original.

I would like to ban spin off series from TV game shows and "reality" (if ever a type of TV program was misleadingly named this is it) shows.

eg. You start off with Masterchef, then you have Junior Masterchef, then Masterchef Australia, then Junior Masterchef Australia.

Stop flogging a dead horse and pretending that all these spin off programs are any different from the original. <(

And whilst on the subject of television, I would ban broadcasters from shortening the names of TV programs, ie:-

It's "The Great British Bake Off" not "Bake Off" <(

and

It's "Strictly Come Dancing" not "Strictly" <(

and for crying out loud, can people stop "taking to ****ter" and complaining if some newspaper or website reveals who was "voted off" one of these two of programs at the weekend before you have had a chance to watch it. It's not the end of the world you know. <(<(

birchesgreen

Established Member
eg. You start off with Masterchef, then you have Junior Masterchef, then Masterchef Australia, then Junior Masterchef Australia.
Actually creating a franchise like that is very good for the country financially and for our soft power. We need to be doing more of that kind of thing to be honest.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Absolutely 100% with you on the reality TV bits there! The Bake Off one, I will confess to using it but mostly in the context of 'Ugh, Bakeoff's back'.

duncanp

Established Member
Actually creating a franchise like that is very good for the country financially and for our soft power. We need to be doing more of that kind of thing to be honest.

Yes, but do we really need to see all the spin off programs in the UK?

I can't see the point of showing Masterchef Australia in the UK as well as Masterchef.

nlogax

Established Member
I can't see the point of showing Masterchef Australia in the UK as well as Masterchef.

Outside of the name they are very different shows / formats. I don't make a habit of watching them but I know plenty of UK fans of the Australian version who wouldn't go near Torode & Wallace's efforts.

gg1

Established Member
And while we're on that subject, even the name of the programme annoys me.

Come Dancing was a long running series going back to the days of black and white TV, consistently having viewing figures in the high teens until one day in the noughties a TV exec had the bright idea of torturing us with a celebrity version.

At this point an acceptable name would have been 'Celebrity Come Dancing', but no to increase the irritation factor they gave it the utterly ridiculous name of 'Strictly Come Dancing'.

SteveM70

Established Member
And while we're on that subject, even the name of the programme annoys me.

Come Dancing was a long running series going back to the days of black and white TV, consistently having viewing figures in the high teens until one day in the noughties a TV exec had the bright idea of torturing us with a celebrity version.

At this point an acceptable name would have been 'Celebrity Come Dancing', but no to increase the irritation factor they gave it the utterly ridiculous name of 'Strictly Come Dancing'.

I always assumed it was named to reference the 90s film Strictly Ballroom (along with the old TV programme Come Dancing). The film was credited with helping make ballroom dancing trendy again ( to a degree at least)

AM9

Veteran Member
The automated merge is an infernal menace, and I wish it was scrapped. All too often, it merges two totally unrelated posts, just because nobody has posted anything in that thread since my previous post , e,g. in "Now Playing" in the General Discussions.
I agree with that. Since the board software was changed we now have two different modes of replying, via 'toggle BB code button. To avoid having a single block of answer text as a reply to a many aspect post leaving the reader to have to look through both blocks of text more than once, it is necessary to keep switching between the two modes if any textual enhancement is needed, (e.g. bold/underline/italics) and the quote and insert facilities only work properly on one mode. Despite the mods asking for new threads when a reply goes slightly off topic, the merge message seems to have a problem with separate replies to diferent points raised by separate members gobbling up board resources. The result is many messages that are routinely ignored wasting the board's 'precious' resources.

Outside of the name they are very different shows / formats. I don't make a habit of watching them but I know plenty of UK fans of the Australian version who wouldn't go near Torode & Wallace's efforts.
Ah, now there's a mention of an irritating individual, Greg Wallace. He shouts every time he opens his mouth, - maybe he just can't shake off his old job as a barrow boy. Evenn when He and John Torode are supposedly discussing contestants' performance, he shouts to somebody about 6 feet away. Torode is the real star of the show and apart from being a bit grumpy in the early days, he now seems a lot happier with his new partner (Lisa Faulkner). He has actually proven himself in his London restaurants and it shows.

Last edited:

gg1

Established Member
I always assumed it was named to reference the 90s film Strictly Ballroom (along with the old TV programme Come Dancing). The film was credited with helping make ballroom dancing trendy again ( to a degree at least)
Must have completely passed my by, I was in my teens when that was released but don't remember the film at all.

Having just Googled it, I'm quite pleased it did pass me by :lol:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Can we just ban that programme? Not only is it dull-as-ditchwater, the title makes no sense. What's so strict about it? Are BBC stormtroopers going to knock on my door and demand that I come dancing?

Edit- beaten to it above!

nlogax

Established Member
Ah, now there's a mention of an irritating individual, Greg Wallace. He shouts every time he opens his mouth, - maybe he just can't shake off his old job as a barrow boy. Evenn when He and John Torode are supposedly discussing contestants' performance, he shouts to somebody about 6 feet away. Torode is the real star of the show and apart from being a bit grumpy in the early days, he now seems a lot happier with his new partner (Lisa Faulkner). He has actually proven himself in his London restaurants and it shows.

Wallace is a good reason to ban the entirety of TV just in case he emerges on another channel / show and does yet another barrow-boy routine presenting on how paperclips are made or expressing amazement at how bricks work. Harry Enfield's impersonations of him were always spot on. I'm with you on Torode although I'd ban him eating with his mouth open. Between that and Wallace generally existing I can't stomach Masterchef at all.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Yes, but do we really need to see all the spin off programs in the UK?

You don't HAVE to watch them. I only watch the original and professionals myself but others prefer some of the other variants.

Other television programmes are available. :)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
This definitely deserves a ban:

Me, for having a sneaky beer at Mirfield while I wait for my train home, instead of being ready to capture the double-headed* 60s on 6M09 !

Stupid thing is, I'd checked RTT but didn't refresh- and I'd already had the "false positive" of the preceding Grand Central service trying to play tunes on the horn. The 60s were 5 early!

*=both locos appeared to be running, not sure if both were providing traction.

Last edited:

py_megapixel

Established Member
I would like to ban organisations that are funded publicly from spending ridiculous amounts of money on things and then refusing to say how much because of "commercial confidentiality". The BBC have just pulled one of these with their logo redesign, which appears to involve making the letters inside the "blocks" slightly smaller and spacing them out a bit more.

How much did this cost? I suspect the answer is "far too much".

Bevan Price

Established Member
Can we just ban that programme? Not only is it dull-as-ditchwater, the title makes no sense. What's so strict about it? Are BBC stormtroopers going to knock on my door and demand that I come dancing?

Edit- beaten to it above!
I recall from when I was little, there was something called "strict time dance music", which involved very precise sticking to constant tempo & time signature. Although well-performed, the music could hardly be described as original or exciting, e.g. this by the Victor Sylvester Orchestra:

As the world's worst dancer, I try to find something more interesting to watch. What annoys me most is the widespread misuse of the word "celebrity" to describe (mostly) minor nonentities of whom I have never heard, and with a bare minimum of talent.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
What annoys me most is the widespread misuse of the word "celebrity" to describe (mostly) minor non entities of whom I have never heard, and with a bare minimum of talent.
Quite! Who are most of these so-called celebrities? Broad public recognition? Never heard of most of them!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Quite! Who are most of these so-called celebrities? Broad public recognition? Never heard of most of them!

Likewise. I have no interest in such nonsense.

On the subject of things like Masterchef, I do like it now and again just to see what culinary delights people come up with. The vast majority of it I have no interest in trying myself, but if it helps inspire people to try cooking their own meals rather than relying on ready meals/takeaways/other easy food, then why not.

I see Channel 4 have got a new programme coming up called Britain's Best Woodworker. I've seen the trailer for it a couple of times today, and some of the work they've shown does look good. I'm not handy with things like that, I just don't have the patience to delicately carve masterpieces, let glue set on a particular project or whatever, but there's clearly some talented people on there. A programme like that will no doubt inspire plenty of people to try something new, and that can't be a bad thing.

Don't start me off on the silliness of things like Come Dine With Me or Four In A Bed though!

nlogax

Established Member
Don't start me off on the silliness of things like Come Dine With Me or Four In A Bed though!

Aww..sure we can't tempt you? :lol:

They are enlightening shows if nothing else. A reminder that people can be incredibly petty / pedantic and small-minded especially when in front of a tv camera. Come Dine With Me is unbearable viewing now, suffering from the standard reality tv arc that ends with contestants playing up for the audience instead of trying to win something (see also, The Apprentice). Four In A Bed is still ok to an extent..these people have businesses that they need to advertise on a national tv channel and winning is still an essential part. Hotel and b&b owners obviously make for the worst guests though.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Aww..sure we can't tempt you? :lol:

They are enlightening shows if nothing else. A reminder that people can be incredibly petty / pedantic and small-minded especially when in front of a tv camera. Come Dine With Me is unbearable viewing now, suffering from the standard reality tv arc that ends with contestants playing up for the audience instead of trying to win something (see also, The Apprentice). Four In A Bed is still ok to an extent..these people have businesses that they need to advertise on a national tv channel and winning is still an essential part. Hotel and b&b owners obviously make for the worst guests though.

I might be tempted, I have irritances with family to blow off after all...Maybe later, right now I'm a little too annoyed to not go on a big rant!

For now, I'll put this here for the list:

Family. Ugh, why can't they just mind their own business?!

Agreed thoroughly that Come Dine With Me is too full of people trying to show off though, it pops up when I put my TV to watch something on Channel 4 sometimes and it's just embarrassing.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
''Good morning! Or is it afternoon?!'' followed by much exaggerated watch-checking, even though it's probably 2 p.m. Always the same people, none of whom I'd call more than slight acquaintances, best avoided if at all possible. Can be male or female: if I see them first, I might nod or mumble ''hello'', so no need to reference the time of day.

It could well be the same people, joined by a lot of others, especially on radio or TV, who parrot ''other brands are available'' any time a commercial name is mentioned. It's long past the time when the remark was even vaguely amusing in most circumstances. A sure sign of the witless.

birchesgreen

Established Member
These adverts trying to get people to keep worrying about their credit scores. Do people really need to know it (unless they are going to make a big purchase on credit?)