• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Those little cracks you get in the skin around your nails when the weather gets cold. Really painful but they don’t look like anything.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Drinks with sparkly bits of gold in them - really?
Was that a response to Amazon charging over £2 for a can of Ginger Pepsi Max in another thread? Perhaps if it did contain gold it would be worth it...

It's nice, but I'm a Yorkshireman and if I were to spend that much on pop I'd have my citizenship revoked!

BanburyBlue

Was that a response to Amazon charging over £2 for a can of Ginger Pepsi Max in another thread? Perhaps if it did contain gold it would be worth it...

It's nice, but I'm a Yorkshireman and if I were to spend that much on pop I'd have my citizenship revoked!
Hi, just happened to be in a shop (may have been M&S) and I noticed they sell vodka with gold flakes in. What‘s that about?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Hi, just happened to be in a shop (may have been M&S) and I noticed they sell vodka with gold flakes in. What‘s that about?
Hmmm...
A fool and his/her money are easily parted, I suppose. If you're the sort of idiot that thinks silver will help fight the Lager Lurgy, maybe the thinking is "if silver helps, then gold will obviously be even better" ;)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Had thought that 'Gold Flake' was a some time tobacco brand, but yes, seems that Smirnoff are producing vodka with gold flakes in it, and M&S a similar gin liqueur. As to why, apparently there was once a theory that the gold flakes meant that the alcohol content could get into the bloodstream quicker (i.e. you'd get pi$$ed faster), but it now just seems like a money's no object marketing ploy to me.

BanburyBlue

Had thought that 'Gold Flake' was a some time tobacco brand, but yes, seems that Smirnoff are producing vodka with gold flakes in it, and M&S a similar gin liqueur. As to why, apparently there was once a theory that the gold flakes meant that the alcohol content could get into the bloodstream quicker (i.e. you'd get pi$$ed faster), but it now just seems like a money's no object marketing ploy to me.

And sparkly poo to boot.

PeterY

Established Member
Those little cracks you get in the skin around your nails when the weather gets cold. Really painful but they don’t look like anything.
I get them as well, especially on my thumbs. They can be very painful. :(

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I get them as well, especially on my thumbs. They can be very painful. :(

They drive me up the wall Peter. I’m a painter and decorator and if I get them on my thumbs I’m constantly knocking them on things.
The best thing I’ve found is to wrap them in insulation tape. It works surprisingly well…

PeterY

Established Member
They drive me up the wall Peter. I’m a painter and decorator and if I get them on my thumbs I’m constantly knocking them on things.
The best thing I’ve found is to wrap them in insulation tape. It works surprisingly well…
I'm a gardener, so I get them mostly early spring and autumn.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm a gardener, so I get them mostly early spring and autumn.

I feel your pain (even though it doesn’t look like it should hurt so much)!
Give the insulation tape a go. I’ve tried everything over the years (I think I even started a thread on here about it), it’s the only thing I’ve found that actually works.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Software companies who don't publish the latest version on their website, so you install it and then as soon as you open it, it does an automated upgrade.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Another thing I would like to ban is what passes off as "wrestling" in the USA.

I saw a bit of some USA "wrestling" on ITV (AEW) the other week when I was at my partner's, and there was various brawling going on with some guys entering the ring after the match ended. Also, there was the use of tables and chairs with participants being thrown on them, and also wrestling outside the ring.

There was none of this nonsense in the days of Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks, hence how proper British wrestling should be brought back to the small screen and get rid of this USA style nonsense.

DelW

Established Member
Staying on the automotive theme, ludicrously over-styled alloy wheels that are impossible to clean. My 2012 Focus had (as standard on that particular trim level) 20-spoke wheels, which took as long to clean properly as did the rest of the car. Other manufacturers have come up with even worse since.

On its replacement, I specified a 5-spoke option, which is rather better, though it still suffers from the next problem.

Visible but inaccessible surfaces of wheels should be painted charcoal grey, not silver, as you can never reach them properly to clean off the brake dust.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I would ban audience participation at concerts. I'm paying the artist to entertain me, I can sing along on my own time.

PeterY

Established Member
I would ban audience participation at concerts. I'm paying the artist to entertain me, I can sing along on my own time.
If I started singing at a concert I'll probably get chucked out. I can't sing to save my life :D

On Moderation
Much of the time I'd agree, but when done well it can be very good...

duncanp

Established Member

People who clap just as the band or the singer starts to play the song.

No, you clap at the end of the song to show your appreciation, just let me listen to the song will you. <( <(

gg1

Established Member
Sticking to the alloy wheels theme, car manufacturers who insist on fitting progressively larger wheels and lower profile tyres to higher spec vehicles within the range of a given model, which nowadays is most of them.