• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

py_megapixel

Established Member
Apologies if I've said this before, but hand dryers on trains. They don't work and are an excuse not to provide paper towels.
I would ban paper towels. They're a waste of paper and people invariably get them soggy and make a disgusting mess with them, or use them to block toilets. And if you have large hands you have to use several to adequately dry them.

I find something particularly repulsive about wet tissue paper compared to other forms of litter. Not sure if that's just me though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I would ban paper towels. They're a waste of paper and people invariably get them soggy and make a disgusting mess with them, or use them to block toilets. And if you have large hands you have to use several to adequately dry them.

I find something particularly repulsive about wet tissue paper compared to other forms of litter. Not sure if that's just me though.

They are a bit manky when not placed in the bin, I agree, but less manky than having to dry ones hands on one's jumper !

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Reckon it's just you. There's far worse things. Dog mess bags which are starting to split. Used disposal nappies and/or sanitary products. Uncooked BBQ meat and/or other foodstuffs where the "disco rice" have taken hold. Used hypodermic needles. Broken bottles and/or shards from glassware. Used condoms. Rancid milk. Dumped asbestos roofing. And what railway permanent way workers used to refer to as "bangers and mash". :(

py_megapixel

Established Member
Reckon it's just you. There's far worse things. Dog mess bags which are starting to split. Used disposal nappies and/or sanitary products. Uncooked BBQ meat and other foodstuffs where the "disco rice" have taken hold. Used hypodermic needles. Broken bottles and glassware. Used condoms. Rancid milk. And what railway permanent way workers used to refer to as "bangers and mash". :(
OK, not all other forms of litter. I was more thinking that of the sort of careless dropping of everyday rubbish that you might get on trains - crisp packets, newspapers, chewing gum and so on - tissues are the worst.

AM9

Veteran Member
OK, not all other forms of litter. I was more thinking that of the sort of careless dropping of everyday rubbish that you might get on trains - crisp packets, newspapers, chewing gum and so on - tissues are the worst.
It seems that used disposable surgical masks are a new item to that list. That show a special disregard for others.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It seems that used disposable surgical masks are a new item to that list. That show a special disregard for others.

I'd agree there, used face masks left around just annoys me. Certainly makes you want to weep for humanity, if that is the level of genius out there!

Meerkat

Established Member
They are a bit manky when not placed in the bin, I agree, but less manky than having to dry ones hands on one's jumper !
I dread to think what your jumpers are like if they are more manky than a floor covered in soggy paper towels!
Anyway, you shake off most of the water, return to your seat, tap your companion's face with your damp hand and tell them
"what you have to ask yourself is....did he wash his hands?"

MattRat

On Moderation
Most also end up on landfill. Seems we either have to choose between Covid or the environment.....

D821

People booking meetings with me when my Outlook calendar clearly says I'm busy. How difficult is it? Outlook tells you if the other person is busy.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
People booking meetings with me when my Outlook calendar clearly says I'm busy. How difficult is it? Outlook tells you if the other person is busy.

I've never used Outlook's calendar, although it annoys me with birthday reminders before and on the day for a few people I haven't emailed or whatever in years. Why I don't know, and yes I have tried to find an option to turn it off, but it insists on telling me when it's someone's evacuation of a woman's private parts day :rolleyes:

Perhaps others, like me, don't do Outlook's calendar? Whatever happened to the plain and simple Outlook, that didn't try to be many things?

Strat-tastic

Established Member

Office staff (who don't have a formal morning break) scheduling meetings for shop floor staff bang across 10-11am! :{
Sorry, supposed to be light. OK :E<D:D;)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It will say if I'm busy, whether it reveals what I'm booked to do is another setting.
It should say if you're busy, yes - but only if it's set so that others can see your calendar. What happens where I work is most people will send a meeting invite and there's a button on it for "propose alternative time" - it's a lot easier to do that than to go in fully and view the calendars. If it's a multi person meeting, people will do that ( but they can only see the availability if the other person has set it to be shared ) and look for a slot when everyone required is available, but if it's just 2, 3, 4 people it's easier to just fire off the invite and see what happens.

D821

It should say if you're busy, yes - but only if it's set so that others can see your calendar. What happens where I work is most people will send a meeting invite and there's a button on it for "propose alternative time" - it's a lot easier to do that than to go in fully and view the calendars. If it's a multi person meeting, people will do that ( but they can only see the availability if the other person has set it to be shared ) and look for a slot when everyone required is available, but if it's just 2, 3, 4 people it's easier to just fire off the invite and see what happens.
I shall double-check that tomorrow!

AM9

Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure it's always had a calendar function.
Yes, it's part of the reason for it's name and a big selling point, as it ties the calendar directly to e-mails with notifications and invitations to appointments and meetings. What some might call 'plain and simple Outlook' is the view when the calendar function hasn't been used or activated in any way.

On Moderation
I'm pretty sure it's always had a calendar function.
There used to be Outlook Express, which I think morphed into Windows Mail. Despite the name it had little in common with the full Outlook app that was part of the full Office suite.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yes, it's part of the reason for it's name and a big selling point, as it ties the calendar directly to e-mails with notifications and invitations to appointments and meetings. What some might call 'plain and simple Outlook' is the view when the calendar function hasn't been used or activated in any way.

Perhaps that's what I see with Outlook, I simply use it for email as there are no other functions I require from it.

alex397

Established Member
I would ban the anti-social enthusiasts from seeing a bus or train for at least a month so they can learn the error of their ways. Although it might be a bit too cruel, like an addict going cold turkey.

Specifically for the following:
- Those who have a go at the general public for getting in the way of their photos, which ranges from a tut and a head shake to being really abusive.
- Those who get annoyed when ‘normals’ end up coming to the special events and getting in the way
- Those who are really rude to preservationists who have used the wrong shade of colour, used a bit of poetic licence, or (the worst thing of all) painted something in a livery the bus/train never wore in its working life. (Nothing wrong with disagreeing, but it’s the rude verging on abusive comments which get me).
- Those who stand at the front of the bus and talk to the driver while driving, also meaning those pesky passengers who have also dared to travel have to squeeze past them when getting on/off.

Majority of enthusiasts are good decent people, but there is a prominent minority who give the rest of us a bad name.

dgl

Established Member
I would ban the anti-social enthusiasts from seeing a bus or train for at least a month so they can learn the error of their ways. Although it might be a bit too cruel, like an addict going cold turkey.

Specifically for the following:
- Those who have a go at the general public for getting in the way of their photos, which ranges from a tut and a head shake to being really abusive.
- Those who get annoyed when ‘normals’ end up coming to the special events and getting in the way
- Those who are really rude to preservationists who have used the wrong shade of colour, used a bit of poetic licence, or (the worst thing of all) painted something in a livery the bus/train never wore in its working life. (Nothing wrong with disagreeing, but it’s the rude verging on abusive comments which get me).
- Those who stand at the front of the bus and talk to the driver while driving, also meaning those pesky passengers who have also dared to travel have to squeeze past them when getting on/off.

Majority of enthusiasts are good decent people, but there is a prominent minority who give the rest of us a bad name.
Also what about thouse who go to a preserved line and then don't contribute towards it, if you love trains so much maybe chuck a bit of cash their way.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Yes!

Always seems to be people whose personal hygiene could use improvement that do this too. To be honest I feel for the drivers who presumably are told not to upset the veg!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You’re watching something really good and you have this conversation:

Myself: “You look like you’re about to go to sleep?”
Herself: “No no. I’m just getting a bit more comfortable.”
Myself: “Ok but there’s literally only about ten minutes left.”
Herself: “Yep yep I know, it’s really good…”
Myself: “You’re asleep though!?”
Herself: “No, no I’m not.”
Myself: “Your eyes are closed and you’re snoring! If you weren’t asleep then tell me what just happened?”
Herself: “Erm…”

Ha! <D

Gloster

Established Member
You’re watching something really good and you have this conversation:

Myself: “You look like you’re about to go to sleep?”
Herself: “No no. I’m just getting a bit more comfortable.”
Myself: “Ok but there’s literally only about ten minutes left.”
Herself: “Yep yep I know, it’s really good…”
Myself: “You’re asleep though!?”
Herself: “No, no I’m not.”
Myself: “Your eyes are closed and you’re snoring! If you weren’t asleep then tell me what just happened?”
Herself: “Erm…”

Ha! <D
Just say anything (“Well, the goat exploded and then the steamroller turned into a blancmange.”). She has been watching you so she hasn’t noticed what happened either.

Tracked

Established Member
Possibly a slightly niche thing, but seeing as I've had a plague of it recently:

I'd ban people sending screenshots of computer issues, until they've actually looked at the screenshot and checked two things:

1) Will this be useful/relevant in any way? The amount of people I get saying there's an issue with one application, but illustrating this with -sometimes multiple - screenshots of a different one, is rather worrying.

2) Is the solution staring me in the face? Seems to be a recent development, people send a screenshot and say they have a problem, the solution to which is prominent in the screenshot (as an example, I recently had someone query why their system wasn't showing the full data for a certain day, with a screenshot quite clearly - in several places - showing they were looking at a different day; the day they raised it, in fact, which would also explain why the data they were getting was cutting off at the time they raised the error ... )

nw1

Established Member
I inadvertently posted this on another thread, and it's not quite as timely as it was around a week ago, but... taking down Christmas decorations and pretending it's not Christmas as early as Boxing Day or Dec 27th, at the same time as putting up Christmas decorations and starting Christmas ridiculously early on around November 15th (the Monday following Remembrance Sunday seems to be a typical date these days).

Also the radio 'banning' Christmas songs of any description after Boxing Day - again, while at the same time, starting playing them ridiculously early in mid-November.

November 15th is autumn, not Christmas, but December 30th, say, is Christmas. Why do we pretend otherwise, and what's the joy in stopping Christmas early when it's just dull, wet and miserable in late Dec/early Jan anyway?

By contrast, while November is also prone to bad weather, at least you have the autumn leaves so there's less need for decorations/Christmas songs.

alex397

Established Member
Also the radio 'banning' Christmas songs of any description after Boxing Day - again, while at the same time, starting playing them ridiculously early in mid-November.

November 15th is autumn, not Christmas, but December 30th, say, is Christmas. Why do we pretend otherwise, and what's the joy in stopping Christmas early when it's just dull, wet and miserable in late Dec/early Jan anyway?
I agree with this. It always takes me a while to get into Christmas. It annoys me hearing anything about Christmas before December has even started.
Then about a week before the 25th I really start to enjoy the atmosphere. The Christmas music and films (well the select ones that I play), the events in town, the Christmas decorations etc. Then, as soon as the 25th is done - it all stops, no more Christmas music, Christmas events all stopped. It annoys me as I’d like to continue celebrating!
This is why, in the days when it was easy to do so, I like a post-Christmas break abroad to somewhere like Belgium where they still have Christmas markets into the new year!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'd ban excessively early Christmas adverts on television ( or indeed anywhere else ).

There was one on telly earlier this week that was waffling on about Christmas 2022 for goodness sake... :rolleyes: