• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotrail158713

Established Member
Those red road closed ahead signs, especially when "ahead" could mean quite a few roads!
I know what they're really referring to but I always smile when I see a "Road closed - access only" sign. I'm not sure what else roads are used for other than access.

Gloster

Established Member
A variant on one I have mentioned before. People who push their heavily loaded supermarket trolley past several unused Card Only tills to the only functioning Cash & Card one. They then slowly check their purchases through, making a long series of mistakes which require the intervention of a member of staff, before finally paying with a card. They then leave the trolley blocking access to the till while they pack and repack their bags, get confused when the member of staff gently suggests that they could move aside, and have to repack half the stuff again. They then decide that they must buy another shopping bag and have to search through their bags to find their card, and then have to repack everything because they have a new bag. Meanwhile half-a-dozen people, none with more than four items, are queuing to use the till.

dangie

Established Member
Those red road closed ahead signs, especially when "ahead" could mean quite a few roads!
It makes me smile though when motorists totally ignore the sign, thinking that it isn't really closed or it doesn't apply to them, only to have to do a U-turn as the road really was closed.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A variant on one I have mentioned before. People who push their heavily loaded supermarket trolley past several unused Card Only tills to the only functioning Cash & Card one. They then slowly check their purchases through, making a long series of mistakes which require the intervention of a member of staff, before finally paying with a card. They then leave the trolley blocking access to the till while they pack and repack their bags, get confused when the member of staff gently suggests that they could move aside, and have to repack half the stuff again. They then decide that they must buy another shopping bag and have to search through their bags to find their card, and then have to repack everything because they have a new bag. Meanwhile half-a-dozen people, none with more than four items, are queuing to use the till.

Oh I know this sort of thing only too well! Drives staff up the wall!

Silenos

Maybe the newer trains should have more windows that can be opened to reduce topless passengers in heatwaves?
Steady on, chucking topless passengers out of train windows might create obstructions on the track <(

Not things but people who don't read signs properly or at all. I remember being in a cinema once and the fire alarm in the foyer went off but luckily it was a false alarm. I found out it was someone who had went out to go to the toilet, went through the fire exit by accident and then press the alarm to alert that they was trapped!
On a related note, signs saying ‘This door is alarmed’.

I have no interest in the state of a timid door’s mental health. Give it therapy or anxiolytic medication if it’s that nervous, don’t come bleating to me about it.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Supermarket cashiers (a dying breed) who don't push the customer divider plastic signs down towards the end of the conveyor belt, but sit with them beside them as though they have anal retention issues. For the not-so-able like myself, all it does is create unnecessary delays. Oh, and this is specifically Sainsbury-related, the signs that are put at the end of a belt saying 'checkout closing; please find another' when all the others have similar signs or are already closed. This, at two minutes to closing time on a Sunday when announcements are cajoling customers to get a move on and check out.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Apps that refuse to communicate over a slow/intermittent network connection.

It's a remarkably defeatist attitude: "This download will take half an hour when it would ideally take 10 minutes, so I'm not going to bother at all"

jfollows

Established Member
I got to my local Sainsbury's checkout queue a couple of days ago to see that there was someone in front of me having her purchases scanned, and a fairly full trolley abandoned behind her. So I pushed the abandoned trolley out of the way and started loading up my purchases. In due course a lady appeared and said "but I only went to get some bananas" and brandished them at me. I just shrugged and went on with what I was doing. I mean, the only thing I could have said, which wouldn't have helped, would have been to say "and you are some sort of entitled person, how?" or something similar. She ended up following me, as she should have done.

Last edited:

duncanp

Established Member
I'd like to ban the Jet Stream. It's clearly not in the right place, this summer. Whilst I'm at it, I ban all low pressure weather fronts, too. They annoy me.

Last year we had record temperatures in July, and people were worrying about the reservoirs drying up.

This year we had above average rainfall in July.

I would like to ban it from raining when England are playing Australia at cricket and are in a strong position to win the match.

If the fourth test at Old Trafford hadn't been disrupted by rain, then arguably England could have won the match and retaken the Ashes. <( <( <(

Gloster

Established Member
Last year we had record temperatures in July, and people were worrying about the reservoirs drying up.

This year we had above average rainfall in July.

I would like to ban it from raining when England are playing Australia at cricket and are in a strong position to win the match.

If the fourth test at Old Trafford hadn't been disrupted by rain, then arguably England could have won the match and retaken the Ashes. <( <( <(

Virtually never, in other words.

I'd like to ban the Jet Stream. It's clearly not in the right place, this summer. Whilst I'm at it, I ban all low pressure weather fronts, too. They annoy me.
Here in Leyland it's 14 degrees and it's tippling down as it has been doing, on and off, for days. I'm not a climate change sceptic but I'm beginning to see where they are coming from.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Current weather is fine by me. It's "useable weather" as the TV weather forecast presenters quite often say.

Can't ever please everyone though, I suppose.

AM9

Veteran Member
Current weather is fine by me. It's "useable weather" as the TV weather forecast presenters quite often say.

Can't ever please everyone though, I suppose.
Generally the weather in the UK is fine with me, nobody wants the extremes that are probably going to hit us in future. Those aho habitually whinge about the weather will really have something to complain about soon, and the longing for the mundane uncertainty of the past will become a thing.

Silenos

Generally the weather in the UK is fine with me, nobody wants the extremes that are probably going to hit us in future. Those aho habitually whinge about the weather will really have something to complain about soon, and the longing for the mundane uncertainty of the past will become a thing.
Oh I think you’ll still have plenty of uncertainty, it’s just that it will be of the ‘will my house flood or burn down?’ variety.

AM9

Veteran Member
Well the weather had better change pretty damn quick as most of us will probably be dead long before then :(
I'm in my mid '70s and I think even I might be seeing such a rapid change that the climate might become quite difficult here in the UK before I shuffle off this mortal coil. Depressing I know, but too many seem to think the planet will wait patiently until they themselves are ready to change their lifestyle.

dangie

Established Member
Did I miss global warming? If the last few days, past week, past month are anything to go by, I think we’re in for global cooling…..

Did I miss global warming? If the last few days, past week, past month are anything to go by, I think we’re in for global cooling…..
When I was at school in the 1950's we were told that a second ice-age was on the way.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Tell that to the Spanish, the Greeks, the Sicilians, the Arizonians etc etc etc.

dangie

Established Member