• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

pitdiver

Rats make lovely pets, other than them not living very long. Rat owners also tend not to leave a big mess on the pavement, or let their furry friends drool all over random strangers in public.
Ferrets make good pets as well, according to my wife. At one time she had 16 of them. All named.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gg1

Established Member
And there's me, convinced that overweight folk can - in the main - lose weight but tall folk (I'm 6' 6") cannot lose height.
It's a normal part of aging, from middle age onwards you lose a few mm of height per year. When my dad reached his mid 80s he was around 2 inches shorter than he was in his 20s.

75A

Established Member
It's a normal part of aging, from middle age onwards you lose a few mm of height per year. When my dad reached his mid 80s he was around 2 inches shorter than he was in his 20s.
I was 2.03m in my 20's & now I'm 1.98 and 64.

Last edited:

gg1

Established Member
Rats make lovely pets, other than them not living very long. Rat owners also tend not to leave a big mess on the pavement, or let their furry friends drool all over random strangers in public.
Completely agree, if ever any friends mention they're thinking of getting a small pet for their child, I always push the merits of rats. They're more intelligent, playful and affectionate than hamsters, gerbils, chinchillas etc.

I was 2.03m in my 20'2 & now I'm 1.98 and 64.
Around the same amount my dad had shrunk by 20+ years later. Maybe the rate of decrease is accelerated if you're taller to start off with, my dad's starting height was 5' 11" / 1.80m

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
"On behalf of the driver and myself...."

Of course it's on behalf of yourself if you're saying it!
Can kind of understand the nuance of the phrase, in that it makes reasonably clear that the person making the announcement isn't the driver. And to be fair, it's not really up there compared with some of the other "comedic" gems we've had so far. :s

Lucan

Established Member
Nothing wrong in my opinion with e-scooters. I'm 72 and I'd love one.

The problem is the riders not the scooters, and when I say riders I really mean some riders.
That last sentence sounds just like what American gun-lovers say about guns - I am on some other forums where they always come up with this argument. You could also have said the same about cars before a driving test and licence were required - that did not work well.

Chrysalis

Completely agree, if ever any friends mention they're thinking of getting a small pet for their child, I always push the merits of rats. They're more intelligent, playful and affectionate than hamsters, gerbils, chinchillas etc.
But they also have a short life span which means heartbreak much sooner than if you'd get e.g. a cat.

I'd like to ban Royal Mail delivering parcels inside my bins!

gg1

Established Member
But they also have a short life span which means heartbreak much sooner than if you'd get e.g. a cat.
Although it sounds a little morbid, there is a plus side to that too.

The death of someone they care about is something many children will have to go through, it's better that their first experience of death is that of a pet rather than a much loved grandparent or great grandparent.

Gloster

Established Member
Although it sounds a little morbid, there is a plus side to that too.

The death of someone they care about is something many children will have to go through, it's better that their first experience of death is that of a pet rather than a much loved grandparent or great grandparent.

And it reduces the number of years that the parents are stuck with the pet after the child gets bored, becomes interested in other things or leaves home. Just when they think that they can have a bit of time to spend on their own pleasures, they find themselves stuck with looking after the pet.

Chrysalis

And it reduces the number of years that the parents are stuck with the pet after the child gets bored, becomes interested in other things or leaves home. Just when they think that they can have a bit of time to spend on their own pleasures, they find themselves stuck with looking after the pet.
My partners parents are stuck with a tortoise they had to "adopt" 20 or so years ago. Point taken :D

Sealink

“For me, personally“ well of course is personal you’ve already said “for me”

I think we’ve strayed off comedic issues

Indeed!
And I haven't read the full 215 pages, but I am sure "I am/was literally..." has been mentioned

PeterY

Established Member
"

If you want less taste and thin sauce for for supermarkets Aldi price match version. :D At least you aren't paying Heinz prices!

====================================

Oh and any travel article about a new flight route.

"xxx airline takes off with new service to..."
I'd ban Aldi beans. Absolutely vile.

Peter C

Established Member
I'd ban Instagram sending me pointless notifications telling me to "check out today's most-watched reels [short-form videos]". I barely watch reels as it is, and it amuses me that it's just sent me a notification about the most popular ones for today and it's just gone 9am! :lol:

-Peter

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'd ban Instagram sending me pointless notifications telling me to "check out today's most-watched reels [short-form videos]". I barely watch reels as it is, and it amuses me that it's just sent me a notification about the most popular ones for today and it's just gone 9am! :lol:

-Peter
Fixed that for you! ;)

Statto

Established Member
The term, "Good Service" meaning public transport (particularly trains) are running normally, what happened to just using "Normal Service", as good service is quite ambiguas, the term Good Service seems to have been first started by TFL early 2000s to describe latest Tube running updates.

HarryF

What would I ban?
WHSmith. Overpriced with disinterested staff.
Also, people playing things on trains without headphones. We don’t all want to listen to whatever you’re watching or listening too, it’s incredibly antisocial.

Established Member
Paul Tierney being involved in any form of officiating a football game involving Liverpool.

Established Member
Corrected. Still haven't forgiven or forgotten his woeful showing on the VAR panel for the play-off final in 2022. Never will.

I'll give you that one. He really has to be the most dreadful match official I've ever seen, and that's saying something.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Due to public confusion this year (attached topics), I'd like to ban all orange netting, all yoga classes and all potatoes....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231229_170110_BBC News.jpg
    Screenshot_20231229_170110_BBC News.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20231229_170101_BBC News.jpg
    Screenshot_20231229_170101_BBC News.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20231229_165828_BBC News.jpg
    Screenshot_20231229_165828_BBC News.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 35

dangie

Established Member
Christmas Decorations.
Leaving them up until Twelfth Night was ok back in the day when they didn't go up until a week before Christmas, but as some have been up since the beginning of November take them down now.

Calthrop

Established Member
People in queues -- for... whatever is being queued for... who when there is a gap between them and the person in front of them in the queue: omit to step forward and close the gap up. Being behind (immediately, or by a factor of one or two preceding queu-ers) persons doing this, makes me feel frustrated and angry. Will admit that this is highly irrational on my part: the thing does me absolutely no harm beyond -- if I am the person directly behind the offender -- delaying my finally being served, by the couple of seconds which it takes the bod at last to go forward for them to be served. Nevertheless, it arouses in me resentment toward the "loiterer" -- feeling (unkindly, I confess) that they are at best oblivious; at worst, in a very small way consciously offensive and malicious; to the people in close proximity to them, and sharing their situation.