• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Common to miss out after DMI?

Ladder23

Established Member
Hi all,

With the 'pass' on assessments etc valid for 5 years is it a common occurrence for people to miss out on getting to the DMI stage when they apply on their next opportunity with another toc as recruitment can sometimes not happen again for ever so long?

My worry is I passed my assessments a long time ago now, there was a long wait for the DMI which was recent and I was unsuccessful with.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Milink

5 years is a long time so you should have time to apply elsewhere and be offered a DMI. That also seems to be the most common occurrence when unsuccessful at that stage, many applicants have gone on to be successful with TOCs in their later attempts. Its better to apply to multiple TOCs and not put all your eggs in one basket especially if you have passed all the assessments and may only need to resit the DMI.

Last edited:

Ladder23

Established Member
5 years is a long time so you should have time to apply elsewhere and be offered a DMI. That also seems to be the most common occurrence when unsuccessful at that stage, many applicants have gone on to be successful with TOCs in their later attempts. Its better to apply to multiple TOCs and not put all your eggs in one basket especially if you have passed all the assessments and may only need to resit the DMI.
Hoping so, I'm in a fortunate position where I love my job and I'm by no means desperate to leave so I'm in no rush. Ill use my unsuccessful attempt as a learning curve once the feedback is with me.

Totally agree - there is other tocs I would favour so hoping there will be opportunities arising over the next year!

skyhigh

Established Member
Note it's not necessarily 5 years everywhere. Some TOCs will only accept the pass for 2 or 3 years.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Psychometrics get you access to the entire network (pass dependent) but the DMI is depot specific. The number of people recruited for my depot next year is a tiny drop in the ocean of psychometric passes. I would also be interested to know how many psychometric passes my TOC has, relative to the level of recruitment. Chuck in availability of training courses and the number decreases further.

As to DMI failures... I think we are on around a 60% fail at DMI

Ladder23

Established Member
Note it's not necessarily 5 years everywhere. Some TOCs will only accept the pass for 2 or 3 years.
How can I find this out, there is 3 toc's I'm particularly interested in knowing the time frames for

wantdrivtrain

I am in the same position. I passed psychometric and mmi about 18 months ago and recently failed a dmi with southeastern. I didn’t receive any feedback and haven’t had any correspondence other than a generic email saying that I failed. I am holding out for another opportunity with another company but feel that some feedback would have been handy for future reference.

EZJ

I am in the same position. I passed psychometric and mmi about 18 months ago and recently failed a dmi with southeastern. I didn’t receive any feedback and haven’t had any correspondence other than a generic email saying that I failed. I am holding out for another opportunity with another company but feel that some feedback would have been handy for future reference.
You will need to proactively go after your feedback if you don't none will be offered.

ComUtoR

Established Member
If a DMI was failed that suggests that was the end of the road. You would not fail a DMI and then be placed in a talent pool.

My TOC has 3 "fails"

- Outright No. I would consider this 'end of the road' Typically used when a candidate isn't suitable whatsoever
- Re-Apply in 6 months. Used when a candidate is close; but no cigar. This has happened frequently and also happens when one depot refuses and they get taken on at another depot
- Place in Talent pool. I've always said this option is very much 'don't call us, we'll call you' This is normally where someone may 'pass' but still not get the position. This gets used when there may be limited positions available for a specific recruitment campaign or suitable for the role but may want to consider a different depot.

Hope that clarifies my question.

Milink

My TOC has 3 "fails"

- Outright No. I would consider this 'end of the road' Typically used when a candidate isn't suitable whatsoever
- Re-Apply in 6 months. Used when a candidate is close; but no cigar. This has happened frequently and also happens when one depot refuses and they get taken on at another depot
- Place in Talent pool. I've always said this option is very much 'don't call us, we'll call you' This is normally where someone may 'pass' but still not get the position. This gets used when there may be limited positions available for a specific recruitment campaign or suitable for the role but may want to consider a different depot.

Hope that clarifies my question.
I wouldn’t classify an ‘outright no’ as a particular answer to any stage in the process. You either fail or you don’t then you continue to go through the recruitment process or not depending on the stage.

ComUtoR

Established Member
A 'No' at DMI would be the end of the road for my TOC. I can see where you are going and I'd agree that you would still have options at other TOCs/FOCs

Even double fail at Psychometrics still isn't a total fail as there is the potential for a reset of everyone lives.