• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Commonwealth Games at Birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runningaround

As they don't compete BBC America isn't interested so the BBC cutback on coverage, has anyone noticed how it covers news their far more than what happens nearby?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dosxuk

Established Member
There were definitely lots of extra streams on Virgin for both Rio and Tokyo. It maybe that Tokyo was some form of agreement with Eurosprt/Discovery rather than the BBC.
Eurosport have the rights for the Olympic live feeds, so yes, they provided some of them (6 IIRC) using their normal broadcast capacity to Virgin/Sky. The majority of them were only available through their website.

Even as far back as 2004, there were actually 30+ feeds available to broadcasters, so actually getting access to all of them is yet to happen. The closest was when the EBU had the full rights and put most of them on their website.

317 forever

Established Member
The trams are running between Wolverhampton and Birmingham today if that is of any use, although they will be terminating at Bull Street until 15:00 due to the marathon.
They were quite a bit later than that in being extended back beyond Bull Street. I was at West Bromwich around 15.45 and there was no indication of the curtailment being lifted.

Mind you, judging by the crowds in Victoria Square earlier it was probably a wise safety move to keep the trams away for longer.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They were quite a bit later than that in being extended back beyond Bull Street. I was at West Bromwich around 15.45 and there was no indication of the curtailment being lifted.

Mind you, judging by the crowds in Victoria Square earlier it was probably a wise safety move to keep the trams away for longer.
Indeed - I think the first trams started running through at around 16:30 in the end, I'd just got to my destination when the announcement changed to say they were running through but to allow extra time due to tram/driver displacement (presumably none were 'stuck' down at Edgbaston during the block so it took a bit of time to regulate the service all the way through)

Status
Not open for further replies.