• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Communication to drivers should be improved

Status
Not open for further replies.

wobman

On Moderation
Not just yours, my toc refuse point blank to provide drivers with mobile phones. We're often the last of any grade to find information out but the company are only too happy to shift the blame entirely onto the driver if they miss something.
We have the same issues as you, I'm glad it's not just 1 toc that works this way.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

If this is in relation to Salisbury, and the contribution of the RHTT not running, you can almost be certain that there will be a recommendation that drivers are made aware of this so that they can drive to the anticipated conditions.

I was sure this was communicated to drivers already, but I'm probably wrong in that regard.

Most communication goes on between control and drivers book on points, if it isn't something that results in the need for an immediate caution (which would be applied by the signaller). There is evidently a gap there where urgent but not necessarily emergency or immediate info needs to be communicated. Never been keen on tablets or phones due to their potentially distracting nature for drivers. I know that they likely wouldn't be accepted at ScotRail for example.

There was many a situation at ScotRail where messages would be passed on via station staff from control, and drivers would completely disregard them.

As drivers we've had tablets in ScotRail since 2015 and are on the 2nd version of them. We get WONS, PONS, Safety briefs, Rule book, Sectional Appendix, emails, traction manuals and route maps on them. We don't get late notices sent to us though, that's still done via the Late Notice Case at booking on points.

Status
Not open for further replies.