• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Commuting Redland to London, any cheaper season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

higthomas

I have a friend who'll be commuting from Redland (Bristol) to London zones 1-6 over the summer. I am aware this sounds crazy, but it's what he wants to do.

Is there any way to get a season cheaper than the £2,030.30 for a straight Redland-London zones 1-6 season ticket for the period 3 July to 25th August?

I was surprised splitting at Didcot didn't seem to get it down much.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
Haha, I told him so, but his girlfriend lives there... :P

If this job opportunity is truly worth it then they should find a way to make it work. A good work placement can set up a career for life, opportunities aren't exactly ten-a-penny in the competitive climate.

It sounds like a knackering commute, does the job even cover the cost of it as well as living expenses? I rented a room a couple of summers ago at Brunel University so I could work at Uxbridge Bus Garage. It was £161 a week which was very expensive/a third of net income, but pretty much hassle free in terms of admin, comfortable, safe, convenient plus there was enough space for two in the room.

I presume from the nature of the job he is a student, perhaps he could rent a room at a university and she could consider joining him - or he could stay during the week and return at weekends? As for the ticket price, I'll see what I can find and send a PM by Saturday evening if I find anything good. I commuted from Canterbury to London in the past for similar reasons and had my own cost saving strategies on the HS1 services so can understand where he's coming from.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Haha, I told him so, but his girlfriend lives there... :P

Advice: He really needs to consider what effect such a long commute may have on their relationship. They'd risk spending no meaningful time together at all Monday-Friday, especially as he'd be knackered after only a week...

And such a hefty season is going to consume *alot* of their combined income.

Last edited:

RJ

Established Member
I couldn't come up with anything I'm afraid. It's around £342.30 a week for the Travelcard with a small discount for a period of 1 month 23 days.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
I was going to ask if they need the Travelcard element but it's 'only' £107 more than a rail-only season to London, so unless they're going to cycle or walk in London to wherever they're going then it's worthwhile.

I suspect a decent Thermos for tea or coffee on the train might pay for itself though!

Status
Not open for further replies.