• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Companies That You Expect to Disappear Soon

SteveP29

My partners ex husband was spending £300+ a month on costa coffee as a status thing as he couldn’t possibly walk into work without a costa coffee cup in his hand whilst not paying their Essential bills!

A fool and his money.....
As the saying goes.
Unless he's shacked up with someone else now, I dare bet that habit has been broken

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Pizza Hut are now closing 29 of their restaurants. I doubt they will disappear - they are streamlining their business like many others.

SteveM70

Established Member
Been years since ive dined ina Pizza Hut restuarant . Not so many about now.

Teenagers on first dates, kids’ birthday parties, and people gorging on the all you can eat buffet. Does anyone go for any other reason? :lol:

xotGD

Established Member
Teenagers on first dates, kids’ birthday parties, and people gorging on the all you can eat buffet. Does anyone go for any other reason? :lol:
Quality pizza?

Perhaps not.

Sadly 450 jobs are going as a result of the closures. .

Jamesrob637

Established Member

I had a date at a Pizza Hut when I was young and supposedly innocent :D she was none too impressed
! However I seem to recall it did last a while.

Burger King is an interesting one. Will the remaining Wimpy make it through?!

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Me, my sister and my Mum had a takeaway from Pizza Hut earlier. Best value meal we could all enjoy in the car that would also suit two vegetarians

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I had a date at a Pizza Hut when I was young and supposedly innocent :D she was none too impressed

I haven't seen a Wimpy for years. I didn't know they were still going.

david1212

Established Member
Greggs are another business that has branched out massively in recent years and they too could suffer the same fate as Costa Coffee.

CJ
I doubt it a substancial amount of Greggs customer base certainly where I live is white van man so I think they will be fine, and they seemed to have expended a fair bit in the past few I suspect at expense of a number of Independent Cafe's and Sandwich Shops, their prices are quite reasonable on some things like a Bacon Roll or Pasty + Drink, except at the motorway ones where they jack up the price, but your still likely to get a Bacon Roll and a Coffee for the price of a Costa Coffee well before the virus at least I haven't been in since as yet.

Local to me perhaps three years ago, maybe longer, Greggs opened two ' high street ' outlets. Soon after a long eastablished independent near to each closed.

gswindale

Remaining Wimpy? They're supposed to be expanding with at least one new site due to open reasonably soon in Bracknell I believe

Local to me perhaps three years ago, maybe longer, Greggs opened two ' high street ' outlets. Soon after a long eastablished independent near to each closed.
Yes and a problem really in that we are being increasingly taken over by chain shops in many area's as well as Amazon dominating everything online.

In my local town their are two independent sandwich shops which do way better sandwiches than Greggs so I go to them for sandwiches, but of course Independents are an unknown quantity until you try them some good some not, where as with such as Greggs etc. they are at least a known quantity if your in an unfamiliar area.

As well as the independents pre covid at least I suspect Mcdee's were being hammered to some degree at Breakfast by rise of the Greggs cheap Bacon or Sausage Roll and a drink, post covid may be more of an advantage to Mcdee's since you can go to the drive through and not have to go in.

DorkingMain

I have to say I am rather unfazed by "chains vs independents" arguments.

People aren't going to pay twice as much to get the same thing as they get in a chain, at the end of the day, and it's unfair to expect people to pay a premium just because it's a struggling small business. The entire structure of a capitalist system is built on efficiency, and we can't just abandon that idea and assign a premium to independent traders just on that basis.

A lot of independents can and will survive against pressure from chains. But they have to do something different, better or more exciting than a chain does. A chain is reliability and efficiency, and people like that. We can't artificially preserve things that don't deserve to be preserved.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
As well as the independents pre covid at least I suspect Mcdee's were being hammered to some degree at Breakfast by rise of the Greggs cheap Bacon or Sausage Roll and a drink, post covid may be more of an advantage to Mcdee's since you can go to the drive through and not have to go in.

This is likely to be a concern in the medium term, but once a vaccine is deployed and measures are removed, I expect customer service will make a comeback. Being able to go in a store, talk to a friendly human face, and so on, will be something a lot of people will want after months (or maybe even years) of isolation and masks. There's often a see-saw effect with these sorts of things, people's priorities are likely to shift towards the personal and the real, because they get sick of distanced and online. It also gives me hope for the likes of Debenhams, if they can weather the immediate storm of the virus.

DB

People aren't going to pay twice as much to get the same thing as they get in a chain, at the end of the day, and it's unfair to expect people to pay a premium just because it's a struggling small business. The entire structure of a capitalist system is built on efficiency, and we can't just abandon that idea and assign a premium to independent traders just on that basis.

A lot of independents can and will survive against pressure from chains. But they have to do something different, better or more exciting than a chain does. A chain is reliability and efficiency, and people like that. We can't artificially preserve things that don't deserve to be preserved.

The point is that it's not a level playing field, as large companies have all sorts of advantages - supply chains, marketing departments, etc - which are beyond what an independant can do.

You can argue that but potentially its difficult for an independent to compete against an established name with a bulk purchase cost base.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I had assumed Wimpy had gone ages ago but when i went to Surrey a couple of years ago was surprised at the number of Wimpys still around. The twitter account of the Addlestone Wimpy manager is legendary.

SteveM70

Established Member
There used to be a Wimpy (takeaway only) next to the Barley Mow at Milford Common on the edge of Cannock Chase. When I was at school we used to do a lot of cross country training at Cannock and a Wimpy afterwards was the highlight of the day. According to Google maps, amazingly it’s still there 35 years later

wireforever

The Premier League after the media interview Richard Masters the Chief Ex gave.Clubs are losing £700+ million with no fans attending what part of global pandemic does he not understand.If Newcastle Utd take legal action it may open a can of worms,TV deals restrictive practices a cartel between certain clubs ,covid doesn't appear to have effected the transfer market recently .

Trackman

Established Member
There is also the collapsed deal with China which has cost the premier league over 500 million.
It was a deal, The Premier league pulled the plug as the Chinese broadcasters didn't pay an instalment or something plus mutterings about Hong Kong.

Wimpy- The one on Lewisham high street opposite the 'spoons closed a couple of years ago.
Never went in, it looked so grotty inside. Plus memories about 50 years ago being treated to lunch (or dinner up north) and being violently sick after a burger and chips or whatever. It's funny how the mind makes a mental note of those things 'not good for you' / 'stay away' /'exercise extreme caution'

DB

My heart goes out to Wayne Rooney - he might have to have a pay cut in his multi million pound wages.

I have no interest at all in football, and it's hard to feel much sympathy with any of the premier league, but those in lower leagues are no doubt going to be in an increasingly difficult position.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
My heart goes out to Wayne Rooney - he might have to have a pay cut in his multi million pound wages.

I don't feel any sympathy for him.

I do feel for the many staff at these clubs who are paid more ordinary wages though - Arsenal laid off quite a lot of staff a few weeks back and no doubt that will take place at other clubs.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
There is also the collapsed deal with China which has cost the premier league over 500 million.
Good, the prem has waaaaaaaaaay too much money in it.
Arsenal laid off quite a lot of staff a few weeks back
I would've laid off that leech ozil in a heartbeat. Wanted his money whilst the backroom staff were looking like they'd have to visit the job center shortly. I also would've had a bad reference to give to future clubs for him.

route101

Established Member
There used to be a Wimpy (takeaway only) next to the Barley Mow at Milford Common on the edge of Cannock Chase. When I was at school we used to do a lot of cross country training at Cannock and a Wimpy afterwards was the highlight of the day. According to Google maps, amazingly it’s still there 35 years later

Only Wimpys i have seen are sit in plated burger stuff. The one in Southend was like that. Sort of British greasy spoon crossed with american diner.

Sainsburys store in town centre is closing near to me. Dont think Sainsburys will disapear but i do find them a bit stale.