• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Companies That You Expect to Disappear Soon

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Not sure if you've noticed the trend over, say, the last 10-15 years, of people going to other people's homes to drink? Rather than going out and get fleeced for £7-8 a pint. Likewise, 'pre-loading' refers to people meeting up and having a few drinks before going out, again to save money.

As students, we wouldn't buy anything much out, but we'd still go out regardless with the "pre-loaded" alcohol in our systems.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
Not sure if you've noticed the trend over, say, the last 10-15 years, of people going to other people's homes to drink? Rather than going out and get fleeced for £7-8 a pint. Likewise, 'pre-loading' refers to people meeting up and having a few drinks before going out, again to save money.

My kids all do that with their mates. Its known as "going for prinks" (pre-drinks I presume)

SteveM70

Established Member
We're getting into "Things you would ban" territory here, but in my benign dictatorship use of words like "prinks" would be an automatic failure of a sobriety test!

I can't say I'm entirely comfortable with it myself, but as the person who (indirectly) funds their social lives its a price worth paying :lol:

Where I live in Lancashire I usually pay between £3 and £4 a pint except in Spoons where it's under £3 and if you have a Camera voucher under £2. I do pay above £4 in posher eating pubs though. I suppose it depends on which part of the country you live in.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Where I live in Lancashire I usually pay between £3 and £4 a pint except in Spoons where it's under £3 and if you have a Camera voucher under £2. I do pay above £4 in posher eating pubs though. I suppose it depends on which part of the country you live in.

Clearly. Highest I've paid (in a restaurant, north of London) is £8!

I bet bars and clubs in Soho at night are charging the same or more for a 275ml or 330ml bottle of lager.

For most people it's simply too expensive to go out on the p*** anymore.

I remember Wetherspoons doing pints (albeit Fosters) for £1.99 and that was in London zone 1.

trebor79

Established Member

I bet bars and clubs in Soho at night are charging the same or more for a 275ml or 330ml bottle of lager.

I remember Wetherspoons doing pints (albeit Fosters) for £1.99 and that was in London zone 1.
I paid £5.70 at the Ship and Shovell last week, which I thought was quite cheap for central London. Really confused the barman by paying with cash too!
I sometimes meet my brother at The Lord Tredegar in Mile End and it's about 7 quid there.

Edit: not Fosters though, I haven't been able to drink that muck since my teens!

E27007

Real ale can only be drunk in pubs and clubs though. Drinking your

Real ale can only be drunk in pubs and clubs though. Drinking your 3 bottles of Aldi beer at home implies you were drinking alone with only yourself to talk to.
That is a scurrilous allegation, when I am at home alone drinking Aldi beer, I do not talk to myself , I argue!

Jimini

Established Member
Sounds like we need a separate thread for price comparisons of booze (says Jim sitting in the Farringdon ‘Spoons supping a £6.13 pint of Stella).

SteveM70

Established Member

The 27th floor bar at the Hilton on Park Lane was £9 a bottle for Budweiser in 2009. (I was at a work thing, it wasn’t my money!)

My local is £3.60 - £4.40 range

jon0844

Veteran Member
The 27th floor bar at the Hilton on Park Lane was £9 a bottle for Budweiser in 2009. (I was at a work thing, it wasn’t my money!)

My local is £3.60 - £4.40 range

I too have only been there when at an awards ceremony after-party, so never had to pay.. but that price doesn't surprise me much.

But, I agree with the above poster that said maybe we need a separate beer price thread (or maybe should just give up and get drunk, if we can afford to....!)

Jimini

Established Member
I too have only been there when at an awards ceremony after-party, so never had to pay.. but that price doesn't surprise me much.

But, I agree with the above poster that said maybe we need a separate beer price thread (or maybe should just give up and get drunk, if we can afford to....!)

It is an amazing venue to be fair. The Galvin at Windows restaurant on the west side of that floor has some of the best food / service I’ve had as well.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Its typically £6-£7 pint in central London pubs now, £7-£8 for premium lagers. And the pubs are rammed, especially on Thursdays, but even Monday lunchtimes in tourist areas.

Whilst many people screw their nose up at the mere thought of an £8 pint, that is pretty cheap by many world city comparisons, eg New York is in the region of $10 plus tip of at least 15%, and it won’t be a proper pint!

jfollows

Established Member
I remember my first 50p pint, in London in 1980.
So what …. well, if the price followed CPI inflation it would now cost £2, whereas in fact it’s 3x this.

DelW

Established Member
It's not my favourite beer, but my local 'spoons is currently selling Greene King "Ruddles" Best at £1.79 a pint, about 35 miles from the centre of London.

(They don't seem to have any festival beers on yet, but the next nearest to me is selling festival beers at £2.85).

dangie

Established Member
Whilst many people screw their nose up at the mere thought of an £8 pint, that is pretty cheap by many world city comparisons, eg New York is in the region of $10 plus tip of at least 15%, and it won’t be a proper pint!
A couple of years ago in Voss Norway, in the hotel bar a 500ml bottle of Erdinger Weissbier worked out at about £14 a bottle. The week we were in Norway was the ‘driest’ of my drinking life :frown:

jon81uk

Why?

3 bottles from Aldi gives me, my Father in law and Brother in Law a bottle each. Have a drink whilst having a chat in the evening whilst the little one is playing with his lego or something.

I was really shocked at the weekend when it cost me £15 for 2 pints and a glass of Wine at our local. Should have been able to get 6 pints for that price!

Two pints and a glass of wine for £15 is a bargain! I've paid close to £15 just for the pints recently.

LancasterRed

Be More Geek enter liquidation. One of the few shops that actually tried with its Funko Pop selection, bad as they generally are

Be More Geek has shut branches in Middlesbrough, Washington in Sunderland and at Manchester's Arndale Centre.

The company was founded by James Gee in 2018 and had six stores based across the North East and Manchester.
MenKind in trouble?

GAME also having to go through a restructuring I believe.

Not great for the big kids among us!

dgl

Established Member
Though interestingly there seem to be a few independent merchandise/figurine/card game shops springing up so there must be demand, Weymouth has two such shops that seem stocked well enough.

DC1989

I feel like pre drinks have always happened, the issue is now that the clubs that youngsters went to after the pre drinks are closing

It seems a perfect storm of the growing 'new puritanism' in the country, high prices, high housing costs, high rents for the venues themselves, ever more and more restrictive licensing from councils. Frankly I see it getting a lot worse.

Ted Baker in administration - doesn't seem to have been mentioned by anyone and they have been struggling for a few years. It's a shame because I quite like their stuff !

trebor79

Established Member
Yeah Ted Baker clothes are decent quality I find. Not sure what will fill that void, it's a shame.

LancasterRed

Though interestingly there seem to be a few independent merchandise/figurine/card game shops springing up so there must be demand, Weymouth has two such shops that seem stocked well enough.
I have never seen anyone buy anything from Razzmatazz. I don't think I've ever even seen anyone else in there! I don't get its market, all generic merch that would make up the tat sections in HMV and MenKind if Weymouth had them.

Nostalgia Unlimited is a gem of a shop, just a bit hard to get around. Boss is doing alright but is pretty overpriced.

Sadly now on this list: The British Youth Council, who after over 75 years have tonight declared insolvency and will close in the coming weeks.

They have been affected by The Body Shop’s administration, with them having sponsored BYC’s long running Votes at 16 campaign.

They have since 2011 have had the contract for the UK Youth Parliament and the House of Commons Youth Select Committee.

What a dagger to Youth Participation in our nation and to the charitable sector.

The British Youth Council is sad to announce its permanent closure after more than 75 years of championing the voices of young people.

Speaking on behalf of the charity and the Board of Trustees, Zara Khan, Chair of the British Youth Council said: “It is with great sadness that we announce the permanent closure of the British Youth Council as ongoing financial challenges have resulted in insolvency.

“We know this news will come as a shock to young people across the country, generations of people who have been part of the youth voice movement, our supporters and many of our partners.

“Despite our best efforts, we have been unable to provide a sustainable future for the charity. The economic environment has significantly impacted our ability to generate income. This was further cemented by the recent administration of our dedicated and passionate partners The Body Shop.