• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Compartment Coaches on Heritage Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

rail_fan

I used to visit Britain rarely as a tourist from overseas before the pandemic, and at that time I visited the Great Central Railway (GCR) in Loughborough twice. I was really fascinated by the GCR general atmosphere and its steam locomotives/other old rolling stock. Needless to say, during those 2 visits, I took the GCR trains from Loughborough Central to Leicester North and back, alighting at the intermediate stations and exploring them, many times.

One particular thing that I really liked about the GCR was that I travelled in (a) corridor compartment coaches and (b) non-corridor compartment coaches. Since I am not familiar with the proper British railway terminology, I should probably give some explanation. (a) When I'm saying 'a corridor compartment coach', I mean that its layout is a number of compartments (with seats) linked by a side corridor. As far as I understand, one of its typical examples is BR Mk 1 SK. (b) When I'm saying 'a non-corridor compartment coach', I mean that it is essentially a number of compartments (with seats) without a side corridor (i.e., a compartment occupies the entire coach width), and each compartment has its own exit door to the platform. I guess it should be BR Mk1 Suburban but I'm not sure. I really like these coaches because they remind me some scenes from the iconic Poirot and Miss Marple TV series starring David Suchet and Joan Hickson, respectively. :p

When the international travel becomes as usual as it used to be, I'd like to visit some other heritage railways in Britain. Could someone please tell me what heritage railways allow to travel in corridor/non-corridor compartment coaches? Currently I'm planning my future trips and choosing between (but not limited to) the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway, the Bluebell Railway, the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, and the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway. I checked the websites of these railways, and it seems that all of them have such coaches. However, it is not clear how often these coaches are used. I guess it is very likely that open coaches are used, on average, more often on some of these heritage lines but I'd like, if possible, to travel in a compartment coach (if possible).

It would also be very nice if I and one or two my friends could book an entire compartment. Could someone please tell me if it is possible anywhere on heritage railways? It seems that it is more or less common these days because of the COVID-19 and social distancing measures but was it possible in the pre-COVID era?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

North Norfolk Railway is well worth a look, they have a full set of MK1 suburban coaches and a LNER Quad-art set both of which which are non-corridor and very well looked after. They are often in service although it would be worth emailing them in advance to ensure they are out. Last time I went a few months ago you had to book an entire compartment (It was the quad-art set) but I suspect this may have changed or won't be the case next year. Even the standard Mk1 sets they have contain a number of corridor compartment coaches, they also have a nice range of steam and diesel locos.

Veteran Member
KWVR always have one non corridor - the brake van, type BS! - and currently a semi-corridor, type CL (an unusual type).
Bluebell have a Southern Railway set which is mostly side corridor, and a BR Mk1 which ISTR is mainly open (TSO).
Doubt if private reserved compartments will last - unless you pay for 6 or so.
(Edited to explain better.)

PS many other railways in normal times prefer the TSO/BSO type of coach because they make buffet and souvenir sales, and ticket checking, easier, and seat more people than a side corridor coach.

Last edited:

75A

Established Member
Last month I enjoyed a superb ex LNER compartment on the NYMR, really comfortable and I didn't have to wear a mask unlike those in the open coaches.

Taunton

Established Member
One particular thing that I really liked about the GCR was that I travelled in (a) corridor compartment coaches and (b) non-corridor compartment coaches. Since I am not familiar with the proper British railway terminology, I should probably give some explanation. (a) When I'm saying 'a corridor compartment coach', I mean that its layout is a number of compartments (with seats) linked by a side corridor. As far as I understand, one of its typical examples is BR Mk 1 SK. (b) When I'm saying 'a non-corridor compartment coach', I mean that it is essentially a number of compartments (with seats) without a side corridor (i.e., a compartment occupies the entire coach width), and each compartment has its own exit door to the platform.
Здравствуйте :)

You have the expressions correct. They are known as Non-Corridor, and Side-Corridor. The SK you quote is S for second class and K for side corridor, so a first class side corridor is FK. C was already taken for Composite, that is both first and second class compartments in the same coach, so CK. If there isn't a corridor it's plain S. The codes came forward to British Railways from the old LNER. The last Non Corridor coaches were built for some electric units around 1960; they fell out of favour within the lifetime of these vehicles and many were stripped out and rebuilt to the Open style at a heavy overhaul. For the normal style of nowadays it's O for Open, hence SO and FO.

I think many/most of the heritage railways have one or more of all these types in their trains, because those were often what were being sold off by British Railways when they started off. Non Corridor coaches are great if you get a compartment to yourselves, not so much when all the seats are taken, and a considerable inconvenience when there are standing passengers.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Glad that you enjoyed the GCR! When the railway re-opened I was able to book on-line and had a compartment to myself each time. However now that you can turn up and buy a ticket it would not be guaranteed to have a compartment for one or two people. If it is a quiet day there may well be unoccupied compartments though.

Richard Scott

Established Member
When the international travel becomes as usual as it used to be, I'd like to visit some other heritage railways in Britain. Could someone please tell me what heritage railways allow to travel in corridor/non-corridor compartment coaches? Currently I'm planning my future trips and choosing between (but not limited to) the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway, the Bluebell Railway, the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, and the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway. I checked the websites of these railways, and it seems that all of them have such coaches. However, it is not clear how often these coaches are used. I guess it is very likely that open coaches are used, on average, more often on some of these heritage lines but I'd like, if possible, to travel in a compartment coach (if possible).
Corridor coaches on GWSR in regular use. In recent times almost all coaches were of said variety but rakes may have been reformed with relaxation if Covid rules. However there will still be corridor coaches in use of varieties SK, FK, CK, BSK and even a BCK depending on rake. If you contact the railway they may be able to reserve a compartment for you.

Titfield

Established Member
The TSO type carriages are often preferred by heritage railways because they have a higher seating capacity than compartment coaches.

A further issue with compartment coaches is that passengers may be reluctant to enter a compartment if there is already some passengers inside even though there may be seats available.

There is also a potential h and s issue with compartment coaches as passengers have been known to trap fingers in the sliding door mechanisms.

peteb

Severn Valley Railway has plenty of side corridor stock, currently as reservable compartments, but moving to turn up and go from 7th September,still with some reservable compartments. The LNER side corridor stock is interesting, one first class compartment has only 3 seats!! It is a sort of half compartment!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Severn Valley Railway has plenty of side corridor stock, currently as reservable compartments, but moving to turn up and go from 7th September,still with some reservable compartments. The LNER side corridor stock is interesting, one first class compartment has only 3 seats!! It is a sort of half compartment!

Actually their ‘Big Four’ rakes are fantastic aren’t they? The LMS, LNER and GWR (no SR) sets are all very different to each other but they’ve got so much atmosphere, especially if you’re travelling on the line when it’s night time.

peteb

Actually their ‘Big Four’ rakes are fantastic aren’t they? The LMS, LNER and GWR (no SR) sets are all very different to each other but they’ve got so much atmosphere, especially if you’re travelling on the line when it’s night time.
Yes, they also have some BR MK1 stock which is really atmospheric (think Harry Potter) too. In fact side corridor stock as still found in Europe, particularly eastern Europe, is great especially if travelling in a small (eg inter-rail) group.

muddythefish

On Moderation

There's no other heritage railway that offers a ride in such a variety of pre-nationalisation coaching stock. The SVR's Great Western coaches in particular are a delight. My favourites are the Collett "non-descript" saloons from the late 1920s

Taunton

Established Member
One of the most atmospheric days I recall was one winter with light snow, delivering someone at Gatwick airport early on a Saturday morning I went on to the Bluebell just to see what they were doing. Fully running, short pre-grouping non-corridor set, with all the steam heating fully operational, with just the little wisps from the relief valves. Few passengers, compartment to myself. A fox ran away from the lineside as we passed by. Great journey.

paul1609

Established Member
There's no other heritage railway that offers a ride in such a variety of pre-nationalisation coaching stock. The SVR's Great Western coaches in particular are a delight. My favourites are the Collett "non-descript" saloons from the late 1920s
At the Kent & East Sussex Railway we currently have stock from the following pre nationalisation companies:
LC&DR
SE&CR
L & SWR
Southern
Great Eastern
L&NWR
Metropolitan
District Railway
North London Railway
Pullman Car Company.

rail_fan

Thank you all so much for your answers! Now I more or less understand what to expect on different heritage lines regarding compartment coaches.

kje7812

Helped by the strong dislike of the GWR for open stock. The only open stock they built were dining cars, saloons (though one could claim they are just enlarged compartments), and excursion stock (brake 650).
Two are Collett, 9055 is Churchward.

reddragon

Established Member
I used to visit Britain rarely as a tourist from overseas before the pandemic, and at that time I visited the Great Central Railway (GCR) in Loughborough twice. I was really fascinated by the GCR general atmosphere and its steam locomotives/other old rolling stock. Needless to say, during those 2 visits, I took the GCR trains from Loughborough Central to Leicester North and back, alighting at the intermediate stations and exploring them, many times.

One particular thing that I really liked about the GCR was that I travelled in (a) corridor compartment coaches and (b) non-corridor compartment coaches. Since I am not familiar with the proper British railway terminology, I should probably give some explanation. (a) When I'm saying 'a corridor compartment coach', I mean that its layout is a number of compartments (with seats) linked by a side corridor. As far as I understand, one of its typical examples is BR Mk 1 SK. (b) When I'm saying 'a non-corridor compartment coach', I mean that it is essentially a number of compartments (with seats) without a side corridor (i.e., a compartment occupies the entire coach width), and each compartment has its own exit door to the platform. I guess it should be BR Mk1 Suburban but I'm not sure. I really like these coaches because they remind me some scenes from the iconic Poirot and Miss Marple TV series starring David Suchet and Joan Hickson, respectively. :p

It would also be very nice if I and one or two my friends could book an entire compartment. Could someone please tell me if it is possible anywhere on heritage railways? It seems that it is more or less common these days because of the COVID-19 and social distancing measures but was it possible in the pre-COVID era?
The Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway formations are online but are always a mixture of compartment, open, brake and catering coaches in rakes of 7-8 coaches. With a 2 train service you have quite a range of types to travel on including an immaculate first class coach.

muddythefish

On Moderation
At the Kent & East Sussex Railway we currently have stock from the following pre nationalisation companies:
LC&DR
SE&CR
L & SWR
Southern
Great Eastern
L&NWR
Metropolitan
District Railway
North London Railway
Pullman Car Company.

KESR has some lovely pre-grouping coaches but I was referring to the pre-nationalisation stock on the SVR, complete trains of LMS, LNER and GWR (2 sets) some including buffet and restaurant cars

Veteran Member
Many places do have this kind of stock but actually finding it in use is not guaranteed.
Currently the KWVR uses a non-corridor BS (two, if two hauled trains are running); there is a SO(L) which has been tastefully adapted with partitions to run as a full compartment coach (the Lavs aren't in use anyway) and a CL (side corridors in each class but separated), one or both of which have been in service this half-term week, and appear whenever it is reasonably busy.

JKF

Many places do have this kind of stock but actually finding it in use is not guaranteed.
Unless you go to the Isle of Wight!

When I did go there (which was over thirty years ago!) the vintage carriages really did add character.

bramling

Veteran Member

Some heritage railways seem to prefer open carriages, no doubt due to the extra capacity among other issues.

As ever, this comes down to what people expect from heritage railways. With some how charging quite high sums for tickets, it isn’t an entirely unrealistic expectation to be able to have a compartment to one’s self.

Mat17

KWVR also has vintage trains running on Sundays in July-August which are almost all non-corridor stock, dating from the 1880s-1930s eras.

Status
Not open for further replies.