• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Complicated delay repay.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scousemouse

Hi

Was wondering if someone can help guide me towards who or how to claim a delay repay against.

I had an e-ticket with cross country for the 1515 departure from Taunton to Manchester on Monday 27th.

I connected from a train from Highbridge - 2C77 - which got help outside of Taunton for nearly 20 minutes and missed the connection. The problem with this is I don't have a ticket as I was travelling on a pass.

I ended up getting the 1551 next available departure and connected in Birmingham and got into Manchester an hour late.

Cross country say I need to claim from GWR - which is fine however, the online form won't accept the ticket reference number from XC as the reference is not valid (I suppose I could put leading zeroes on it).

However, there is no where on the form to put an explanation and all they will see is a XC ticket for a train that itself ran on time.

The easiest thing would be to claim from XC as they accept their own reference and have a space to put an explanation but they say its not them guv.

Any ideas? It wasnt cheap as it was a FC advance so I'm keen to get the money back.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hi

Was wondering if someone can help guide me towards who or how to claim a delay repay against.

I had an e-ticket with cross country for the 1515 departure from Taunton to Manchester on Monday 27th.

I connected from a train from Highbridge - 2C77 - which got help outside of Taunton for nearly 20 minutes and missed the connection. The problem with this is I don't have a ticket as I was travelling on a pass.

I ended up getting the 1551 next available departure and connected in Birmingham and got into Manchester an hour late.

Cross country say I need to claim from GWR - which is fine however, the online form won't accept the ticket reference number from XC as the reference is not valid (I suppose I could put leading zeroes on it).

However, there is no where on the form to put an explanation and all they will see is a XC ticket for a train that itself ran on time.

The easiest thing would be to claim from XC as they accept their own reference and have a space to put an explanation but they say its not them guv.

Any ideas? It wasnt cheap as it was a FC advance so I'm keen to get the money back.
The train company which is liable for delay compensation is always that which first caused your journey to become delayed. GWR were the TOC that first caused your journey to become delayed, so you must claim from them and not XC.

This is somewhat unfortunate as GWR's delay compensation scheme is a lot less generous than XC's, however you should at least get something - even if not as much as you would have with XC.

If you cannot submit your claim through the normal form, I recommend you either phone them or use their contact form (or email) in order to submit your claim. Make sure up to do so within 28 days of your journey.

Scousemouse

Thanks

I'll email them with screen shots and full info.

I'm guessing they'll try to class it as a SW/Suburban service and only refund 50% instead of an ex GWR high speed and 100%.

<D

I was delayed by 61 minutes since I arrived at 2000 and not 1859

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Thanks

I'll email them with screen shots and full info.

I'm guessing they'll try to class it as a SW/Suburban service and only refund 50% instead of an ex GWR high speed and 100%.

<D

I was delayed by 61 minutes since I arrived at 2000 and not 1859
Unfortunately the NRCoT allow them to do this, as the minimum is indeed 50% for a 60+ minute delay. It's worthwhile asking whether they would consider giving more as a goodwill gesture.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Is Highbridge served by any (ex-)GWR High Speed services? I'm guessing not...

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Highbridge to Taunton is ex-Wessex, hence compensation will be based on the ex-Wessex scheme.

Actual service used is not relevant for the purpose of deciding service groups.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Highbridge to Taunton is ex-Wessex, hence compensation will be based on the ex-Wessex scheme.

Actual service used is not relevant for the purpose of deciding service groups.
What if the part of the journey made on GWR is (was) shared across multiple service groups? E.g. London to Reading? Does the actual service used then matter?

Haywain

Veteran Member
What if the part of the journey made on GWR is (was) shared across multiple service groups? E.g. London to Reading? Does the actual service used then matter?
As bb21 stated above, the service used is not relevant as each journey is allocated to a specific service group.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
What sort of pass was the OP using?

Does the NRCoT allow you to combine a (free?) pass and a purchased Ticket to make a single journey and avail of all the protections that brings? I can't see that it does; the NRCoT seems to be quite explicit that you may only do this with a "Ticket".

Just a bit of Devil's Advocate.

Established Member
What sort of pass was the OP using?

Does the NRCoT allow you to combine a (free?) pass and a purchased Ticket to make a single journey and avail of all the protections that brings? I can't see that it does; the NRCoT seems to be quite explicit that you may only do this with a "Ticket".

Just a bit of Devil's Advocate.
A pass IS your ticket for travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.