• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Complimentary travel pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSP 2

I was traveling out from Barro on the 17/12/20 on a late running train and had a ticket check (not a problem)IMG_2049.JPG This was the ticket I was using, the conductor was new to me and asked for me to take the ticket out of the plastic ticket wallet I thought it was because I had wrote Barrow in caps and Manchester in joined up script, but then she lined out the day box of the ticket (this is the first time that this has happened, is this correct?).
I'm putting in for a delay repay claim as I was over 2hrs late. Could this invalidate the ticket?

I should have been on the 08:49 arrive Man 1057. but ended up on the 10:00 arriving Man at approx. 13:05 (this train was a bit late).

It's nice to get a free ticket but if I don't I've not lost any thing.

But if the same person starts to invalidate boxes on 4 in 8 day rovers?

Lets see what Northern have to say.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
I’ve had crew on that line rip the ticket, when my journey hadn’t finished. I had to ask her to endorse it to finish my journey.

HSP 2

Do they give you another free ticket if you put in for Delay Repay on a free ticket? That's quite generous.
What do you mean by this, there’s nothing obvious on the image you’ve posted?

It looks like I may have got your answers the wrong way round. Bletchleyite, Yes you can get a delay repay on a delay repay as its due to the time that you have been delayed, not the cost. I don't know what would happen if you asked for the cost of the ticket?

Haywain, this is a close up of the ticket, the cross out is in blue and the date is is in black.

Attachments

• IMG_2053.JPG
    IMG_2053.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 71

HSP 2

I’ve had crew on that line rip the ticket, when my journey hadn’t finished. I had to ask her to endorse it to finish my journey.

Sounds like the same person, as I know that this happened to other travellers.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
this is a close up of the ticket, the cross out is in blue and the date is is in black.
That’s dubious and probably shouldn’t be done. It opens the passenger up to accusations of altering the ticket, and we know what Northern are like.

scrapy

Established Member
The guard endorsing the ticket does not alter its validity and was common certainly on orange stock pre covid although circling the date more customer friendly as it doesn't make it seem to a passenger that validity has been taken away. You certainly should make a delay repay claim (for a new voucher) and I would expect it to be successful.

As a side note I know most TOCs have instructed staff to avoid handling tickets unless necessary so I'm surprised this was done.

gray1404

Established Member
That’s dubious and probably shouldn’t be done. It opens the passenger up to accusations of altering the ticket, and we know what Northern are like.
I agree with this. Opens the customer up totally to being wrongly accused of altering the ticket. The guard should not be marking the ticket or ripping it.

Qwerty133

Established Member
I agree with this. Opens the customer up totally to being wrongly accused of altering the ticket. The guard should not be marking the ticket or ripping it.
Nonsense. There is absolutely no problem with a guard marking the ticket to indicate that part of it's validity has been used. Whilst it is unlikely that many would want to make multiple journeys between the same stations on the same day it is possible that some would (or that the ticket could be passed onto another who would) so it makes sense to mark tickets that don't permit multiple journeys to prevent repeat use.

6Gman

Established Member
Nonsense. There is absolutely no problem with a guard marking the ticket to indicate that part of it's validity has been used. Whilst it is unlikely that many would want to make multiple journeys between the same stations on the same day it is possible that some would (or that the ticket could be passed onto another who would) so it makes sense to mark tickets that don't permit multiple journeys to prevent repeat use.
Which should be done using a properly set up device, not by the sort of random scribbling and crossing out that seems to be widely used.

Personally, I like those round stamps which show the service on which the ticket was endorsed.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Whatever happened to ZIFA ticket stampers? Used to be used widely across the UK rail network.

Vespa

Established Member
Old school railway ticket clippers would have done the business.

They're not that expensive.

Last edited:

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Today's orange ticket stock is glossy as it is thermally printed, so ZIFA stamps can easily smudge too

HSP 2

Well I got my reply from Northern today and I should be getting TWO complimentary passes as by there timings I was 2hrs 4mins late.
In the Email nothing was mentioned about the crossing out, so I don't know if it's correct or not.
To my mind I don't think that it should be done and defiantly not on a 4 in 8 rover date card as it could invalidate that days travel, more so if your on your first train of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.