• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conductor shift start/finish times ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks13

Hi all, just though I'd post a quick question on this forum as it seems to have a wealth of information and helpful people so here is my newbie post,

I'm interested in a career working on the railways in particular that of a conductor. I already work shifts so that's not a issue for me I was just more curious about start and finish times and if there is any long runs of shifts. Also is weekend work balanced ? I understand that every depot will have different timings I just wondered for a general idea. Also do conductor roles attract unsocial hours payments ?

Thanks in advance if anyone takes the time to reply.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
At my depot our earliest start is 04:20, latest finish is 02:00. We have one night shift from 22:20 to 07:30, only the night shift attracts unsocial payments. Our longest rostered stretches tend to be 7/8 days on the trot, although those normal come after or finish with a long weekend.

Under time rules suggested by the Hidden Report (investigation into the Clapham crash) most (all?) TOCs abide you can not work 14 days without a day off.

Marks13

At my depot our earliest start is 04:20, latest finish is 02:00. We have one night shift from 22:20 to 07:30, only the night shift attracts unsocial payments. Our longest rostered stretches tend to be 7/8 days on the trot, although those normal come after or finish with a long weekend.

Under time rules suggested by the Hidden Report (investigation into the Clapham crash) most (all?) TOCs abide you can not work 14 days without a day off.

Thanks for the reply, your shifts are pretty similar to what I work at present , I don't mind a long run as long as there's a few days off after. I've just got a number of somebody who works for my local TOC so I'll have a better idea of shift times locally.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.