• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CONFIRMED - Tube fares frozen until March 2025

Via Bank

We are truly through the looking glass if freezing fares in an ongoing cost of living crisis is somehow a bad thing.

And yes, there is be an election coming up. In elections people usually vote for the person whose policies they like the most.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thomalex

We are truly through the looking glass if freezing fares in an ongoing cost of living crisis is somehow a bad thing.

And yes, there is be an election coming up. In elections people usually vote for the person whose policies they like the most.

I think it’s squaring that with the ongoing funding crisis for TfL. On a rail forum presumably a lot of people want new infrastructure projects, station improvements, new rolling stock etc. and freezing fares while inflation is still steamrolling on at 4% isn’t going to help any of that.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Is Khan being ‘economical with the truth’ again? It may be true that fares for each individual journey are being frozen, but if the daily caps are raised, those making multiple journeys in a day may still pay more.
He has form in this regard

bakerstreet

Is Khan being ‘economical with the truth’ again? It may be true that fares for each individual journey are being frozen, but if the daily caps are raised, those making multiple journeys in a day may still pay more.
He has form in this regard

I think the issue with the daily caps is that they include a fares element (national rail priced, mix mode priced) of which the Mayor has little or no control over.

Hence, the single TfL priced fares, including buses, which are within the Mayor’s control can be frozen, but daily and period travelcards which include travel on other operators, and daily and weekly caps which do the same, less so.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I think the issue with the daily caps is that they include a fares element (national rail priced, mix mode priced) of which the Mayor has little or no control over.

Hence, the single TfL priced fares, including buses, which are within the Mayor’s control can be frozen, but daily and period travelcards which include travel on other operators, and daily and weekly caps which do the same, less so.
Is the bus and tram cap increasing?

bakerstreet

Is the bus and tram cap increasing?
Im not sure but Ive only heard a promise focussed on single fares, ie that tube and bus single fares will be frozen until at least March 2025. Im assuming that also includes Overground and other single fares that TfL set.

I suppose if the bus / tram cap is frozen whilst the other caps are raised this might have unintended consequences.

Im not sure if the bus / tram cap was frozen in the last fares freeze or not.

londonbridge

Established Member
Please keep your baseless moaning about the Mayor to yourself or to an appropriate general discussion thread. This one is about the LU and other TfL fares.
With respect, the other member opened the door with the comment that Khan will easily win.

Starmill

Veteran Member
With respect, the other member opened the door with the comment that Khan will easily win.
It's not my place to determine if the previous comment was "opening a door" or not. It is however your decision if you respond to something or not, and if you do how that comes across.

As per the Mayoral decision notice, the Bus & Tram Cap, One Day Bus & Tram Pass and longer-duration Bus & Tram passes, are also frozen at last year's rate.

Link to Mayoral decision notice - WARNING PDF!
Thank you.

Thirteen

As per the Mayoral decision notice, the Bus & Tram Cap, One Day Bus & Tram Pass and longer-duration Bus & Tram passes, are also frozen at last year's rate.

Link to Mayoral decision notice - WARNING PDF!
Increasing the Zonal cap does make sense since some of that will be affected by the National rail increase.

It's not my place to determine if the previous comment was "opening a door" or not. It is however your decision if you respond to something or not, and if you do how that comes across.
Would be worth having a thread in GE about the Mayoral Election?

londonbridge

Established Member

Thank you.
Well I think I’ve made my opinion of the mayor more than clear, however I shall say no more on it, at least not in this thread.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Increasing the Zonal cap does make sense since some of that will be affected by the National rail increase.
It does mean the experiences with regard to an increased cost of travel differ for those reliant on TfL services, and those reliant on NR services.

Meanwhile, the growing disparity on costs prevents any future ambitions of alignment.

DC1989

Interesting to hear how the general reaction to this has been compared to the reaction when fuel duty is frozen for 14 years in a row

Mikey C

Established Member
Interesting to hear how the general reaction to this has been compared to the reaction when fuel duty is frozen for 14 years in a row
With the rise in the price of fuel, the amount of money raised from motorists will be higher than 14 years ago anyway

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
With the rise in the price of fuel, the amount of money raised from motorists will be higher than 14 years ago anyway
That may be relevant for the Vat, which is charged at a percentage of the price, but fuel duty is charged per unit, in the case of petrol or diesel at 52.95p per litre, so it doesn’t matter if petrol costs £1 per litre or £10 per litre, the government would still only collect fuel duty at 52.95p per litre.