• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Confused destination on the bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scania3379man

Forgive me guys,

I'm not sure if u seen my question on yahoo email before please admin delete my thread if u have to.

Here is a question, I don't understand my local bus show destination 631/2 Highfield Grange circular, right? I know the letter nothing do with transport but I want you know that my letter is Winstanley not Highfield Grange....Before war in 1940 or later it is Wigan corporation transport got no bus in my area and it used be Smithy Brook Estate and it is coal mine in that area. Then in 1974 or late it is acquire GMT(greater manchester Transport) and got new service on 631 and 632 show destination Highfield Grange circular, I got confused why my letter show address is winstanley cos 5 mins walk to shop and bus terminus....doesnt match the bus destination and the letter, some say it is because of new house building on Holmes House Avenue. Any idea why doesnt match between both different name? Anyone got like that before recently or curious and does people of winstanley got confused or don't know where's that?

Please forgive me my english not very good sentence cos you might/not might know I'm disabled(deaf),

Thank you guys,

Martyn

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PG

Established Member
Whilst I'm not familiar with the area I've had a quick look at the timetable map for the 631/2
http://www.tfgm.com/journey_planning/RouteMaps/632.pdf
and I guess Highfield Grange is maybe the best name to put on the bus destination screen since the services run along Highfield Grange Avenue before reaching Highfield Grange, thus a large proportion of users would consider themselves as living in the Highfield Grange area?

Also looking at the timetable, apart from Wigan bus station, it only has 3 timing points listed so it seems reasonable that since in either direction Highfield Grange is the middle timing point then that is what should be displayed on the destination screen of the bus.

A lot of circular services have this problem, if indeed it is a problem, in that they have to put one place on the destination screen of the bus even though because it is a circular service it doesn't effectively have an end of route terminus.

Scania3379man

OK, PG.

I can't understand. Oh well which bus terminus is stop? it is Pemberton Train station on 631 follow fare price and how many miles from wigan bus station? 632 stop at Marus Bridge island or not island(i dunno) because of early or wait follow time on ticket machine. I think they should change destination screen better cos follow time and fare to stop terminus on 631/2.

To make people understand where that going to from Wigan Bus station.

Thank for explain, PG.

Martyn

PG

Established Member
Sorry if that hasn't been much use or help for you Martyn - as I mentioned I'm not familiar personally with this area so hopefully someone with more local knowledge will see this and be better able to help you. :)

Scania3379man

Sorry if that hasn't been much use or help for you Martyn - as I mentioned I'm not familiar personally with this area so hopefully someone with more local knowledge will see this and be better able to help you. :)

That's ok, PG...

I will wait someone respond for my comment question, thank for help.

Martyn

Scania3379man

Is the Poacher pub classified as Highfield Grange? If so why?

I have no idea, pal...but It's should be winstanley as you can see the google image and say Winstanley where i live and highfield grange show near pemberton road on google map. I think maybe the poacher pub is winstanley classified. Maybe London create new name or GMPTE(finish name) now TFGM in 1974 or afterward.

Martyn

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Don't ever take Google Maps/Images as a definitive source of information.

No, it puts where I live in Queensbury which is about 12 miles away from where I live. Some companies seem to have a link to google map data in their systems and I've had a couple of delivery drivers trying to deliver to me there (when I've given the company the correct address).

GodAtum

On Moderation
Lol the automated anouncements on TFL buses that tell you the next stops, destination etc.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Whilst I'm not familiar with the area I've had a quick look at the timetable map for the 631/2
http://www.tfgm.com/journey_planning/RouteMaps/632.pdf
and I guess Highfield Grange is maybe the best name to put on the bus destination screen since the services run along Highfield Grange Avenue before reaching Highfield Grange, thus a large proportion of users would consider themselves as living in the Highfield Grange area?

Isn't the area in-between the A49 and Winstanley known colloquially as "Highfield Grange" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.