• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Confusing Delay Repay (incl. Travelcard)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyphen

Swansea (previously Nottingham/Sheffield)
Hi all,

I had a delay to a journey today which I wish to claim Delay Repay for.

The journey was Swansea to Hayes (Kent), which had an advertised through connection from the 07:28 (arr Paddington 10:28) onto the 11:17 from Charing Cross (arr Hayes 11:55).

For this journey I bought an off-peak Swansea to London Z1-6 Travelcard, as it was only 35p more expensive than the equivalent through ticket, and I ended up needing it (I returned via Bromley South instead).

Arriving at Charing Cross, the 11:17 was cancelled, as was the 11:47. Station staff sent me to London Bridge to connect with the 12:04 slower service, which itself didn't run to Hayes. I ended up on the next faster service, the 12:17 from Charing X, running a few late, which got me into Hayes 67 minutes later than intended.

My questions:

1. Do Southeastern operate a Delay Repay scheme as we've come to know it (as opposed to the Passenger Charter), and am I best making my claim directly to them? (it's a FGW priced flow/ticket)
  2. Given I had bought a travelcard rather than a through ticket, how do I prove I made this journey? (I have a seat reservation coupon for the 07:28 from Swansea, which does show logically that the 11:17 is the correct connection, but I have no documentation to show I was in fact travelling to Hayes)
  3. Given I was making this leg on the travelcard part of my ticket, how much am I likely to get back in RTVs?
Many thanks for any light you may be able to shed on this!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
If SouthEastern delayed you, your delay repay claim goes to them.

I have claimed from VT on a Cheshire day ranger in the past and been issued an RTV for the full cost of the ranger.

Which leg of the journey you were delayed on is irrelevant, as long as it was the TOC you claim from.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Why only 50%? The delay was 67 minutes.

It is a return ticket.

A Travelcard is treated as a return ticket.

Given I had bought a travelcard rather than a through ticket, how do I prove I made this journey? (I have a seat reservation coupon for the 07:28 from Swansea, which does show logically that the 11:17 is the correct connection, but I have no documentation to show I was in fact travelling to Hayes)

You don't have to prove anything. You have a valid ticket for the journey you claim to have made.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why only 50%? The delay was 67 minutes.
On Southeastern, it is only 50% of a return journey (or 100% of a single ticket) for a delay of between 60 and 119 minutes.

It would be 100% of the return journey if the delay was 120 minutes or more.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Although you are warned that SouthEastern have a history of trying to wriggle out of paying the appropriate amount of compensation in my experience, so you might need to chase them up if you don't get the right amount back. If you are firm with them, the follow-up always makes up for the shortfall.

Status
Not open for further replies.