• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Confusion surrounds Grand Central ticket

CJP101

I booked an open return ticket from York to Hartlepool with Grand Central for the coming Friday (26th of April). I will be coming back some time on Sunday.

My tickets are E-Tickets, and on my return ticket it has the date 1st of May on the top, with the date valid until 25th of May (I booked an open return within a month).

I’m confused as why it has set the date to the 1st of May for my return as I didn’t select a return date, with the only explanation being that it has reserved me seats for the return journey on that day.

Will I still be okay travelling back on Sunday even though my return ticket has the date 1st of May on it?

I contacted Grand Central and they said that I can use it to travel back whenever I want within one month, but they don’t know why it has set that date either.

I have attached screenshots of my e-tickets. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_4347.jpeg
    IMG_4347.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4346.jpeg
    IMG_4346.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4348.png
    IMG_4348.png
    224.1 KB · Views: 71
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrJeeves

Established Member
You're perfectly fine to travel back any time between 26 Apr and 25 May with that ticket, as you've been told.

I assume this is a quirk of how Grand Central do open return bookings and they may assign some fake return date for the purposes of fulfilling the tickets (perhaps they do something weird like a fake search for Date N and N+5d to filter out any day/weekend return tickets?), and this appears on the mobile wallet pass version of the E-Ticket.

Have you checked to see what the PDF version of the E-Ticket shows? I'd be interested to see which date that has on it.

CJP101

You're perfectly fine to travel back any time between 26 Apr and 25 May with that ticket, as you've been told.

I assume this is a quirk of how Grand Central do open return bookings and they may assign some fake return date for the purposes of fulfilling the tickets (perhaps they do something weird like a fake search for Date N and N+5d to filter out any day/weekend return tickets?), and this appears on the mobile wallet pass version of the E-Ticket.

Have you checked to see what the PDF version of the E-Ticket shows? I'd be interested to see which date that has on it.
This is what appears on the booking on the website.

This is the PDF E-Ticket

Attachments

• IMG_4348.png
    IMG_4348.png
    224.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4350.jpeg
    IMG_4350.jpeg
    871.5 KB · Views: 53

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
That is a bizarre glitch, but the ticket remains valid as it's an open return. I'd keep the first portion though and explain any discrepancy on board, and retain GC's explanation in case of any disputes.

CJP101

That is a bizarre glitch, but the ticket remains valid as it's an open return. I'd keep the first portion though and explain any discrepancy on board, and retain GC's explanation in case of any disputes.
Which bit should I keep?