• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Connection time at STP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomp94

I will be getting off a Thameslink on the lower level platforms at St Pancras. I have 15 minutes to get to to my EMR train to Nottingham.
I understand that the minimum connection time is 15 minutes. However, that does seem a little short. Is the EMR platform right by the lower level Thameslink platforms? If my train is even ten minutes late (coming from Gatwick, so entirely possible) it really doesn't leave much time to catch the next train. I am travelling on advance tickets, so I assume that I am delayed en route to STP and can't make the train on my ticket, I can walk onto the next available?
Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
If your train from Gatwick is late and if - as you have said - you have allowed the minimum connection time between trains then
  1. you may use the next available onward service with the same train operator with whom the advance ticket was booked (so EMR, no issue)
  2. you may claim Delay Repay from the operator of the train from Gatwick based on your final actual arrival time into Nottingham

The EMR platforms are up two sets of escalators from the Thameslink platforms, see https://images.nationalrail.co.uk/e...ndon_St_Pancras_International_station_map.jpg

EDIT Tomp94 posts later that the journey is actually from Worthing, not Gatwick. Delay Repay should be claimed from the operator of the first train which runs late and causes connections to be missed, regardless of any subsequent delay on other trains.

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
5 minutes is enough to make the connection provided you know where you're going and walk quickly. I reckon I could do it in about 3-4 minutes at a push.

It's not a particularly long way, but being positioned in the right part of the Thameslink train (around the middle) will save you a lot of walking along the subterranean TL platform.

At the end of the day, minimum connection times are only really intended to allow enough time to connect between trains that are on time. If your inbound train is late, don't worry - you can take the next EMR service and claim Delay Repay if sufficiently delayed.

Haywain

Veteran Member
5 minutes is enough to make the connection provided you know where you're going and walk quickly. I reckon I could do it in about 3-4 minutes at a push.
I know St Pancras pretty well, and would regard 5 minutes as being very tight. Knowing that EMR tend to shut off the platform a couple of minutes before departure I wouldn't allow much less than 10 minutes between low level and high level platforms.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I will be getting off a Thameslink on the lower level platforms at St Pancras. I have 15 minutes to get to to my EMR train to Nottingham.
I understand that the minimum connection time is 15 minutes. However, that does seem a little short. Is the EMR platform right by the lower level Thameslink platforms? If my train is even ten minutes late (coming from Gatwick, so entirely possible) it really doesn't leave much time to catch the next train. I am travelling on advance tickets, so I assume that I am delayed en route to STP and can't make the train on my ticket, I can walk onto the next available?
Thank you
Check the station map - note that annoyingly the up escalator from the main low level area up to the EMR platforms is further from the gate line where you exit the Thameslink area than the down escalator going in the opposite direction is positioned. I use the escalator rather than the lift. I do the link regularly - I would say more than 5 mins but less than 10 mins is OK. Walk briskly.

If in a hurry I aim for gates towards the side of the Thameslink barrier line to exit where there are staff who will open the gate if it rejects a ticket for some reason.

As said above, exit the t-link trains towards the middle so you can get up the escalator and off the t-link platform quickly.

Presumably for structural / architectural reasons it is v annoying that at St P there is no easy route to move fast between all 3 layers of the station, seemingly such that perusing shops is more of a priority than changing trains....

If things are on time your 15 minute slot should be achievable.

avid2424

As said there is only one exit from the Thameslink platforms and the EMR gateline is directly one level above the Thameslink exit gates. And to FIND the up escalator to the EMR gateline just keep walking in the same direction as you come up the escalator from Thameslink. And you eventually get to the point where you make a U-turn to get on the escalator to take you up the one further level. And then continue forward from the top of the escalator - to take you to the EMR gateline

And the Thameslink train can have some generous timings. There have been occasions when the train from Gatwick is 5 minutes late at East Croydon but easily makes an on time arrival at St Pancras

5 minutes would be fine - I can be off the XX49 Scotland LNER arrival at Kings X and easily consistently make the XX57 Thameslink to Sutton from St Pancras Low Level with suitcase luggage - and that's much further than going up to EMR.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thank you
It's a valid connection and you are entitled to take the next appropriate train in the event of delays causing you to miss the train.

If you can advise which train you will be alighting from, we can advise on the best coach/door to alight from (but as a general rule you want to be roughly in the middle but, heading northbound, nearer the front than the back; the exact door will vary depending on the train length and someone other than me would be better placed to advise on this).

Those who mention being able to do it in 5 mins are not wrong, but are fit people who also likely know the best doors to alight from.

For future reference, if you want to allow more time at St Pancras for connections, our booking site allows you to do just that

sot

It's not a particularly long way, but being positioned in the right part of the Thameslink train (around the middle) will save you a lot of walking along the subterranean TL platform.
I find on a 12 car the best position to alight travelling northbound is two doors forward of the accessible toilet in the middle of the train. This is just ahead of the escalators and I am always the first person onto the escalators from there.

When it comes to these I'd keep an eye on RTT as you hit London Bridge just to see if you are delayed.

I tend to take the lift from the ground floor to the EMR area and vice versa. Don't use the lifts in the low level station as you have to use two different ones to get up to the ground floor.

On two occasions now I have asked the EMR staff what is the absolute quickest way to the box. The first one must have thought I meant LUL. Second one said there is no faster way than what has been described.

Tomp94

Thanks all.
It looks like I will miss the connection in London!

Journey is Worthing to Nottingham, train from worthing to Gatwick is delayed by 15 mins, wiping out connection time at Gatwick.

The next train Gatwick to St Pancras will get me to St Pancras just 5 minutes prior to my 11.05 EMR to nottignham!

WesternLancer

Established Member
Thanks all.

Journey is Worthing to Nottingham, train from Worthing to Gatwick is delayed by 15 mins, wiping out connection time at Gatwick.

The next train Gatwick to St Pancras will get me to St Pancras just 5 minutes prior to my 11.05 EMR to Nottingham!
In theory you might make it but if unfamiliar with the location the rush may still not get you there. Probably time to start studying Southern's slightly frustrating Delay - Repay page whilst aiming for the next Nottingham departure.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks all.

Journey is Worthing to Nottingham, train from worthing to Gatwick is delayed by 15 mins, wiping out connection time at Gatwick.

The next train Gatwick to St Pancras will get me to St Pancras just 5 minutes prior to my 11.05 EMR to nottignham!
If you take the advice above and be in the optimal position and are among first to alight, walk straight up the escalators and then once at ground level, the lift to EMR platforms, you might make it.

Next time, book through us if you want additional interchange time at any point ;)

avid2424

Additional interchange time often simply means same overall journey time as the OP is probably faced with. Whereas without additional interchange time gives you more of a chance of delay repay. Depends if your arrival time is critical versus a regular start time for your journey

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Additional interchange time often simply means same overall journey time as the OP is probably faced with. Whereas without additional interchange time gives you more of a chance of delay repay.
True; if arrival time isn't crucial then you can maximise Delay Repay entitlement by having tight connections.

Depends if your arrival time is critical versus a regular start time for your journey
Yes; for anyone who wants a more reliable itinerary and not worry so much about connections, the option of additional interchange time is good.

Also on busy trains, you may want to be more certain of having a reserved seat (where available), and additional interchange helps with that too.

sot

Just as a curiosity was the EMR of the type that there is a pair of trains stacked in the platform and yours is the furthest away.

Tomp94

Just as a curiosity was the EMR of the type that there is a pair of trains stacked in the platform and yours is the furthest away.
Yes...
I got on the wrong one. ha ha!
Barriers didn't seem to be working, so we all were all let through at once, info screens weren't working (and still showed BST time!!) I went to platform 4 and got on the first train that said nottignham on it....

I thought it was a little quiet when I got on
... I'd boarded the 12.05! whoops! Luckily no questions asked from the on-board staff, I just said missed connection...which was true!

I’m guessing you arrived in Nottingham at 13:21 versus originally booked 12:50.
I was originally booked 11.05, should then have got 11.35, tldr, got on the 12.05, arrived 13.35ish

Thanks all! I'll definitely book long distamce trips through the forum site, as 15 mins just isn't long enough of a connection if there is even a slight delay!

Status
Not open for further replies.