• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conscription.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Though if you were in a reserved occupation you still could be in harms way on the home front, my grand father was a carpenter and wasn't in the armed forces, though at night was enrolled in his factory's fire brigade. During the blitz that obviously wasn't without some hazards of course.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gg1

Established Member
Though if you were in a reserved occupation you still could be in harms way on the home front, my grand father was a carpenter and wasn't in the armed forces, though at night was enrolled in his factory's fire brigade. During the blitz that obviously wasn't without some hazards of course.
Indeed, Civil Defence staff (better known as ARP) were predominantly working men and women who volunteered to serve part time in addition to their day job, 7,000 of whom were killed in action.

joebassman

No one seems to want to reply to you, but I hope they took note.
The only truth in this life is that we are all commodities. Understand that and it all becomes more clearer on how to move forward and make decisions that are more beneficial and rewarding for ourselves.
We only get one life, be positive.
I started a self study course on conversational hypnosis that a mentor I am working with gave me, which included the speaker giving demonstartions.

I was told this course is taught to sales people, people in the media etc and costs 1000s.

Listening was eye opening and quite scary at times, realising how easy it is to put people into trances and plant messages into their brain.

Although the course is also used to train therapists, I did not finish the course.

I felt I had heard enough and there were some dark arts in that course that I did not wish to go into. Plus there are around 15 CDs of lessons.

At the moment I'm needing to spend ages and working with different people trying to deprogramm my brain and do not wish to have my mind programmed any further by the media.

In my opinion, they have a right racket going on, scare the bejezzers out of people and then sell a load of anti anxiety and anti depressant medication.

No one knows what the future holds and listening to and believing media speculation only leads to more mental suffering.

However, you may wish to read the thread about anxiety / depression before being so condemnatory . Both conditions tend to be linked and are very debilitating I can assure you. The callousness of this Gov't in attempting to force people to work,when suffering from such, exemplifies their indifference to the electorate.
Kind of smacks of a similar attitide to when people who were suffering from shell shock were condemned as cowards.

I had some experience of this attitude when I was a child when I was diagnosed with Myalgic encephalomyelitis (M.E.) also known as chronic fatigue syndrom.

Despite being virtually bed bound, some doctors and school staff deemed I just had a school phobia and that my parents should force me to go to school. That didn't work out too well and just ended up making me feel worse.

" If you want peace prepare for war
Kind of reminds me of the "war is peace" on the Ministry of Peace sign in G. Orwells 1984.

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
This might be unpopular with some people.
But is it time to consider:-

UK is a relatively small country. We no longer colonise / rule about 25-30% of The World. We are no longer a World Power.

Has the time come for us to accept that it is not our duty to help "police" the world?

75A

Established Member

UK is a relatively small country. We no longer colonise / rule about 25-30% of The World. We are no longer a World Power.

Has the time come for us to accept that it is not our duty to help "police" the world?
Completley agree.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Who is talking about "policing the world"? Or is the suggestion that we can just ignore what happens beyond the edge of the Channel?

Bevan Price

Established Member
Who is talking about "policing the world"? Or is the suggestion that we can just ignore what happens beyond the edge of the Channel?
Not entirely - but should we have become militarily involved in the Middle East, - Iraq (Blair's big mistake ?), Yemen, etc. ??

hst43102

We are no longer a World Power.

In what way are we no longer a World Power? Just because some of the power has shifted away from the West, I would still place the UK as one of the global powers, and see no reason for us to give up this place to a different country - especially considering our place on the world stage would likely be taken by Russia, China or Iran. I'm not suggesting that we start or support myriad wars across the middle east for no reason, as seen in the last 20 years, but by neglecting to protect our interests globally - "policing" - we risk the danger of hostile nations gaining too much global power and shifting the power balance in the world.

najaB

Veteran Member
In what way are we no longer a World Power?
Not to speak negatively about my own country, but in what way would you say that we're still a world power?

Are we still a leader? Yes (at times). But the fact is that at the turn of the 20th century, the Empire spanned the globe, and countries thought twice before challenging the mighty Royal Navy.

Now we have a few small overseas territories, and we struggle to get HMS Queen Elizabeth out of port.

Why should any of the larger countries in the world listen to anything we say?

DustyBin

Established Member

It is our duty to help “police the world”, as we are a world power. If anything we, along with some of our allies, will need to step up further should the US adopt a more isolationist foreign policy.

In what way are we no longer a World Power? Just because some of the power has shifted away from the West, I would still place the UK as one of the global powers, and see no reason for us to give up this place to a different country - especially considering our place on the world stage would likely be taken by Russia, China or Iran. I'm not suggesting that we start or support myriad wars across the middle east for no reason, as seen in the last 20 years, but by neglecting to protect our interests globally - "policing" - we risk the danger of hostile nations gaining too much global power and shifting the power balance in the world.

Exactly.

Yew

Established Member
Not to speak negatively about my own country, but in what way would you say that we're still a world power?

Are we still a leader? Yes (at times). But the fact is that at the turn of the 20th century, the Empire spanned the globe, and countries thought twice before challenging the mighty Royal Navy.

Now we have a few small overseas territories, and we struggle to get HMS Queen Elizabeth out of port.

We're probably the only power outside to the US that can engage in relatively consistent global naval power projection.

najaB

Veteran Member
We're probably the only power outside to the US that can engage in relatively consistent global naval power projection.
Ten or fifteen years ago I would have agreed. But the RN is in quite the parlous state of late.

We were on the verge of paying off HMS Albion and Bulwark a few weeks ago because we don't have enough sailors, and half the destroyer fleet (of six) aren't available for service.

And two carriers are better than one, but we really need three to be sure that at least one is ready for service at all times.

hst43102

We're definitely not the world power we were 100, 50 or even 15 years ago - but I would say we still hold much more global power than most other countries. For example, the Royal Navy is one of the only counties to have ships around the world and a permanent nuclear deterrent, and the RAF has bases in the South Atlantic, Middle East and Cyprus. While this is much less than we have had in the past, in terms of a globally distributed military I would probably say we are in second or third place, clearly behind the US but roughly equal to France. Russia, China, Iran and Saudi Arabia may have regional power but don't have the same global reach. I do think that the state of our armed forces is dire and hopefully the events of the last few years will encourage the government to properly invest in a military which can not only protect our country itself but also our allies across the world.
I think most of us would agree that countries holding empires as a calculation of global power and superiority is a thing of the past, and should stay that way.
Because I would much rather they listened to us than to Russia or China.

It is our duty to help “police the world”, as we are a world power. If anything we, along with some of our allies, will need to step up further should the US adopt a more isolationist foreign policy.
Whether it is our duty to police the world is probably a debatable point, but I for one firmly believe that we should, as an approach of "minding our own business" and leaving hostile countries to consolidate power has proven, time and time again, to simply delay war and result in far greater consequences down the line.

DustyBin

Established Member
Ten or fifteen years ago I would have agreed. But the RN is in quite the parlous state of late.

We were on the verge of paying off HMS Albion and Bulwark a few weeks ago because we don't have enough sailors, and half the destroyer fleet (of six) aren't available for service.

And two carriers are better than one, but we really need three to be sure that at least one is ready for service at all times.

You’re not wrong; we really need to get our act together (as people are clearly starting to realise!). However, very few countries have a blue water navy, and even fewer have carriers equipped with 5th generation fighter jets. The ability to project that level of power anywhere in the world makes us a global power, I think that’s indisputable. (Again, I accept that in reality we’re facing some serious issues which threaten to undermine this).

We wield a significant amount of soft power as well, which is often overlooked.

We're definitely not the world power we were 100, 50 or even 15 years ago - but I would say we still hold much more global power than most other countries. For example, the Royal Navy is one of the only counties to have ships around the world and a permanent nuclear deterrent, and the RAF has bases in the South Atlantic, Middle East and Cyprus. While this is much less than we have had in the past, in terms of a globally distributed military I would probably say we are in second or third place, clearly behind the US but roughly equal to France. Russia, China, Iran and Saudi Arabia may have regional power but don't have the same global reach. I do think that the state of our armed forces is dire and hopefully the events of the last few years will encourage the government to properly invest in a military which can not only protect our country itself but also our allies across the world.
I think most of us would agree that countries holding empires as a calculation of global power and superiority is a thing of the past, and should stay that way.

If I remember correctly, only the US has more overseas military bases than we do. They’re well distributed too, as you say.

Whether it is our duty to police the world is probably a debatable point, but I for one firmly believe that we should, as an approach of "minding our own business" and leaving hostile countries to consolidate power has proven, time and time again, to simply delay war and result in far greater consequences down the line.

I agree.

najaB

Veteran Member
Because I would much rather they listened to us than to Russia or China.
As would I. But if, say, China was to sidle up to an African nation and offer them billions of dollars to let them build a military base and vote certain ways in the UN, what are we going to counter with?

hst43102

As would I. But if, say, China was to sidle up to an African nation and offer them billions of dollars to let them build a military base and vote certain ways in the UN, what are we going to counter with?
Realistically, probably a bunch of economic sanctions and a few stern words but not much more. France's ongoing campaign to intervene in their former African colonies hasn't exactly been a resounding success so far...

MP33

The UK found out that they were no longer a world power back at the time of the Suez crisis.

Yew

Established Member
We were on the verge of paying off HMS Albion and Bulwark a few weeks ago because we don't have enough sailors,
Recruitment is an issue, but also I think such pain is to be expected shortly after the introduction of the carriers
and half the destroyer fleet (of six) aren't available for service.
That's about the level of availability that can be expected of Naval Assets.
Indeed, personally I'd be keen to see if we could look at replacing some of our Amphibious assault ships with a few Landing Helicopter Docks, (i.e small aircraft carriers with dock facilities on the back) to give more consistent fixed-wing coverage. Something like the Italian Trieste class would be excellent.

It would be easier to be on board with "World Police" duties if our middle eastern meddling had actually advanced our interests in anyway. 400 brits died in Afghanistan for the people who we invaded to remove coming back in power again the moment we left. Toppling Sadam led to Iran backed Shia militias taking over Iraq. Cameron and Sarkozy's bombing of Libya helped create the refugee crisis.

The gov hardly understands it's own population, it's extremely arrogant to think it will he able to understand the politics of several foreign ones.

Last edited:

gg1

Established Member
It's worth mentioning here that no one other than the US navy currently has more than 2 fixed wing aircraft carriers, although China will have 3 soon, they currently have 2 operational carriers with a third due to enter service this year.

The only other navies with 2 carriers are India and Italy, with Japan in the process of converting 2 helicopter carriers to operate F-35-Bs. In all three cases these are of types less capable than the RN's two Queen Elizabeth class vessels however.

As of 2019 the RN ranked 4th globally in numbers of nuclear submarines, behind only the US, China and Russia.
https://world-nuclear.org/informati...xt=** Late in 2019: USA,a 70 MW steam turbine.

najaB

Veteran Member
It's worth mentioning here that no one other than the US navy currently has more than 2 fixed wing aircraft carriers, although China will have 3 soon, they currently have 2 operational carriers with a third due to enter service this year.
Indeed. Though, had the QE class been built as CATOBAR - which I believe they still have passive provision built in so that (in theory) they can be converted in later life - we'd effectively have three given that the distance between Portsmouth and Tulon isn't that great in the grand scheme of things.

The Americans have operated aircraft off the Charles de Gaulle, I'm not sure if the French have operated off a Nimitz-class but I suspect they have.
As of 2019 the RN ranked 4th globally in numbers of nuclear submarines, behind only the US, China and Russia.
Which is something that we should be proud of, but it doesn't in itself make up for the state of the surface fleet. The problem with submarines is that they're the silent service for a reason, you aren't supposed to know where they are. Saying "We might have a submarine off your coast" doesn't have quite the same diplomatic effect as parking an aircraft carrier and a few destroyers a few miles outside territorial waters does. (Especially since carriers don't often travel without said submarine being somewhere nearby).

Last edited:

Yew

Established Member
And that wouldn't be as much of a problem had we built the twelve that the navy originally wanted.
I’d certainly agree, but can you imagine the daily mail headlines if we had more ships sitting in ordinary “the billion pound warships that ever go to sea”

At the moment we can pin down one trouble spot with relative consistency, se we had better hope that we don’t have to hold down two.

uglymonkey

When Cameron was mucking about with catapult launch or ski-jump ( meaning 2 different types of aircraft) , The ski- jump won. They looked into converting QE to catapults and arrestor wires, but as the ship was in advanced state of near completion, it would have been way way to expensive to convert. Despite the fact the carriers were designed to be converted (if needed) at some point. BAE, I think talking the talk, but not being able to follow through. Possibly due to the UK only having one real defence contractor they can do and quote for pretty much anything they want, as the government is beholden to them and there is no competition.

The F35 vertical take offs ( US or Navy can take off from any carrier), But the F18's ( the staple ship fighter presently cannot) they need cats and traps. ( same for the French), our vertical F35's can land and take off from the french carrier, but their planes need cat and trap so cannot.

najaB

Veteran Member
The F35 vertical take offs ( US or Navy can take off from any carrier),
Not all F-35s can do STOVL. The US Marines fly the F-35B and so can (and have) use our carriers. The F-35C as used by the USN cannot.

Yew

Established Member
Not all F-35s can do STOVL. The US Marines fly the F-35B and so can (and have) use our carriers. The F-35C as used by the USN cannot.
The F35's used on the America class Assault ships can cross-operate with the QE's, though I don't think it has been done in practice yet.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The F35's used on the America class Assault ships can cross-operate with the QE's, though I don't think it has been done in practice yet.
Yeah those are the US Marine Corps F-35Bs and they certainly have deployed on the carriers!

HMS Queen Elizabeth has waved goodbye to the American F-35 fighter jets which have sailed with the ship across the world.​

The US Marine Corps’ VMFA-211 squadron – known as the Wake Island Avengers – which operates the same B variant as the UK, have now departed the UK Carrier Strike Group after six months of operations and exercises.

The American jets and her personnel worked side-by-side the RAF/Royal Navy 617 Squadron, the ‘Dambusters’, carrying out 1,278 sorties, clocking up more than 2,200 hours in skies around the globe.

They also carried out 44 missions in support of the US-led Operation Inherent Resolve – conducting air strikes against Daesh.

“Today we bade farewell to Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 211 of the United States Marine Corps,” said Captain James Blackmore, Royal Navy Air Wing and Strike Warfare Commander.

“The ten F-35B of VMFA-211 undertook their final launch from HMS Queen Elizabeth bringing to a close 16 months of integration with the United Kingdom Carrier Strike Group.

“Embarked for the whole of CSG21, forging ever greater links between the UK and the US, VMFA-211 and the 200 plus Marines have been an integral part of the inaugural deployment.

“Operating with a range of allies, especially the US, provides an invaluable opportunity to gain further experience of the highly capable Lightning F-35B with Merlin and Wildcat helicopters from the Queen Elizabeth-class carriers.

“I wish the Wake Island Avengers well with their future operations.”

Just as they did when they deployed with Harriers onto the Invincible class carriers I believe the USMC pilots loved their time on a British carrier. Being the centre of attention rather than the sideshow that they'd be on an amphibious assault ship, the ski-jump and, of course, the beer in the wardroom!