• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Constant bad luck on train routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Sometimes trains from East Croydon to Victoria come in on both platform 1 and 4 which minutes of each other. I wait on the overbridge and have to run down the stairs to whichever comes in first as the announcements are useless. But even so, if my train leaves first it is often made to wait by the teasing signalman at the Selhurst flyover ... no matter if its a plat 1 or 4 train.

For example, the 0745 on plat 4 is 4 minutes late and gets just before the 0750 on plat 1. It leaves before but is made to wait for the 0750 to pass us.

is there a way for me to tell which train will get priority before boarding?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
is there a way for me to tell which train will get priority before boarding?

Not really, but in the example you have given the one that is already late is being held to let an on time one go first... so that may be a clue.

Though... why worry? It's only going to make a difference of a couple of minutes at Clapham Junction or Victoria, surely?

big all

On Moderation
as a train from platform four need to consider trains via the up and down victoria and possibly down london bridge main dependant on cross overs used its a pathing problem that will vary every day
is there still the crossovers at selhurt between up slow to fast and down fast to slow clear off the london bridge via the fyover??

GodAtum

On Moderation
haha ... unfortunately that 5 minutes is the difference between paying a bus fare or being inside the hopper time

ComUtoR

Established Member
The 0738 gets into Vic at 0754 Getting that service should resolve your problem.

Veteran Member
The hopper bus/tram is valid one hour. I assume that the OP is trying to make maximum use of it at both ends, to save on the cost of a Travelcard season, and relying on tight connections both ends.
@GodAtum you could do some historical research online, which might confirm a pattern. RTT will do for the last week, ISTR there is a better site for this pupose.

GodAtum

On Moderation
The hopper bus/tram is valid one hour. I assume that the OP is trying to make maximum use of it at both ends, to save on the cost of a Travelcard season, and relying on tight connections both ends.
@GodAtum you could do some historical research online, which might confirm a pattern. RTT will do for the last week, ISTR there is a better site for this pupose.

Yeah exactly. I take the bus - train - bus. I'm trying to save money by not buying a yearly bus pass.

robbeech

Established Member
I assume you’re aware that the hopper fare is quite lenient on the 60 minutes.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Good idea - work out what the general trend is, but just accept that occasionally it won't work out and you won't get within the Hopper fare timeband.

Status
Not open for further replies.