• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Contingency guards

Status
Not open for further replies.

notadriver

Established Member
Has anyone here been a contingency guard ? How much / what sort of training do you get ? Is it true some are drafted in from the bus industry parts of the parent company that runs the trains - ie First and Abellio ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wobman

On Moderation
Has anyone here been a contingency guard ? How much / what sort of training do you get ? Is it true some are drafted in from the bus industry parts of the parent company that runs the trains - ie First and Abellio ?
The contingency conductors I've seen are CMs and higher management within the Toc, bus staff won't have Pts or railway knowledge

Sly Sloth

Is this a job that would interest you?

Undiscovered

I think the question you're looking to ask is "Is anyone here a guard?"
Then ask the questions you have, take on board the answers you receive, but bear in mind you'll get minimal training and have zero experience or guidance to help you settle into the role.
You'll be taught the bare minimum to 'pass out', usually on a jolly out on a Thursday somewhere picturesque, before being thrown into the deep end to work the vomit comet at silly o clock on Saturday night.

Welcome aboard!
/S

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Not personally, although I do someone who has been; they only knew 1 route although they were learning a 2nd before they moved into a new role. I was also considering it before changing roles myself. There was a contingency dispatch scheme on the same general premise too.

The assessments were exactly the same as a substantive guard. They had operational experience already from the role they were in, as did most others but not all. They had a brief interview with the responsible manager for the contingency program before being accepted. The on site, training was not as long but only because some elements were completed in your own time - but as I say the assessment criteria and competency framework were identical. Certain elements (i.e rules) were a carbon copy of the permanent guard training. You had to agree with your line manage for a day about every 6 weeks to keep up route knowledge and “go out on trains” as they would if a guard

I know nobody who was drafted from without the company and indeed don’t think that would have been possible on the competency management program.

It was a perfectly well managed and well run scheme from my experience, although others at individual TOCs may have differing opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.