• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Continuity and other errors in British films/TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kennethw

As for as I know, it wasnt filmed at nene valley.

Welshpool & Llanfair also popular with European shots such as the Prisoner of Zenda.
if we can expand to non railway subjects as one entry has already done, some of my favourites are

Raiders of the Lost Ark - a member is seen in the crowd scenes in jeans trainers and T shirt. Karen Allen manages to gag herself while tied up ie there is no gag in the first shot, but it appears in the second

The Wrong Box - Victorian London shot complete with TV ariels

Carmen Jones - the camera crew are reflected in street windows

For Your Eyes only - damaged car headlight repairs itself

Return of the King - Hobbits dwarves and elves are all the same height at one point.

The Titfield Thunderbolt - a stolen locomotive is driven off the rails and down the road - this was done with a cutout mounted on a lorry and the film crew had never seen so many people fall off their bikes at the sight

Scotrail84

Established Member
Trainspotting film has a howler aswell. 156 pulling out of Corrour station to the sound of an HST125.

deltic1989

Established Member
In Goldeneye when the tank comes into view, the driver of the cleverly disguised but regognisable 20 reaches up and yanks on a horn chain attatched to the roof of the cab.... its a long time since ive been in a 20's cab but i seem to remember the horn being controlled by a lever on the drivers console....... Though this might not count as the makers were not trying to prtray a real train?

In The Railway Children...In the scene where the children are stopping the train with the red petticoats, just before the train has completely halted, you can see the reverse effect used in the film. The train is actually reversing away from them for safety, and when reversed, the red petticoats are swaying with unnatural movements as they're being waved by the children.

Not a continuity error but a little nugget i picked up about The Titfield Thunderbolt. The writer T.E.B Clarke was a neigbour of [the evil] Dr Richard Beeching.

sirdouglas

all frost scenes are shot in northern england, mainly yorkshire
(wakefield bus station and wakefield bus depot appear in one episode)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Isnt Denton near Manchester?

Yep, but its also the name of the town taht A Touch of Frost is set in: Wakefield Westgate features as Denton fictional station when needed, as does Beaconsfield as Causton in Midsomer Murders :D

Oswyntail

Established Member
Isnt Denton near Manchester?
There's also a Denton near Ilkley:lol:. To digress slightly, when my lad was 6, he was an extra in the opening scenes of the episode "Appropriate Adults", playing in a playground and running along a street, all shot in Leeds. He was the youngest one there - and is now 22, so plenty of opportunity for parental "aaahs"

12CSVT

Established Member
St Trinians Train Robbery - probably hundreds of continuity errors in the space of 30 minutes.

For example would a child probably no older than 12 have the knowhow, let alone the strength to drive a steam loco?
How did the police manage to obtain a 'Thumper' unit (class 205) at such short notice.
And it was clearly obvious which bits were speeded up.

Oswyntail

Established Member
....For example would a child probably no older than 12 have the knowhow, let alone the strength to drive a steam loco?...
I think that might just be one of the talents St T's thought to be essential:roll:

John Webb

Established Member
St Trinians Train Robbery - probably hundreds of continuity errors in the space of 30 minutes.

For example would a child probably no older than 12 have the knowhow, let alone the strength to drive a steam loco?
How did the police manage to obtain a 'Thumper' unit (class 205) at such short notice.
And it was clearly obvious which bits were speeded up.

The child concerned was the daughter of an engine driver, according to one of her form mates.
The police took over a passenger train formed of the Thumper unit which was waiting at the station (note the '99' headcode!)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Sunday 17th October, BBC1 Countryfile ( should still be on iPlayer... ;) ):

Either the Fort William Sleeper is now a push-pull operation or one of the aerial shots was being played in reverse...:lol:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Indeed, had you not heard that Scotrail are using Mk2 DBSO's on the sleeper? ;):lol:

The section with the sleeper starts from here and you can find the new push-pull service at around 10m 50s.

deltic1989

Established Member
its either the one of the 2 options above or that the driver missed the station and had to reverse back to let the passengers off. Or does this only happen in thomas the tank stories?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
What are the chances of a missed stop and set-back happening just at the very moment that the BBC were filming from a helicopter?

The playing the film backwards is by far the most likely isn't it?:)

OuterDistant

I can't remember which advert it is, but a woman is carrying something down the central aisle of a slam-door DMU with a door to every bay of seats, and when she gets off the train it's suddenly sprouted sliding doors.

scotsman

Established Member
Not continuity error, but the GC advert which depicts East Coast's trains as having Mark I interiors is pretty ironic!

Established Member
Watched Trainspotting yesterday, quite ironic that a film of that name puts HST sounds when the 156 is leaving Corrour.

Established Member
In the program on Eddie Stobart last week where the lorry races the train to Scotland, all the pictures taken en route are of a DRS 66 hauling the "Stobart Express". When the train was showing arriving in Scotland, the 66 had changed into 92017 :lol:

Established Member
It was 92017 at the start and in the footage in the cab as well.
I missed the start of the program, but did catch a brief glimpse of the cab (was multi-tasking between the lounge, kitchen and dining room for much of the rest of it!) and thought it didn't look much like a 66.

scotsman

Established Member
In Goldeneye, when the Driver is ordered "FULL POWER!" he shuts down the throttle.

Andrew Nelson

Film the Cockleshell Hero's, Man on Bicicle waits at a level crossing gate, for a light engine to pass, set in ww2, yet loco has British Railways Emblem on tender.

deltic1989

Established Member
In Goodnight Mister Tom. The loco in the Station sequences leaves london in wartime black and by the time it arrives in the country station, its been re-painted green.

Established Member
Sure there is something with Poirot, like a made for TV film where they are on the Orient Express but it is hauled by an EWS 47.

12CSVT

Established Member
VIDEO 125's 'Midland Mainline' driver's eye view video/DVD has at least one continuity error - you pass a class 47 with a test train near Cricklewood and overtake the same train at St Albans. Did they have cameras set up on more than one train, perhaps ?

OuterDistant

On Heston's Mission Impossible last night, why did Channel 4 have someone edit in a sample of a HST/Valenta when Heston was on the train and a Pendolino passed in the opposite direction? Nnnngh!

ReverendFozz

I was watching Green Street not long ago, and at one point Charlie Hunnam, Elijah Wood and fellow Hoolies travel to Manchester, at first, it seems as if they park up at Kings Cross, get on what is possibly a Class 158, get off at Macclesfield(which is a rural place in the film)and head to Manchester Piccadilly in a van to somewhere that clearly does not resmble piccadilly at all)I will try get a couple of screenshots

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Sure there is something with Poirot, like a made for TV film where they are on the Orient Express but it is hauled by an EWS 47.

I once saw a very poor film with Alfred Molina as Poirot on the Orient Express. It was hauled by a blue 47 as far as I can remember!

Status
Not open for further replies.