• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conwy Valley Line Reopening Date? Update: line now open

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Ran today, eventually leaving after raring to go at 1328 instead of 1010 due to a paperwork issue and worked by 153369 and made a call at the rebuilt Dolgarrog station. Photographing done to make a video for drivers to refresh. and 4 conductors travelled route refreshing

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InTheEastMids

Ran today, eventually leaving after raring to go at 1328 instead of 1010 due to a paperwork issue and worked by 153369 and made a call at the rebuilt Dolgarrog station. Photographing done to make a video for drivers to refresh. and 4 conductors travelled route refreshing

Thanks I was surprised to see (through trees) something pass non stop through Betws around 3 this afternoon heading North.

krus_aragon

Established Member
When did the line last operate?
The line's been ping-ponging between open and closed:

Closed March - July 2019 due to flooding
Closed for three weeks in November 2019 for emergency works to reinforce Ffestiniog tunnel
Closed again since February 2020 after further storm and flood damage.

Dolgarrog's been closed since March 2019.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
The line's been ping-ponging between open and closed:

Closed March - July 2019 due to flooding
Closed for three weeks in November 2019 for emergency works to reinforce Ffestiniog tunnel
Closed again since February 2020 after further storm and flood damage.

Dolgarrog's been closed since March 2019.
Thanks, I recall it was closed when I did a welsh rover ticket earlier this year (pre Covid, early March I think).

Parham Wood

Here are a few pics of the line South of Llanrwst showing the large rocks that have been put in place to hopefully stop embankment washouts in future. I am not sure how much has been done after the last washout i.e. the current closure and what was done after the previous washout. Similar work further downstream as well. You will have to zoom in to see the work I am afraid.

Conwy Valley  S LLanrwst(3).JPGConwy Valley  S LLanrwst(4).JPG

Last edited:

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
The latest from network rail .....

The Conwy Valley Line, which runs from Blaenau Ffestiniog to Llandudno in north Wales, will reopen on 28 September after Network Rail’s £2.2m investment to better protect the railway from extreme weather and flooding has been completed.

The line has washed away because of flooding twice in the past two years, which has meant lengthy closures for passengers and local communities while the railway has been repaired.

The improvements to help better protect the vital line have been entirely designed and built by Network Rail and involve the installation of 16,000 tonnes of rock armour alongside almost 2km of railway between Tal y Cafn and Llanrwst. This will help improve the resilience of the railway during the ever more frequent flooding events in the valley.

This new rock armour slows the water down to prevent it carrying away the railway embankment and leaving the track suspended in the air, which leads to trains being stopped for significant periods.

The newly better protected Conwy Valley line has already been tested as Storm Francis hit the area at the end of August when heavy rain meant access to the site was flooded, but the railway itself was not damaged during the extreme weather.

Now the resilience work has been complete Transport for Wales will carry out driver refresher training following the long closure of the line ahead of services restarting on 28 September - a rail replacement service will continue for passengers in the meantime.

Bill Kelly, Network Rail’s route director for Wales and Borders, said: “I am delighted that the Conwy Valley Line is now better protected as extreme weather has forced it to be closed too often in recent years.

“We have worked around the clock in recent months to not just repair the line, but to make it more resilient so we can help to prevent these long closures in the future.

“I would like to thank passengers and the communities we serve along the line for their patience as this significant investment was delivered.”

Rail Minister Chris Heaton-Harris said: “The Conwy Valley line is a vital link for many local communities in north Wales, and this investment will improve the resilience of that crucial route during extreme weather.

“Upgrading the railway defences will help prevent lengthy closures for passengers, avoid frustrating rail replacement services, and deliver a more reliable timetable people can depend on.”

Martyn Brennan, operations director at Transport for Wales, said: “It is great to see our colleagues in Network Rail progressing with work on the Conwy Valley line and we will reinstate rail services on 28th September, following driver route refresher training.

“I’d like to thank customers for their patience and ask that they continue to check services online. We will continue to provide transport links using replacement buses.”

While TfW’s crucial driver training is taking place, Network Rail will carry out maintenance work on the line, such as replacing sleepers. This work was scheduled to be carried out at night-time, but the opportunity to do it during the day when trains are not running means less disruption for people who live near the railway and safer working conditions for railway workers.

Llandudno

Established Member
Great to see the line reopening shortly.

Shame that Mr Drakeford is actively dis encouraging, although not yet outright banning, non necessary journeys

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Great to see the line reopening shortly.

Shame that Mr Drakeford is actively dis encouraging, although not yet outright banning, non necessary journeys

But a trip to the pub before 22.00 could be classed as necessary so all good!! :rolleyes:

Llandudno

Established Member
But a trip to the pub before 22.00 could be classed as necessary so all good!! :rolleyes:
Not just necessary, but essential!

The last train from Llandudno is at 2145, which, of course is normally too early for a night out, but during Covid times, could be quite useful!

fflint

From today's Railway Herald 24 September:

http://railwayherald.com/magazine/preview/703

The Conwy Valley Line from Blaenau Ffestiniog to Llandudno Junction will reopen on 28th September after a lengthy £2.2 million investment to better protect it from extreme weather and flooding.
The line has washed away because of flooding twice in the past two years, which has meant lengthy closures for passengers and local communities
while the railway has been repaired. The improvements to help protect the line have been designed and built by Network Rail, and involve the
installation of 16,000 tonnes of rock armour alongside almost one-and-a-quarter miles of railway between Tal-y-Cafn and Llanrwst, which slows the water down to prevent it undermining railway embankments.The infrastructure stood up well to the latest severe weather, when Storm Francis hit in late August, and while access to the site was flooded, the railway itself was not damaged. Due to the length of closure, Transport for Wales needs to undertake driver refresher runs, so that the individual drivers can update theirroute knowledge ahead of services recommencing on 28th September.
While the driver training is taking place, Network Rail will continue to carry out maintenance work on the line, such as replacing sleepers, during overnight possessions so that the work does not impact on the operational railway.

Last edited by a moderator:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I notice that on restart next week the first and last are scheduled to be covered by road transport. If we look at \the quoted article in Post #45 there will be ongoing Engineering work overnight so that is no doubt the explanation.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
In 'normal times' I would he excited to plan a trip over there and tick off some stations, but unlikely at the moment. Good to see the line reopen though.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
As they haven't had enough time to get extra crew refreshed or route learnt....just the 6 months

There seems to be an ongoing shortage in North Wales and Chester at the moment with several cancellations a day. I don't know the reason but new people having difficulty in training and passing out due to COVID restrictions

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
There seems to be an ongoing shortage in North Wales and Chester at the moment with several cancellations a day. I don't know the reason but new people having difficulty in training and passing out due to COVID restrictions

Or TfW being pretty poor at what they do?

Llandudno

Established Member
Are they actually going to run any trains on the line tomorrow, or just the ones for ITV news?

It looks as though only three round trips will actually be operated by a train!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Are they actually going to run any trains on the line tomorrow, or just the ones for ITV news?

It looks as though only three round trips will actually be operated by a train!

Yes. Three cancellations now for same reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.