• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Copenhagen to Hamburg - which side of the train to sit for the best views?

Seems I can select our seats on the train - any advice on which side of the train has the best views, please.

We like spotting interesting buildings, bridges as well as countryside.

Am I correct in thinking the train will cross the Kiel canal using the famous Rendsburg bridge and if so which side would get the best view.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
Seems I can select our seats on the train - any advice on which side of the train has the best views, please.

We like spotting interesting buildings, bridges as well as countryside.

Am I correct in thinking the train will cross the Kiel canal using the famous Rendsburg bridge and if so which side would get the best view.

I would say that the south (to Lunderskov)/east (south of Lunderskov) side is slightly better. At Rendsburg you go round in a circle!

Veteran Member
I would say that the south (to Lunderskov)/east (south of Lunderskov) side is slightly better. At Rendsburg you go round in a circle!
Agreed. Definitely left for the last bit of the circle and for looking back after crossing the Hochbrücke. And Neumünster carriage works IIRC.
But the Odense railway museum is on the right...

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Just a note that there is a mix of compartment, open and hybrid (Bvmmz) carriages in the current configuration of this train. You’ll obviously get better views in an open carriage, so try to reserve or choose seats in cars 7, 8, or 9 in second class; or in the middle open section (seats 43-96) of cars 5, 6, or 10. The first class carriage is only compartments.

Put your train number into Vagonweb for composition and seat maps: https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/

Where am I missing the sign for direction of travel on the seat reservation page on DB?

I want to chose forward facing seats but can't see the direction of travel - do I assume that 1st class is always at the front and hence direction of travel follows from that?

The diagram also doesn't make the location of the windows obvious.

nwales58

FWIW vagonweb shows first at the back southbound, planned, and occasionally actually at the front.

Or use IC + RE7 from Flensburg for free seating, with the extended journey times in June it takes about 40' longer than the EC using ICLyn Copenhagen-Kolding.

(couple of corrections: I'm planning this too but had a jumble of May and June when Copenhagen-Odense takes 15' longer)

Last edited: