• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coping strategies for the time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattA7

As it appears that the current situation Regarding restrictions, lockdown etc will unfortunately be around for a considerable amount of time being. What plan does anyone have for coping especially if like me it is having a significant impact on physical and mental health.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bantamzen

Established Member
Truthfully I don't have one. Originally I had planned to take my wife & I away for a couple of weeks in the sun, but options are limited & the risk of isolation whilst not an issue for me working from home, would not work for my self employed wife. So sitting by a pool at the family villa in the South of Spain is off, as is being able to meet some of my family at least before Christmas. So I'm rapidly running out of ideas, and running out of patience fast. I'll keep heading out walking & shopping, but the Autumnal weather is closing in & queuing outside supermarkets is going to become a bit more nasty, walking not as enjoyable, thus the pubs will be getting hit up.

And if any lockivists get in my face when I am about my business, they'll get a tirade of abuse!!

MikeWM

Established Member
I'm not entirely sure either. I'm quite fortunate in that I'm quite a loner to begin with, and I've been able to continue to work from home - so this affects me rather less than many other people - though I've still felt some quite dramatic mood swings over the last few months, probably the most dramatic since I was last diagnosed/treated for depression many years ago.

One thing I would say is don't feel bad about not doing stuff. This *may* be a good opportunity to catch up on DIY or learn a language or something else, but don't feel you must, or that you're failing if you don't. There's a load of things I could have got done in the last six months that I haven't, but so what? If the best way for you to cope is to watch a TV boxset or play video games, then do that!

duncanp

Established Member
A lot depends on your personal situation, but in general I would say limit your use of social media and news broadcasts (whether on TV, radio or online) . Do not watch the news immediately before going to bed, for example.

Switch off your phone/device at night.

Don't spend any time arguing with people who disagree with you on any aspect of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Don't worry what other people think of you.

Try and get out and enjoy some leisure time doing an activity that you like.

Make use of relaxation techniques. For example there are plenty of videos on YouTube that teach you meditation and deep breathing and remember that meditation is only one letter different from medication.

Keep in touch with friends and family as much as you possibly can, given your personal circumstances.

BJames

Established Member
One thing I would say is don't feel bad about not doing stuff. This *may* be a good opportunity to catch up on DIY or learn a language or something else, but don't feel you must, or that you're failing if you don't. There's a load of things I could have got done in the last six months that I haven't, but so what? If the best way for you to cope is to watch a TV boxset or play video games, then do that!
I completely agree with this. I had gone into the first lockdown thinking that I'd come out fluent in a second language and having done a lot of work to my house and I just didn't. But I'm glad I didn't pile extra stress onto myself at the time.

MattA7

Thank you for the response and suggestions.

I did consider going to live with my fathers family abroad as first off all I would be around more family and secondly they have almost normality over there despite having almost the same number of cases as the UK (although a lot less deaths) however I probably couldn’t afford to do so and cause too much stress which I’m trying to avoid

pre lockdown I used to have a evening college course and went to the nearby city at least once a week which is now no longer feasible.

bramling

Veteran Member
As it appears that the current situation Regarding restrictions, lockdown etc will unfortunately be around for a considerable amount of time being. What plan does anyone have for coping especially if like me it is having a significant impact on physical and mental health.

Consider partaking in civil disobedience, ignore as many of the measures as possible, and be off-ish to those who stick their nose into one’s own business.

Unfortunately that’s about the gist of it. Meanwhile do as many activities as possible which are unaffected by all this - which is basically rural walking and the like.

DelW

Established Member
Try to get as much enjoyment as you can each day from what you are able to do.
Try not to regret or obsess about what you aren't able to do.
Take one day or week at a time and deal with the future when it comes.
As recommended by MD in Private Eye, keep washing your hands and keep 2m away from people you don't know wherever possible.
That's about it for me ;)

telstarbox

Established Member
Exercise if you can, even if that's just a walk around the block once a day. It should help you to sleep and will allow you to clear your head. Now is a good time to start and then if you can carry on into the winter you'll be doing well.

Keep an eye on bad foods and booze (if you partake!)

Yew

Established Member
I'm wondering if it's time to start organising.

MattA7

I’m suffering severe Insomnia which is a nightmare although I’m probably not the only one as I did see my neighbor putting washing out at 4am one night she also mowed the lawn in the pouring rain last week.

as for bad food and bad habits I’m actually very underweight and since the lockdown have lost even more weight due to not feeling up to cooking a proper meal (or cleaning the dishes afterwards) when I do eat I often try to have high fat/calorie foods. I don’t drink for religious reasons however have been smoking more heavily since this all began

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
A lot depends on your personal situation, but in general I would say limit your use of social media and news broadcasts (whether on TV, radio or online) . Do not watch the news immediately before going to bed, for example.

Switch off your phone/device at night.

Don't spend any time arguing with people who disagree with you on any aspect of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Don't worry what other people think of you.

Try and get out and enjoy some leisure time doing an activity that you like.

Make use of relaxation techniques. For example there are plenty of videos on YouTube that teach you meditation and deep breathing and remember that meditation is only one letter different from medication.

Keep in touch with friends and family as much as you possibly can, given your personal circumstances.
Fantastic advice. I have stopped all politicians in the USA from my twitter feed. Tell me the last time you saw good news on the TV - it tends to report bad and depressing stufff. And definitely NOT before bed.

Domh245

Established Member
Agreed with a lot of @duncanp's points, especially about cutting out news/arguing and social media (and that includes this forum), especially when you're really feeling down - the amount of times I've typed out a response to something in this subforum and then just hit "Delete draft" and closed the tab is too many to count. Similarly, try to spend a good amount of time doing things you enjoy or that help you relax if you can. The only other thing I can suggest is reminding yourself that some day this will all be over and things will be better. It's a tough sell at times (especially if you've just checked facebook/the news/this forum) but it's that bit of hope that can help keep you going.

duncanp

Established Member
Also, I don't want to sound condescending but don't make the mistake I did 31 years ago - Alcohol is a CNS- Central Nervous System DEPRESSANT

I was just going to add, be careful with alcohol and other unhealthy habits like fast food or gambling.

These are not too much of a problem in moderation, and indeed an occasional trip to the pub to meet up with friends, or a nice plate of fish and chips, can give a boost to your mental health.

Bayum

Established Member
Get a hobby or project. Something to keep you busy. Go out for days in the car if able to drive.

Jamiescott1

I obviously can never understand what you or anyone else is going through so dont want to sound patronising. But my coping mechanisms are-

Getting up early(ish) - before 830am if not working

Excercise or a walk daily (even if the weather is awful, push yourself to get out of the house)

Freshly cooked food for lunch and dinner. Be at a homemade soup, stew etc.

Avoid social media and the comments section on local newspapers

Limit alcohol. E.g only drink a max of 3 nights a week and make sure its nughts not days

If you can get out then get out be it a weekend away, a day trip somewhere once a week. Something to break up the routine and give yourself something to look forward to.

Engage with people on this forum. They're a supportive bunch

nlogax

Established Member

Or 'don't watch the news at all'. As ostrich-in-the-sand as that may sound, tv and radio news is so intent on driving drama and fear I'm not entirely sure it's worth watching. My personal view is that it's as much as a depressant as alcohol.

One positive recommendation is looking for variety and activity in your life wherever you can get it. Driving to new places is good..walking is even better. The exercise element is so important.

bramling

Veteran Member
Fantastic advice. I have stopped all politicians in the USA from my twitter feed. Tell me the last time you saw good news on the TV - it tends to report bad and depressing stufff. And definitely NOT before bed.

Yes not watching the news is really sound advice, though at times it’s hard not to. I tend to watch the press previews (Sky being slightly better than BBC) as at least that gives a bit of an analysis of the news, rather than the diet of doom and gloom.

Worst thing is to have something rolling like news 24 as background when at home or work. Not only is it doom and gloom but the same doom keeps getting repeated.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Or 'don't watch the news at all'. As ostrich-in-the-sand as that may sound, tv and radio news is so intent on driving drama and fear I'm not entirely sure it's worth watching. My personal view is that it's as much as a depressant as alcohol.

I did that in the run up to Brexit day. Was much happier that way than watching a load of flag-clad imbeciles in parliament square drinking and singing without a faintest idea what they were celebrating about.

I kept it going until this Corona-watsit made me pay attention again.

MattA7

As far as news and social media goes I have limited visiting news sites to twice a day and avoiding family members social media especially of those abroad (no point seeing clips of them going around living a fairly normal life)

duncanp

Established Member
One tip I have found useful when going to the pub is to decide in advance how much I am going to drink, and only take just enough cash (no cards) to cover the cost.

eg. In my local one of my favourite beers costs £3.40 per pint, so if I decide I am going to have 3 pints, I take £10.20 in cash and no cards at all.

That way it is impossible to drink more than you intended to do, which can be very easy to do if you are anxious or depressed.

Also be wary of keeping alcohol in the house, as it is very easy to reach for a bottle or can when you hear an item of bad news, and there are an awful lot of those around at the moment.

talldave

Established Member
I haven't watched TV news for more than 5 years. I browse through the BBC news app each morning and dip into Twitter for a laugh.

Never use Facebook.

Ignore everything the government says - I don't do masks, I don't know what a bubble is, I don't use trains, I have no idea who's allowed to do what but I don't care.

Walk out of any shop that points a thermometer at you, never to return. Don't visit any business that insists masks must be worn.

Actively support local cafes that don't have stupid mask signs up.

Frequently visit the branch of Costa coffee that gives freebies to non mask wearers.

Have a child, or borrow one - maintaining a sense of normality without ever mentioning viruses is challenging but why should they have to suffer from this s**t? I haven't quite perfected this one though, as our 4 year old will pull his shirt over his face and stagger around saying "I've got a face covering and I can't see where I'm going". Since we never mention face coverings I have no idea where that came from!

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
A child or a pet, maybe you could borrow one
I like to vary my routine, do things in a different order

I am re-reading books I already read years ago, many are worth reading again

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I think one of the best remedies for coping is not to get too engrosed in the constant media coverage. If you have to watch the news, just limit it, to say the ITN bulletin at 6.30pm. Newspapers can affect moods too.

I think Social Media isn't great either, although that's me being biased about Facebook and Instagram which I hate with a passion.

As someone said, go to bed at a decent time and switch your mobile phone off from any distractions. Sleeping helps to rest your body and relieve stresses and anxieties, so this is beneficial to the overall state of mind.

Alcohol isn't great for low moods - avoid binge drinking in the house. If you do drink - do it modestly about twice a week. Look at the 10pm licencing restrictions as a bonus to not staying out late and ruining the day after.

Reading novels is a good way of escapism - try to avoid reading anything a bit too unsettling like true crime books.

There is not a lot of choice on the box at present apart from the odd drama, and I hate soaps and crap like Strictly Come Dancing. Maybe get into a TV series on Netflix or buy the DVD box set. I've got into watching some retro programmes like Minder and The Equalizer, which are decent entertainment and takes your mind off things. Avoid the Walking Dead - that is pretty obvious why!

Try and just spend some time out doors - go for a random drive out, even its just for an hour. I live in the North West, so there are plenty of canal walks, or beauty spots to visit. Avoid places like the Trafford Centre or Cheshire Oaks.

Even though the Winter is drawing in - try and make best of the daylight, particularly on a dry decent day.

CJ

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
  • Engage in a sport (preferably a team sport, and preferably one that results in plenty of endorphins being released)
  • Do plenty of walks (and consider running/cycling if possible) - walking between two different railway stations can be a good way to explore new areas.
  • Talk to like-minded people about how you feel (I am lucky; no shortage at my workplace and it really does help!)
  • Organise/attend any events relating to any hobbies/interests you possibly can, according to your interests

If anyone reading this would benefit from any of the below, get in touch as here are some ways I personally can try to help (if you are up for it):
  • Put your name down for a forum pub meet / forum meal; if you have not yet attended one you can have your meal on us. Feel free to contact me directly to enquire.
  • We can organise a 'talk and walk' session where people go for walks and chat on the phone. This helped me immensely during 'lockdown' when I regularly went for walks of anything from 1 hour to 4 hours while chatting to family members, colleagues and forum members. Although I am much busier now than I was, if this would help anyone reading this, please do contact me and we will organise something!
  • If you are interested in railway ticketing matters, put your name down for a free fares workshop (this has, in some cases, led to several forum members with a particular interest in this area being offered paid employment opportunities; this should never be a reason to attend but it gives you an idea of the impact they can have)
  • In the incredibly unlikely event anyone reading this lives in the York area and wants to play recreational non-competitive football, I can help you with this and even offer you a free game (yes I really am clutching at straws with this one!!)
The biggest risk for most of the population is absolutely NOT the risks associated with getting the virus but the risks of low mood, depression, anxiety, etc.... all of these things are not good for your immune system either.

takno

Established Member
Not really bothering to do something properly can be quite liberating. I'm learning foreign languages on Duolingo, but 8 of them at once. If I don't make any progress then I built my excuse upfront.

Hefty curating of social media is smart - anything that even slightly annoys me on Twitter or Facebook and I'll be straight on the mute or hide options, and often hide friends for 30 days.

Walking in winter I've always been quite keen on. It's better if you can do it in daytime hours, and starting work early or finishing late so you can get the daylight outside time is priceless to me.

Alcohol I'm dealing with a lot better than when I drank my way through the first 3 months. Keeping it to 3 days a week and losing the weight I gained feels pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.