• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Copy Pit line cab ride video

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersi

I’ve never seen a cab ride of the Copy Pit line.
It’s got very nice scenery and I think it’s well worth a watch
Got to time stamp at around 27 minutes.
Unfortunately the weather was not great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
Nice video, despite the weather! Thanks for posting. I always think of the Copy Pit line as being like the Settle-Carlisle in miniature....but with sharper curves, steeper gradients and lower line speeds. As well as frequently travelling over the line, I often go walking close to it and there are some superb photo/filming locations....especially for steam specials and the Preston-Lindsey tanks.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
There's also the return journey Blackburn to Manchester Victoria via Todmorden. Is it really necessary for the line speed to be only 45mph between Gannow Junction and Todmorden? There's a separate video from Bamber Bridge to Blackburn too.

What we now need is a video from Preston to Bamber Bridge! I wonder if Don Coffey might oblige with a complete journey through to Yorkshire?

D6130

Established Member
Is it really necessary for the line speed to be only 45mph between Gannow Junction and Todmorden?
The line speed is 45 mph from Gannow Junction to a point about half a mile East of Copy Pit Summit, thence 40 to Stansfield Hall Junction. This is due to a combination of steep gradients and sharp curves. Additionally there is a 20mph restriction of nearly a mile on the Down Line between Cornholme and the East end of Lydgate Viaduct, due to constant geological problems (hillside movement)....in order to enable drivers to stop short of any landslip which may obstruct the line. More recently, there has been a 'temporary' speed restriction of 20 mph in both directions over Portsmouth LC for about five years....as a result of a near-miss with a transit van on the user-worked crossing, involving a train on which my wife and I were travelling. Most of the line is limited to 20 or 25 mph for freight trains.

Last edited:

S&CLER

There's also the return journey Blackburn to Manchester Victoria via Todmorden. Is it really necessary for the line speed to be only 45mph between Gannow Junction and Todmorden? There's a separate video from Bamber Bridge to Blackburn too.

What we now need is a video from Preston to Bamber Bridge! I wonder if Don Coffey might oblige with a complete journey through to Yorkshire?
I have a 2-DVD cab ride called Riding the Colas Oil Train Preston to Lindsey. It lasts about 270 minutes and was issued by Videoscene of Lytham. They have a website www.videoscene.co.uk.

Last edited:

Efini92

Established Member
The line speed is 45 mph from Gannow Junction to a point about half a mile East of Copy Pit Summit, thence 40 to Stansfield Hall Junction. This is due to a combination of steep gradients and sharp curves. Additionally there is a 20mph restriction of nearly a mile on the Down Line between Cornholme and the East end of Lydgate Viaduct, due to constant geological problems (hillside movement)....in order to enable drivers to stop short of any landslip which may obstruct the line. More recently, there has been a 'temporary' speed restriction of 20 mph in both directions over Portsmouth LC for about five years....as a result of a near-miss with a transit van on the user-worked crossing, involving a train on which my wife and I were travelling. Most of the line is limited to 20 or 25 mph for freight trains.
I think the 45 is more for the level of Maintenance required. The lower the linespeed the less maintenance is required.
The near miss wasn’t really a near miss, just a driver using as an excuse to get the rest of his job covered.

D6130

Established Member
I think the 45 is more for the level of Maintenance required. The lower the linespeed the less maintenance is required.
The section between Burnley Manchester Road and Copy Pit is much straighter than the rest of the line and - with a bit of expenditure - could probably be OK for a 60 limit for passenger trains, but Copy Pit to Tod is much more sharply-curved and has little or no potential for higher speeds. Both sides of the hill are very steeply-graded with little chance of uphill trains reaching more than the current speed limits, so probably not worth the additional maintenance expenditure.
The near miss wasn’t really a near miss, just a driver using as an excuse to get the rest of his job covered.
I can confirm that the driver completed their turn of duty. It was a Blackpool man going home! :D

Efini92

Established Member
The section between Burnley Manchester Road and Copy Pit is much straighter than the rest of the line and - with a bit of expenditure - could probably be OK for a 60 limit for passenger trains, but Copy Pit to Tod is much more sharply-curved and has little or no potential for higher speeds. Both sides of the hill are very steeply-graded with little chance of uphill trains reaching more than the current speed limits, so probably not worth the additional maintenance expenditure.

I can confirm that the driver completed their turn of duty. It was a Blackpool man going home! :D
Id have said 60 for the spacing between signals. But like you said it’s not worth it for the trains travelling uphill. I’m sure the 195’s could manage it.
Ahh there must have been two that day as a vic man reported a near miss as well, he didn’t finish his job.

Mike99

Thanks for posting, I've always lived on the South Coast and last three years in the East Midlands but I always try to take in this journey on an ALR, I think its very scenic.

warwickshire

On Moderation
I’ve never seen a cab ride of the Copy Pit line.
It’s got very nice scenery and I think it’s well worth a watch
Got to time stamp at around 27 minutes.
Unfortunately the weather was not great.
I have one 1993 railvision northwest cab ride number 7.
Liverpool Lime Street, Manchester Victoria, rochdale via Calder valley and Bradford Interchange to Leeds.
Showing the line back then by railvision off warrington.
Iff only we could turn back time and see the traction and enjoy the good times once more. And not a 195 in sight.

Efini92

Established Member
I have one 1993 railvision northwest cab ride number 7.
Liverpool Lime Street, Manchester Victoria, rochdale via Calder valley and Bradford Interchange to Leeds.
Showing the line back then by railvision off warrington.
Iff only we could turn back time and see the traction and enjoy the good times once more. And not a 195 in sight.
Can you post that? I’ve heard about this video but have never seen it. I believe the train is well over the linespeed in places. The good old days before black boxes ha ha

warwickshire

On Moderation
Can you post that? I’ve heard about this video but have never seen it. I believe the train is well over the linespeed in places. The good old days before black boxes ha ha
Easiest way is www.worthpoint.com go into search on website for 1993 railvision northwest cab ride no 7 for the above and it will show it on their apparently it states some copies are still available for purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.