• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cornwall Metro funding approved

Brush 4

I think you meant 'a substantial increase in usage of Par-Newquay and the intermediate stations'. Not sure what an uptick is but, probably found on deer or hedgehogs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
Uptick : a small increase or slight upward trend.
I think it's more specific than that. It's when a graph of something against time takes an upward turn. So an upward trend that has been continuing for a long time would not be an uptick.

My impression is that journalists, politicians, economists etc have recently taken to using "uptick" where they might previously have said "upturn".

Meerkat

Established Member
I think it's more specific than that. It's when a graph of something against time takes an upward turn. So an upward trend that has been continuing for a long time would not be an uptick.

My impression is that journalists, politicians, economists etc have recently taken to using "uptick" where they might previously have said "upturn".
It’s management/consultant speak - they could just say increase but that wouldn’t sound clever enough.

The Ham

Established Member
It’s management/consultant speak - they could just say increase but that wouldn’t sound clever enough.

According to the OED it was first used in 1950 in a American newspaper, it's implied that it's a word which is used in America more than the UK - which is perhaps why it has the feel of management speak.

The Cambridge dictionary's examples sound a little more American, like "Movies sometimes see an uptick in revenue after an Oscars win."

Lurcheroo

I just googled the definite of ‘uptick’ and posted exactly what it said. Of course these things are open to interpretation in language, but that is the definition.

zwk500

Veteran Member
According to the OED it was first used in 1950 in a American newspaper, it's implied that it's a word which is used in America more than the UK - which is perhaps why it has the feel of management speak.
Presumably it's related to the Stock Ticker, which US Journalists and Politicians keep very close eyes on.

To be fair, 'uptick' is usually used to mean a quite specific sharp increase over a short period of time (forming a tick on a graph), whereas 'increase' can be slow or fast and over any period of time.

Meerkat

Established Member
Presumably it's related to the Stock Ticker, which US Journalists and Politicians keep very close eyes on.

To be fair, 'uptick' is usually used to mean a quite specific sharp increase over a short period of time (forming a tick on a graph), whereas 'increase' can be slow or fast and over any period of time.
I find it’s mainly used by professional bluffers, and has now been picked up by all sorts of people trying to sound more expert than they really are.
As you may have gathered I hate it!
but anyway back to Cornwall - Are there any plans to improve Newquay station when the extra platform is put in? The whole block could really do with redevelopment!

Brush 4

It has only been around for about a year or so, and TV reporters/correspondents say uptick all the time now. Sheep mentality, copying others so as to be seen to be trendy. Increase was fine before, it is fine now.

The ugly 60's or 70's shop block currently hiding Newquay station needs to be demolished and the station opened up with a plaza and seats and perhaps a Coffee stall or similar. It is behind the single storey section but, all of it is ugly.

snowball

Established Member
I just googled the definite of ‘uptick’ and posted exactly what it said. Of course these things are open to interpretation in language, but that is the definition.
It is *a* definition. Different sources will give different definitions. Just googling doesn't guarantee the most carefully worded one.

I've been seeing it for several years.

jeemac

I never though my original use of the term 'uptick' would have been so contentious! o_O I just want my next journey to Newquay to be better :D

Lurcheroo

I never though my original use of the term 'uptick' would have been so contentious! o_O I just want my next journey to Newquay to be better :D
Haha, I thought the same lol! Well fingers crossed it will see some improvements soon.