• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nlogax

Established Member
Work from home. Follow government advice.

PS you both might find the choice taken away from you.

Right now beyond the travel restrictions my employer has put in place they're not advising working in our UK org to work from home. Inevitably that will change in coming weeks and months. Government advice or restrictions will naturally be paramount.

Howardh

Established Member
What are people doing with regards to travel when it comes to this hobby? Just getting on with things or considering whether being on a busy train could be risky?

I ask as I was looking into a trip to Cardiff either later this week or next week but I'm now starting to wonder whether I should be making trips of this nature whilst this is around. I was certainly wary whilst out on Merseyrail last week - kept well away from people with suitcases :lol:
Holland next week, still going. It's just I have to keep my eye on two countries instead of one.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Right now beyond the travel restrictions my employer has put in place they're not advising working in our UK org to work from home. Inevitably that will change in coming weeks and months. Government advice or restrictions will naturally be paramount.

I agree - I suspect we have to prepare for restrictions though.

Holland next week, still going. It's just I have to keep my eye on two countries instead of one.

at present no issue. Keep abreast of the news and judge accordingly.

Master29

Established Member
I heard two out of a hundred which sounds a fairly high mortality rate for a virus but that number will surely be higher for people with various complications. A similar pattern usually happens on a lesser scale each year but with this added nasty will surely impact as has been pointed out.

The_Train

Established Member
I will follow the advice given by the government. You should to.

Having seen an earlier post from yourself with regards to Boris and the singing of a certain anniversary song whilst washing hands, maybe we should consider doing the opposite of what the government say ;)

The_Train

Established Member
I'm still making my regular trips to my hub office on busy trains & into a very busy office. Here in Yorkshire the alert status has been updated from "It'll be reet" to "It'll be reet after a pint or two", but otherwise the panic buying and crippling paranoia of that guy opposite coughing hasn't yet kicked in. I've yet to see a face mask.

But you could use this heightened state of awareness to your advantage if your train is full, just strike up a conversation on how Wuhan was lovely if a bit quiet, cough a little (into a tissue of course), then take your pick of the emptied seats.... ;):D

(Joking of course, maybe.....)

I think the Yorkshire alert should be the national standard to be honest :lol:

As for the bit about getting a seat on a crowded train, if you hear of a full scale passenger evacuation somewhere between the south west and the Midlands, you know I've taken your advice :E

Temple Meads

Established Member
I find the potential damage to the economy and personal finances far more concerning than the virus itself. Some people do not have the option of working from home - for instance, my occupation relies on a large office building being open. Hopefully the government will put in place a scheme to recompense people out of pocket from any closures...

sprunt

A Taiwan public transport update: Everything is running as normal. Indeed, life is going on more or less as normal.

Despite what you're reading in the media, the same is happening here. My daily commute into the City of London is no quieter. The shops are just as busy. There are people everywhere, just getting on with their lives.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Despite what you're reading in the media, the same is happening here. My daily commute into the City of London is no quieter. The shops are just as busy. There are people everywhere, just getting on with their lives.

of course there are. The issue is what happens if things change and the virus becomes more prevalent. There will come a point where people stop deciding to go into work. That hasn't been reached.

Journeyman

Established Member
of course there are. The issue is what happens if things change and the virus becomes more prevalent. There will come a point where people stop deciding to go into work. That hasn't been reached.

I don't think it's far off, though, and it's not helped by the apocalyptic tone of the media coverage.

My view is that, at the moment, it presents little to no risk to me, and I will carry on living my life as normal, but there's already people stockpiling and barricading themselves into their houses, which is irresponsible and unnecessary. People need to sit down and think carefully about the risks, and based on the facts we have so far, the risks to people in the UK who haven't travelled to an area with a serious outbreak are tiny.

I appreciate that may change, but as yet, it's not happened.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I don't think it's far off, though, and it's not helped by the apocalyptic tone of the media coverage.

My view is that, at the moment, it presents little to no risk to me, and I will carry on living my life as normal, but there's already people stockpiling and barricading themselves into their houses, which is irresponsible and unnecessary. People need to sit down and think carefully about the risks, and based on the facts we have so far, the risks to people in the UK who haven't travelled to an area with a serious outbreak are tiny.

I appreciate that may change, but as yet, it's not happened.

i don't think it is irresponsible to keep some long life tins in just in case. That has served me well in the past when I lost my job!

I also don't agree the media are being apocalyptic or anything. They are setting out clear facts in a sensible fashion.

Journeyman

Established Member
i don't think it is irresponsible to keep some long life tins in just in case. That has served me well in the past when I lost my job!

Oh, certainly, that is indeed just sensible. I'm talking about people buying a year's supply of pasta or hundreds of toilet rolls (I've seen media reports of this happening).

I also don't agree the media are being apocalyptic or anything. They are setting out clear facts in a sensible fashion.

Not sure I agree there. I think there's some alarming headlines knocking about that are just going to scare people into doing stupid things.

Scousemouse

Whenever i've pointed out on social media that the vast majority don't have to worry its only the old or already ill that seem to die, the reactions seem akin to suggesting i've promoted eugenics.

Fact is we all have to die, and if you are old and ill with a chronic condition, you are more susceptible.

My step father and my mother are both at risk but have said, in their late 70s, they'd rather go from corona virus than cancer.

Bantamzen

Established Member

As for the bit about getting a seat on a crowded train, if you hear of a full scale passenger evacuation somewhere between the south west and the Midlands, you know I've taken your advice :E

:lol:

I must admit I haven't used this method yet, but I did once secure a spot on a packed class 308 the morning after I had a particularly garlicy batch of garlic mushrooms with a pizza.... :E

Journeyman

Established Member
Whenever i've pointed out on social media that the vast majority don't have to worry its only the old or already ill that seem to die, the reactions seem akin to suggesting i've promoted eugenics.

Fact is we all have to die, and if you are old and ill with a chronic condition, you are more susceptible.

My step father and my mother are both at risk but have said, in their late 70s, they'd rather go from corona virus than cancer.

Absolutely right. Someone sufficiently frail can quickly develop life-threatening complications from things which anyone younger and healthier would fight off in five minutes - like a cold.

Howardh

Established Member
I agree - I suspect we have to prepare for restrictions though.
at present no issue. Keep abreast of the news and judge accordingly.
I'm staying in Haarlem.
There's a case of suspected coronavirus in...you've guessed it.
I hope it's a false positive, or a positive negative, or a whatever they call it these days.

Journeyman

Established Member
I'm staying in Haarlem.
I hope it's a false positive, or a positive negative, or a whatever they call it these days.

The thing is, (a) the chances of you being anywhere near anyone who has been in contact with them are very low, (b) the likelihood of you contracting the disease is also very low, and (c) the mortality rate is very low. I'd say there's very little to panic about.

Howardh

Established Member

Here in Lancashire the alert has been updated from "soft southerners" to "bloody soft southerners". Usually means we increase our defensive measures by eating two black puddings a day topped with three pints of mild, looking outside and repeating the Lancashire National Anthem "It Might Clear Up Later" and blocking the M6 just north of Stoke*.

*So just like any other day, then.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Not sure I agree there. I think there's some alarming headlines knocking about that are just going to scare people into doing stupid things.

Absolutely. Scaremongering headlines make people click on the story, hence more advertising revenue. That's the reality of 'journalism' now.

Howardh

Established Member
The thing is, (a) the chances of you being anywhere near anyone who has been in contact with them are very low, (b) the likelihood of you contracting the disease is also very low, and (c) the mortality rate is very low. I'd say there's very little to panic about.
So if I catch it can I sue.......;)
As you say the chances are slim to none, BUT the worry is if they start to cordon off areas (particulary a large hotel, or airport) and life becomes difficult (ie. can't get home sort of thing).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So if I catch it can I sue.......;)
As you say the chances are slim to none, BUT the worry is if they start to cordon off areas (particulary a large hotel, or airport) and life becomes difficult (ie. can't get home sort of thing).

It's that sort of thing that concerns me more than catching it, to be honest.

Howardh

Established Member
It's that sort of thing that concerns me more than catching it, to be honest.
Thing is they might shut down locations based on someone being there who hasn't been proved positive. If they do that then there could be thousands of shut-downs just because people have a seasonal cough. On the other hand, if they wait for the results and someone IS positive, then by the time of shut-down it's too late.
Maybe we should do what happened during foot-and-mouth, lots of soapy water in containers in public areas so we can wash our hands (was feet in FAM areas)

Bantamzen

Established Member
I'm staying in Haarlem.

That's now't, there have been two cases in Bradford, one in Ilkley & one in Leeds. I commute on trains between Bradford & Ilkley, on my way to..... You guessed it Leeds....

Ho hum... Now't a good sesh & curry won't sort out... :E

The_Train

Established Member
Here in Lancashire the alert has been updated from "soft southerners" to "bloody soft southerners". Usually means we increase our defensive measures by eating two black puddings a day topped with three pints of mild, looking outside and repeating the Lancashire National Anthem "It Might Clear Up Later" and blocking the M6 just north of Stoke*.

*So just like any other day, then.

I was going to make a comment about southerners in my previous responses but bottled it :E

And yes, you won't have to work too hard to block the M6 after Junction 15. Tends to do a decent job all by itself - I just hope those stuck there are closing their air vents and keeping their windows up......

Howardh

Established Member
I don't read them, but unfortunately a lot of people do.
Paper sales are, happily, declining. On the negative side that makes them even more likely to provide sensational headlines on their websites, or their pop-up ads (which adblocker prevents anyhow).

Howardh

Established Member
I was going to make a comment about southerners in my previous responses but bottled it :E

And yes, you won't have to work too hard to block the M6 after Junction 15. Tends to do a decent job all by itself - I just hope those stuck there are closing their air vents and keeping their windows up......
I'm on the M62 tonight travelling into Yaarkshire. Passport's in date and I have my YHIC card, just need to change my currency later today and I'm reet.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Paper sales are, happily, declining. On the negative side that makes them even more likely to provide sensational headlines on their websites, or their pop-up ads (which adblocker prevents anyhow).

In honesty these days the media are far less of a social driver as social media itself. So far my feeds on things like Facebook & Twitter are relatively calm, with most people taking a rather pragmatic approach. But one thread suggesting, for example, that the government were holding back vital information on the outbreak, with some link to a tenuous conspiracy website, and the whole job would go south very quickly!

I'm on the M62 tonight travelling into Yaarkshire. Passport's in date and I have my YHIC card, just need to change my currency later today and I'm reet.

You'll need a visa, medical check-up and a signed statement renouncing all of Mordor, sorry Lancashire....

Oh and you owe us all a pint....

Status
Not open for further replies.