• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Costa Concodria - Recovery and Future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPM

Established Member
I'd be surprised if they manage to patch and refloat her, although this will be the preferred option as it poses the smallest pollution risk. My guess though, is that it will turn out to be too difficult and they will end up cutting her into sections in situ for removal by salvage barges, much in the same way the Tricolour was dealt with. However if she slips off into deeper water they may just extract the fuel and leave her there, assuming she's not blocking any navigating channel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
Well she has a massive gash the length one one side and a boulder lodged into her, on the other side theres whatever damage has been done by resting on rocks and being rolled by the tide. 2/3rds of her cabins are flooded.

newbie babs

There is bad weather reported. The salvage works are getting ready to pump out the 2,400 tonnes of fuel on board in case the boat slips and breaks up.
Lets hope the bad weather does not get there first !!

RPM

Established Member
I'm not 100% sure but I have an idea the fuel might be a very heavy type of fuel oil that requires heating in order to make it sufficiently "liquid" to be pumped out. It could be quite a tricky operation to remove it.

mbonwick

Established Member
It will be HFO (Heavy Fuel Oil), so will require preheating to around 50C before its pumpable. There are special one-way valves ('hot taps') and heated pumps for this operation. Basically a hole is drilled into the side of the tank, the tap put in with heater elements and then once temperature is reached, pumping can begin.

There's also likely to be a fair amount of MGO (Marine Gas Oil) around for use when in port. Thankfully that's nearer to ordinary diesel in consistency.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
It will be HFO (Heavy Fuel Oil), so will require preheating to around 50C before its pumpable. There are special one-way valves ('hot taps') and heated pumps for this operation. Basically a hole is drilled into the side of the tank, the tap put in with heater elements and then once temperature is reached, pumping can begin.

There's also likely to be a fair amount of MGO (Marine Gas Oil) around for use when in port. Thankfully that's nearer to ordinary diesel in consistency.

waw! Are you studdying something to do with this? A v detailed explaination and I never new it was this complex!
Im facinated!

mbonwick

Established Member
Nope, let's just say that I come from a fairly long line of ships engineers, and am rather interested in going to sea for a career ;)

My studies - 1st Year BEng in Materials Engineering - are actually probably more use to the aerospace industry - a lot of the work we do is related to blade manufacture for jet /gas turbine engines.

junglejames

Established Member
That could be a result of free water in the hull shifting during a turn to port to line her up with the harbour entrance.

Thats exactly my thought as to why she went over. Ships dont just fall over.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Dont forget the purifiers. The HFO will be pumped through purifiers before its pumped to the engine(s). This will clean it up and heat it even further. What smelly places they can be, the purifier rooms.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
However, the Herald's two sister ships were sold and remain in service to this day, one each with two different operators. Within Europe!

The ex Pride of Kent has been laid up in Piraeus for ages now. The owners went bankrupt. Infact, she has very recently just been sold for scrap.
The other sister still runs out of Ramsgate.

Last edited:

mbonwick

Established Member
Dont forget the purifiers. The HFO will be pumped through purifiers before its pumped to the engine(s). This will clean it up and heat it even further. What smelly places they can be, the purifier rooms.

I'm not forgetting them, AFAIK the purifying rooms (where water and wax are removed among other things) preheat to around 90C so that it can reach flashpoint under compression in the cylinder.

junglejames

Established Member
Not sure about the temperature, but its something along those lines. Not heard about them being needed for flashpoint purposes. Thought the temperature in the cylinders would have done all that. But yes, cleans the HFO of all the crap, and heats it, certainly enough to enable it to enter the pumps.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The ex Pride of Kent has been laid up in Piraeus for ages now. The owners went bankrupt. Infact, she has very recently just been sold for scrap.
The other sister still runs out of Ramsgate.

The three Herald class vessels were:

Herald of Free Enterprise - recovered after her accident, scrapped at Kaohsiung in Taiwan ( not Alang as is sometimes stated ) under the name of Flushing Range. While under tow to Taiwan she was nearly wrecked off South Africa when the tow lines parted!

Pride of Free Enterprise - currently the Oleander with Transeuropa Ferries but is now used by Comarit between Alegciras and Tanger Med. Was briefly Pride of Bruges following the P&O takeover of Townsend Thoresen. Has she moved back to Ramsgate recently then?

Spirit of Free Enterprise - currently the Athini Marina with G A Ferries. was briefly Pride of Kent after P&O took over Townsend. As you point out, now likely to be scrapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.